Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Corey's FJ with a few mods!

244K views 421 replies 90 participants last post by  CabinCruiser 
#1 ·
First major expensive mod, the Clifford Alarm
http://www.clifford.com/matrix/responder/default.asp
Parts #s from Cartoys do not match up with the site, but mine has two remotes.
One plain remote, and the two way LCD one that acts as a pager too.
It also beeps when the alarm arms itself and disarms.

I also had a separate DEI battery backup alarm installed.
This way if a thief cuts the main battery wires to disconnect the Clifford, the battery backup alarm will wail straight for about 4 hours on its own internal battery.

It is hooked up full time to the main 12v battery to charge it, and if it senses no power, it will wail, and it is just as loud as the siren for the Clifford.
It has a key hole on top to turn it off for when you go to get serviced and they may need to disconnect your main battery.
If you do not disarm it, it will wail when they disconnect your main juice.

Both are state of the art, and better than my DEI Python 650 I had in the 4Runner.

OK, on with a few visible mods.
The Bandi CB antenna mount.
Mount just put on
With 4' Firestik II antenna attached
Unit by itself

Cargo box from the 4Runner.
It fits nicely, but the tie downs in the back of the rig do not match up like in the 4Runner.
There are four of them, but I will have to do some thinking here to secure it.
Do not want it rolling in case the shiny side of the rig ever does a 180.
The cargo box

That is all I am doing today, will work on more over the weekend.
Hope to get the Bentup sliderz installed, and also the Slee/Yakima brackets for the Hi-Lift jack put up on the roof rack.

See less See more
#268 ·
Yes they are, plugs are used to cover the old holes.
Check out Doc 's YouTube installation video.

I am tickled about this mod.
I may get another side rack and install am ARB dual compressor on it.

#274 ·
ARB 12V Twin Air Compressor And Springtail MPAC Molle Side Rack Installed 11-27-2013

ARB 12V Twin Air Compressor And Springtail MPAC Molle Side Rack Installed 11-27-2013

And power hooked up on 11-30-2013

This is a two part mod, as I installed another one of Doc's side racks to hold the ARB CKMTA12 compressor.
The only other item I had to buy was a brass 1/4" NPT male universal coupler from Lowes so my Powertank air hose would mate with the ARB unit.
ARB does not supply this part unless you also buy their hose kit which I did not since the Powertank one will work just fine.

I had to remove two items where the new side rack goes, and they were my fire extinguisher and Maglight.
I will not be remounting the Maglight as I now own several of the small Surefire lights and a Fenix PD35 lights that blows the doors off of the Maglights, and they fit in the palm of my hand.
The fire extinguisher is now mounted to the new rack beside the ARB compressor.

Only hitch mounting the new side rack was I put in the billet blocks with the logo upright, and since this is on the passenger side, you need to turn the billet blocks upside down.
Also with the compressor on there it is heavy, and I found removing the billet mount from where the stock FJs grocery bag mount was and mounting the billet block loosely to the back of the side rack allowed me to align up the mount/rack into the hole back there and mount it.
I was then able to use a small tool as a fulcrum to lift up the rack and align it up with the front billet mount and insert the two bolts there.
Had there not been any weight on the rack I could have mounted it much easier like the drivers side one, but then there would be no way to mount the compressor on it.

I thought it turned out pretty good, and the fire extinguisher is in a very easy spot to grab should the need ever arise to grab it.
The new compressor is very powerful, and I am glad I went with this model over the one you can buy from them that comes in the case and has a one gallon air tank with it too.
Since I will not be running airtools off of the ARB unit and only filling tires, it will work out great.
The CO2 tank excels with running airtools since it can run at a much higher output than the ARB unit.

All the parts laid out with the exception of the Cobalt airhose fitting

A few shots with airhose hooked up/and without, and a closeup of the lighted switch
The blue wire seen in one of the pics is a 4 gauge amp wire running to a distribution amp block, and the two big power wires coming off of the ARB's wiring harness go directly to the distribution block

Rear shot showing both side rack with Powertank and ARB dual compressor

Stinger 100 amp circuit breaker below wired up to my auxiliary battery, an Optima Red Top
Pump is live all the time without needing the key turned on once the ARB switch is energized

There is a distribution block in there somewhere, could not capture it with the camera

Closeup with the switch lit up

Links

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

FJ Cruiser Side Rack with Mounts

Kobalt 1/4-in Brass Universal Coupler
Lowes Item #: 129967 | Model #: SGY-AIR27

Video shot with my Sony DCS-H9 showing fan noise, then when pulling the trigger to fill the tires the pump kicks in.
Wanted to use my GoPro Hero 2 HD, but the battery was dead, and it takes forever to charge via USB.
What is really nice is when you are not squeezing the air trigger, the pump shuts off all the way, but the fans keep running as long as the switch is on.
Pull the trigger again to fill the tires, the pump then kicks on.
This compressor is frackin' cool :D

#276 ·
Thanks Ferby!
If it was not for your thread and the other guy's that posted some of their pics in there, I would never have bought the stand alone model.

Your guy's pics were a great help.

#277 ·
Double Shot mods Installed 3-1-2014

I can run airtools no problem with my CO2 Powertank, but the ARB compressor did not have the reserve capacity to run airtools.
For filling up tires though, the ARB compressor rocks, and I do not waste any CO2 like with the Powertank.

But I wanted to try running a few tools with the ARB compressor, so I bought the ARB one gallon tank from Wil at Sierra Expeditions.
Just installed it today along with a fitting and 10" hose from ARB that goes from the compressor outlet to the new tank.

It can run the drill OK, but it is still not as fast as the CO2 tank.
The new tank will also help out for filling tires, as the compressor will not have to run as long when pulling the trigger on the tire inflator.

Ideally the air hose connection should be on the the bottom of the tank and not the top like I installed it, but unfortunately the hoses quick disconnect would interfere with the shelf there below the MPAC side rack.

Here are a few pics from the installation.

Here is a video taken with my GoPro Hero 2 camera.

Links:

ARB Aluminum Air Tank 1 Gal (4L) from Sierra Expeditions

But wait, there is more...

Since I had to remove the fire extinguisher from the MPAC Side Rack that was next to the air compressor, I relocated it to the MPAC rear rack/table.
It should work out great in that location.

Would have been three mods today, but the item below got help up by bad weather in Fargo, ND via train, and not it is sitting in Spokane.
It is due to land on Monday, so I will get this installed the following weekend.

MP-X Seat Back MOLLE Panel COMBO

#278 ·
Toyo Open Country M/T Tires, Body Mount Chop May-June 2016

Tires 5-27-2016, and body mount chop 6-3-2016.
Two major mods two Fridays in a roll, and while I am on a roll, getting another major mod done next Friday.
See a pattern here :D

It has been a while since my beast has been pampered, it has been like a spa vacation week for it.

Was at Les Schwab Tires last Friday to get a tire rotation and re-balance, and we noticed my Dick Cepek Mountaincats were cupped some on the inside.
Rest of the tread looked OK for 60K+ miles on them, but I said lets go with some new shoes.

I have had my eyes on the Toyo Open Country M/Ts for awhile, so that is what I went with.
The tech mentioned these are going to be very quiet, not noisy like my Cepeks.
The way they make the tread pattern makes them very quiet.
So quiet I can now be serenaded by my Magnaflow muffler, it never sounded better.

Same size as the Cepeks, 285x70x17, but they are a little more aggressive, and the aggressiveness continues down the side of the tire.
They are also higher ply than the old tires.

Have had them on for a week now at almost up to 70 MPH, and the rig does not shake at all, very smooth for an aggressive mud tire.
I like these so much better than the old set.

Only one picture, and yes, my wheels are dirty, in fact the whole rig needs to be scrubbed on the outside, it is a mess from winter still and parking under an old growth fir tree at home, and another three at work.

For the past year my left front tire started rubbing by the mudflap that covers the infamous Toyota body mount that the FJ Cruisers and Tacomas share.
My Old Man Emu front springs that go over the coilovers must be settling a bit.
So the left tire has been grinding away in that area when I turn sharp like when backing up, and if I turned real sharp, it would bind on the metal of the body mount, not good.
And with these new tires being more meaty, it came in contact even more.

I did a search on FJ Cruiser Forums website for a shop that I had visited many years ago after getting my FJ (can you believe it, the rig will be ten years old next month!) and found the thread with the shops name.
They are only a mile or so North of my Toyota dealership, and I called them on Tuesday to get the body mount chop done today at 8 am.

Very great shop that has been in business same location for twenty years.
We talked rear bumpers too, and next Friday morning I am getting the ARB rear bumper installed along with a hitch since they cannot use my Toyota again.

Here are some pics of the body mount and chop.

Before the chop, you can see how the rear of the left front tire made a hole in the flap part that covers the long body mount "nose" that sticks out.

Here is the passenger side with the mount cut off and a cover plate put on to cover the hole.
Also the tech trims the mudflap back some.

You cannot see the new cover here, as the stock flap is still on since he cannot trim it with it being all messed up from the tire.
My dealership did not have any in stock or they would have put one on today and trimmed it like the passenger side one.
It will look much better next week when they put it on, and I will update my build thread here with the new rear bumper too.

The noise is gone now on the left side finally!
The right side never rubbed, as the left side was closer to the rear of the tire on account of the way they align it during an alignment.

Links:

Toyo Open Country M/Ts

Auburn Car Repair & OffRoad

#279 ·
ARB Rear Bumper Installed 6-10-2016

Phase III of a major mod, three Fridays in a row.
After visiting with John at Auburn Car Repair & Off-Road last Friday when I got my body mount chop done, I decided to go for the ARB rear bumper.
Also with ARB right down the road from John's shop, there was no waiting for the bumper to be built from another maker.

The only thing I did not like about the ARB bumper was the silver colored plate that sits on top, so John outsourced it to a local powder coater to do it up in ARB black.
I do not understand why ARB would not have had the top plate in black to more match their front bumpers which are all black.

Also he got in my drivers side front mudflap so the body mount chop is also now complete.
It is a joy not hearing the rear of the tire hitting the body mount, or as it has been for the past week, hitting the ripped mudflap that they left in place to give me some protection from road debris hitting the drivers side of the rig.

Also ordered was the optional ARB hitch receiver which also includes a D ring on top for attaching a recovery or winch line to it.
No need for a hitch mounted shackle like I use to run, but I did add it back in for the last picture just for kicks.

Also John drove in an orange 4 door Wrangler today with some 7" ARB Hi Intensity LED lamps which I am seriously thinking of having him get for me and install there.
I still have a factory Toyota lamp switch I ordered long time ago to do a bumper driving light installation, but I will let them wire it up this time.
Last time I wired up a set of lights it was for the ARB foglamps in my front bumper, and that was near a decade ago.

Time for some pictures.

The backup camera had to be relocated, and we felt the best spot was to onto the spares wheel cap.
The old location was much lower on the face of the stock bumper, and this gives a much broader field of view.
Please excuse the bird doo doo on the wheel :D
I park under a tree at home and work, and I guess my rig is open territory to an outdoor bathroom for them.

Full shot of the new bumper with hitch.
Kind of hard to see the D ring on the upper part, I guess I should have taken a side angle shot too.

Showing the top plate powder coated in black.
That gap on the side where part of the plastic wraparound is suppose to be there for body/bumper compression.

Close-up of the hitch/D ring combo.
Also note the stock backup sensors are fitted into the bumper as well.

Showing the old receiver mount and shackle I have used in the past.
I may leave it on.

Links:

FJ Cruiser ARB rear bumper part # ARB 5620010
Note that the picture from the first FJ Cruiser sent to Australia long ago shows an all silver bumper still.
It does come in black now like mine.
FJ Cruiser ARB rear hitch part # 5720020

And looking ahead to Phase IV, hear are the lamps I am thinking of getting.
One will be a flood, the other a pencil beam.
John says this setup works great.

ARB Intensity LED Driving Lights
The 7" ones are listed further down the page, and I would also get the clear covers to go onto them.

Good video there too.

Feels great to be back into doing a few mods again.
I thought the rear bumper was going to be the last, but after seeing those LED lights in person, I am going to get them.
Overland Journal did a review on these in the 2016 Gear edition on page 31.

#280 ·
The 7" ARB Intensity LED lights and wiring harness are at John's shop, and the installation will take place July the 5th.
Will have pics up of them that day, and probably a video a few days later on a totally dark stretch of road between the Auburn and Kent border on my way into work.

These are totally not street legal, will come in handy when there is no traffic, and for early runs to the mountains.
Nothing like parking at the top of FS Road 72 in Greenwater and watching the sun come up with Mount Rainier in your face.
The sun shining on the mountain before the sun is fully illuminated is mind blowing.

#281 ·
Maxtrax Installed 6-19-2016

I bought these back on September 9th 2013, and now just getting around to installing them :D
It is covering my backup camera now though that is installed on my spare tires wheel cap.
Oh well, do not really use the camera anyways, but I may end up trying to relocate that down the road.

There are instructions that come with the spare tire mount, but they are a bit vague, and I had to do it a little differently than what they detail, as well as the instructions online.
But they are on there good, and I will check it tomorrow morning when I get to work and then again when I get home to see if they loosened up any.

Links:
Maxtrax Australia
Sierra Expeditions
Maxtrax Rear Wheel Harness
Rear Wheel Harness Instructions

This was not my first color of choice, but Sierra back when I ordered them did not have the orange or the green which I would have preferred.
I do have to admit they look cool with that new sexy ARB rear bumper :D

#282 ·
Doh!

I had the top hooks in the middle handles, and they needed to be in the top handles.
Problem rectified at work today.
I could have sworn the instructions said to use the middle handles, but I goofed :D

Now in the correct handles, and this will secure them maybe a little better, not really sure if it makes that much of a difference, but best to do it the way they say.

The spare tire mount for the Maxtrax is rock solid, they are not going anywhere.
Speaking of that, I best throw a cable lock through them and a hole in the wheel, or these may end up walking during the middle of the night.

#283 ·
ARB Intensity LED Lights Installed 7-5-2016

I ran two sets of Hella 500s on my old '91 4Runner, but never got around to getting some decent off road lighting for the FJ until I saw John owner of Auburn Car Repair & Offroad when I went in awhile back for my body mount chop as my tires were rubbing against it.
The Hellas never impressed me that much, but they were older technology.
Enter the high quality LED lighting of today, and these ARB lights are very bright and high quality.

These are not built in Australia like most of ARB products, but built in the USA by Rigid.
ARB partnered up with Rigid Lighting to make these awesome lights.
Here is a video from ARB, and there are many other on YouTube of these lights.

On with some pics, and if I get time I will try and shoot a video of my own showing how bright these puppies are.

Light switch lights up green when the ignition key is on

Light switch lights up amber when the ARB lights are turned on

Lamps off, boy those are big, and they make a 9" lens version too

ARBs on, headlights off

ARBs and low beams on

ARBs and high beams on

I pulled my Hi-Lift jack from its Four Trek's mounts on the bumper to give the tech more room to work, and after putting it back on, it does not cover the new lights at all

I brought a few extra switches with me, but after mulling it over I decided to go with the stock switch.
Also instead of having the switch installed down in the switch cluster on the console, I also decided to have the switch where it is to be able to get to it faster.
John the owner of the shop has his wired so they only come on with the high beams, but I wanted mine wired up so they could come on anytime the ignition switch was energized.
This way too I cannot leave them on accidentally when I turn the key off.

They aimed them for me too at the shop.
Drivers side is a spot, and the passenger side s the flood.
Tomorrow morning at zero dark thirty I will be able to test them out on a long stretch of road on my way into work that has no street lighting.
That is if there is no oncoming traffic.

The pics do not do these justice, as they are blinding to look at.

Links:
ARB Intensity 7" LED Driving Lights - Flood Beam (AR21F)
ARB Intensity 7" LED Driving Lights -Spot Beam (AR21S)
ARB Intensity LED Wire Loom (3500520)
Auburn Car Repair & Offroad

#284 ·
Warn 90287 Wireless Remote Installed 7-9-2016

I really cannot call this an installation, as there is no installation like my old Ramsey wireless winch controller.
I use to run a Ramsey Wireless winch setup on the FJ, but over last weekend I ruined it.
I unspooled my winch line to inspect it, and when I put it back on the spool, the cord that has the plug on it you plug into the Warns controller box got caught on the winchline and ripped it in two.
I could have fixed it, but this was older tech, and I saw in my online search that Warn had out a very simple setup with zero installation.
The Ramsey unit required mounting the receiver underneath the hood, hooking up an antenna, and then running the cable with the plug down to the winches controller box.

With the new Warn unit you just plug the receiver into the control box like you would a wired controller, then use the included remote control.
It does not get much simpler than that.
It also comes with a tether that clips to the receiver, and you take the end with the carabiner and attach it to the winches control box cap that goes over the plug to keep the elements out of the contacts.
This way you can leave it on while wheeling and not loose it.

When I was at the off road shop last Tuesday getting the ARB Intensity LED lights installed, John the owner also has this new Warn Wireless Remote for his Jeeps, and he likes the wireless unit a lot.

Here is a video showing the simplicity of it I found on YouTube.

A few pics:

Pull the cap off of the control box, insert wireless receiver, hook carabiner to pulled cap, and you are setup for wireless

It comes with a nice holster you can Velcro of use a rotating clip to screw to a surface, but I think I am going to leave it in the tray on my center console as that is where I had the Ramsey one

Here is a short video of it.

Links:
Warn 90287 Wireless Remote
Got mine from Amazon, Warn 90287 Wireless Remote

#285 ·
Hi-Lift Jack Moved 7-17-2016

For years my Hi-Lift jack has been angled down with the Fourtrek mounts.
I have to admit the business end of the jack was covering my drivers side headlight some, but not so much that I could not see to drive.

Since having my new ARB Intensity LED lights installed, them and the Hi-Lift was in the way of me getting my hand into the hole on the ARB bumper to access the engage/free spool lever on the Warn XD 9000 winch.
Never had this problem before with just the Hi-Lift there, only after the LED lights were added.

So this morning I took off the Hi-Lift and loosened one end of the Fourtrek mounts (1/4" allen wrench) and angled the knobs pointing to the sky.

Both headlights are now wide open with no jack obscuring any of their light, plus I can now get my right hand into the hole to access the lever on the winch.
This is something I should have done a long time ago, and I am looking forward to seeing if the headlight output has increased with the Hi-Lift out of the way.

One day I may go for some brighter headlights either with a bulb exchange, or the whole lens.
I looked at some of those Halo things online last week, and all I see is terrible reviews of them, and bulbs and wiring harnesses burning out.
No thanks, unless there is a good set of those on the market that are trouble free.

Links:

Fourtek's
Luke is a great guy to work with, have bought numerous mounts from him over the years.
I already had these of course, but if anyone is looking at getting some, I am providing the link.

A few pictures from today

Hi-Lift in its old position, angled down

With the gray bar on the Hi-Lift out of the way, I can now get my hand behind the ARB Intensity LED light to access the lever on the winch, and you can see both headlights with no obstructions

I notice the Hi-Lift more from inside the FJ, but not enough to cause any visibility issues

#286 ·
Demello Dominatorz Sliders Installed 7-22-2016

Ordered June the 22nd, and they arrived July the 22nd.

My current set of sliders have been on the rig since I bought my FJ in July of 2006.
The powder coating is chipped off quite a bit, and it was time for an update.

I checked out Demello's site, and I liked what I saw when I checked out the Dominatorz.
These came with all new hardware, the bolts take a 13 mm socket of ratchet wrench.
I actually used both.

They were packed quite well too as you can see in the first picture below.
I would say it took me a good hour or more to get all the plastic wrap off, then the cardboard, then even more plastic wrap :D

Piece of cake to install, but a lot heavier than my old ones.
Balanced them on my stomach, and used my knees to lift them up so I could align the holes.

Link:
DEMELLO OFF-ROAD DOMINATORZ

A few pictures, and after I wash my rig hopefully tomorrow, I am going to get some better pics to add to my thread here.

For some reason that picture reminds of of those Star Wars Walkers

Also bought a new winchline to replace an old one, and I will update the thread here once it is installed.

Masterpull 8mm (5/16") Superline Winch Line - 21,700 lbs, 75'
8mm (5/16") Superline Winch Extension - 21,700 lbs, 25'
ProLink Thimble
HitchLink 2.0
Channellock 927 8-Inch Retaining Ring Plier
The snap ring pliers are required to secure the titanium pin into the ProLink that goes on the winchline
Jack Cover for the Hi-Lift to cover just the moving parts near the base

#287 ·
Added a few more pics from Saturday of the new Demello sliders.
Please excuse the mess on the ground, that is Ajax powder from scrubbing my tires in the morning when I gave the rig a bath in my parking spot.

I am still sore from installing these on Friday, and in addition to balancing them on my stomach, I used my knees and lower legs to hold them up while aligning up the bolt holes.
Back of my calves are sore too, gettin' too old for crawling under the rig :D

#288 ·
New Recovery Stuff Installed 7-29/30-2016

I took off work a little early yesterday to stop by John's shop, Auburn Car Repair & Offroad.
I bought a Factor 55 1.0 Hawse fairlead earlier in the week, and I knew there were going to be complications with it for having an ARB bumper (they fit others with no modifications I hear) with it not fitting without modifying it first.

The tech there pulled off my roller fairlead, and the space then to put on the Factor 55 one would not allow it to go in.
Some aluminum on each side of the fairlead would need to be shaved some.
Also the lip on the bumper behind where the Hawse sits was up to high, and this would cause the synthetic line rubbing over it and getting worn.
That needed to be ground down as well, and then touched up with some paint.

Today I installed my new Masterpull 75' Superline synthetic winchline.
I also have a 25' Superline extension line if ever needed.
The Factor 55 ProLink is very cool as you can take it off of the winchline without having to weave a synthetic winchline onto a thimble or a hook.
Simply use a snap-ring pliers, and the titanium pin come out, and you remove the small thimble end on the winchline.
This makes it easy too if I ever want to switch to the FlatLink thimble.
Same as the bigger ProLink, but it folds flat against the fairlead instead of protruding like Rudolph's nose.

Links:
8mm (5/16") Superline 75' Winch Line - 21,700 lbs
8mm (5/16") Superline 25' Winch Extension with Cobra Sling Hook - 21,700 lbs
ProLink With Titanium Pin & Rubber Guard Safety Thimble
Factor 55 1.0 Hawse Fairlead

A few pictures:

Very cool attachment point to fasten the winchline to the Warn XD9000s drum
Compare it to the other one on my old line.

Fairlead with no winchline loaded onto to the spool

New line attached to side of drum

Line installed, and ProLink thimble attached

And with shackle with rust already forming in the little side hole on the pin
They have only been on the rig for a few weeks too.

Masterpull 25' extension with its orange hook around shackle
Note the red coloring of the curved part of the shackle.
That is not paint, that is the reflection of the anodized finish of the ProLink thimble on the black shackle.

Another way to hook the extension to the shackle by using the heavy loop end on it, leaving the hook end to attach to a tree saver

I like the look of the new Factor 55 Hawse 1.0 fairlead

I was telling John the owner at the shop Jeeps have it made, the Hawse on his Jeep and others at his shop with ARB bumpers required no modifications to them.
He took back the president of ARB's Jeep, and came back with another AB employees to do some work on it while I was there too.
ARB USA headquarters is just down the street from his shop.

#290 ·
By hand there with me tugging on the line.
Will have to do a proper load under load elsewhere.
I do not think they would appreciate me winching off a tree or the fire hydrant in the parking lot.

#292 ·
Corey, diggin the new sliders. I was thinking of upgrading my old beat up all Pro sliders to those Demellos. Looking at your FJ build gave me mod fever years ago when i got the FJ. Thanks for the inspiration. The inside of you FJ looks as clean as mine. You must be OCD too haha.

#293 ·
Thanks!
I do tend to lean OCD too :D

Over the past few months I have been in overdrive doing new mods to the rig.
I thought the ARB rear bumper would be the last, but is any mod really ever the last?

I really dig these new Demello Dominatorz sliders.
Only thing is the finish is not smooth like my old ones, it has a texture almost like grip tape.
So if you wear shots a lot like I do, you have to swing your left leg out far enough when exiting the rig, or you get scraped a little.

Make sure to tell them when ordering that you are a forum member to get a discount too.

#294 ·
Hi-Lift Lock - Versatile Lock - 1/2" Bolt Lock Installed 8-1-2016

For years I have had my Hi-Lift installed on my ARB bumper using Luke's Fourtrek mounts.
Very nice product, but anyone can come up to them and unscrew the huge wingnut and be off with your Hi-Lift.
So far that has not happened to me as where I live it pretty much is alive 24/7 with someone one walking their dog, or just going for a walk.

But after buying a jackcover from Jackcovers.com, I saw on their site a lock that might work.
I got a hold of Luke at Fourtrek's and asked him for the bolt size used on his mounts, and it is 1/2" x 13 threds per pitch.
I got a hold of Adam at jackcovers.com, and his locks will work with that perfectly.

I now have extra security in case of sticky fingers wanting to pawn my Hi-Lift for meth :D

By the way, Adam is a member on fjcruiserforums.com I found out from him.
Great guy to work with.
You only really need one lock too, and they are not keyed the same, so if you do order two, you will have to carry two keys with you.

Links:

Hi-Lift Lock - Versatile Lock - 1/2" Bolt Lock
Fourtrek Hi-Lift Mounts
11" Jackcover (have not got it installed yet)

A few pictures:

Stock knobs/wingnuts

Full view

New lock

I do have one of his jack covers too for the Hi-Lift, but I need to move my jack some to expose more of the mounting holes so I can get the cover on.
That will happen probably over the upcoming weekend.

#295 ·
Love the new locks! I have the Fourtrek mounts on my ARB bumper as well and am about to start commuting in the FJ again to downtown LA. I'll have to look into it. I don't need my Hi-Lift getting stolen or worse some kid taking that huge wingnut and throwing it through my front window.

#296 ·
Thanks.
If a thief wants the Hi-Lift bad enough, they are going to get it.
About the only real way to protect it is with a padlock and heavy braided covered cable, but I really do not want to have one hanging on the hi-Lift and my ARB bumper.
But this should keep the honest people honest :D

#297 ·
More Recovery Gear Added 8-5-2016

My Warn recovery bag I have had since I had my '91 4Runner before the FJ Cruiser was starting to get pretty crowded with some of the new items I have added.

I bought a new kinetic recovery rope from Masterpull, and I also decided to get their large gear bag.
The new bag does not zip closed like the Warn, you roll down the top of it, then secure it closed with webbing and Fastex type buckles to cinch it closed.

There was no way my new recovery rope was going to fit into the old Warn bag.
Also the Warn bag weighed a ton, and I remembered it came with a long chain with a hook on it which I will probably never use, so I am saving a lot of weight there by not adding it back to the new Masterpull bag.

There is still a ton of room in the new bag, but I have everything I would need.
Several shackles, a tree saver strap, gloves, the Masterpull synthetic winch extension mentioned in a previous post in this thread, a snatch block, and the Warn wired remote which I will probably not use since I now have the Warn Wireless one also covered here in my thread previously.

Links:
Masterpull Gear Bag
Masterpull Kinetic Recovery Rope 7/8"x25'

A few pictures:

Size comparison between the new black Masterpull bag, and the old red Warn bag

All the gear laid out, the new kinetic rope is looking mighty nice

Yep, it all fits, and that is only about 1/2 full, where you could not even fit the new kinetic rope into the old bag

Nice and compact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.