Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Discount Tire Direct vs. Discount Tire

52K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Discount Tire 
#1 ·
Going to buy some Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs 285/70/17. Probably going to order them from DTD since they are $220 apiece x 5 = $1,100-$50 forum discount = $1,050 w/ free shipping and I don't think I have to pay tax.
If I buy them in the store, they are $235 apiece x 5 = $1,175 no forum discount, and I know I have to pay tax 8.6% = $101.50 so out the door it is a total of $1,276.50.
Basically I'm paying $226.50 (the price of one tire) to shop in a store, where I could just get the tires shipped to me, drive down to discount tire and have them put on....
Is there something I'm not seeing here?

#2 ·
Cost of mounting and balancing ?... A lot of
tire places will mount for free if you buy the
tire from them, which could cost $20 a piece...

Just a thought...

#3 ·
Nope, you've got it right.

If you're willing to wait for the tires from Discount Tire and lug them down to their brick and mortar outlet at an America's Tire, you'll just have to pay $20 more per tire for mounting and balancing, and, depending on the discount, you could save quite a bundle.

I just bought 4 Falken tires for my Prius that listed at $58 on Discount Tire and $78 on America's Tire. I could have bought them on Discount Tire for $232 and paid $80 more at America's Tire to have them mounted/balanced for a total of $312. When I showed the guy at America's Tire the price on Discount Tire, he offered me the tires for $68 each plus tax and balancing for a total of $365.53. So, I could have saved $53 by just getting them delivered to me first, but I chose to order them through America's Tires to avoid the hassle.

#4 ·
I've dealt with discount for 30 years, it's good to have a face to face with a dealer.
Buy the road hazzard insurance. I got 8 new free tires for my Bronco and 1 for my FJ.
Hit something driving on the freeway like I did, what are you gonna do with the on-line business?
You would still have to take it to Discount anyway.
My .02, use the dealer.

#9 ·
X2!! I also used Discount and bought the road hazard insurance. After only two flat tires in 20+ years, I have had 3 more in 3 years with my FJ! I have gotten 1 new tire and 2 free repairs with this insurance, plus free lifetime rotations and balancing, so what more could I ask? Plus, they had the best price I could find on BOTH the tires and wheels I wanted! :cheers:

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure since Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct are the same company (their websites look exactly the same), if I take them to the nearest Discount Tire for mounting/balance, I could buy the warranty as well when they are mounted...is this true?

#7 · (Edited)
Yes.

America's Tire (or Discount Tire) is Discount Tire Direct's brick and mortar business. Not sure what warranty (other than the mfg tire warranty) you're referring to, but you should get good service from an America's Tire outlet, especially if you bought the tires from it's online affiliate Discount Tire Direct.

#6 ·
No offense to Discount, because I use them often, I find that if you go down there and say "This is what "they" charge and that is what I want to pay." then suddenly the price magically matches the one you want, without any compromises. I just seems like they hit you with a high price and if you don't say anything or you don't do your homework, then that is what you will pay.

#8 ·
Discount will match prices. Take the quote (or any cheaper quote) to the store and tell them that is what you want to pay plus mounting and balancing. Has always worked for me.

Also, you may have to pay sales tax if the company actually has a store in your state.

#11 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your replys!

Discount Tire Direct is the mail order service of Discount Tire Co./America's Tire Co. We are owned by the same man but we do operate as a separate business. Discount Tire Direct is designed to compete with the online market. If you purchase tires from us, your local Discount Tire/America's Tire will install them for $19.99 per tire. This price includes lifetime balance and rotation, free flat repair, and new rubber valves. Our local stores can usually match our online prices so I would encourage you unlvaw to check with your local store to see what they can do for you. They may even be able to honor the forum discount if you ask but we don't guarantee it. This is an offer that Discount Tire Direct is giving. Here's the link to the details...

I hope this information helps! Please let us know if you need further assistance.

#15 · (Edited)
Our local stores can usually match our online prices so I would encourage you unlvaw to check with your local store to see what they can do for you. They may even be able to honor the forum discount. I would suggest printing out the original thread about the member discount and showing it to them. Here's the link...

I hope this information helps! Please let us know if you need further assistance.
Wish I had known this last year before I bought 5 Hankooks for my steel wheels! I need new tires for a couple of other cars now too, but only 4 each. Oh well . . . :shrug03:

#12 ·
^^^ VERY KOOL !... Great Info !... :rocker:....

#14 ·
Going to buy some Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs 285/70/17. ....
I bought those tires back in early April....I took the quote form discount direct to my local discount dealer and they matched the price with no problem....it just took them a couple days to get them ordered in from Cali.

So far so good, they got me through a long weekend in Moab on some tough trails.

#16 ·
Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on those tires. The nearest Discount Tire store from me is in Tallahassee, FL which is 2 hours. I'm moving to Seattle, WA next Sunday (driving out!), so I looked up how much the tires were there. I just bought my wife's car some Discount Tire in Tallahassee and liked thier service. I figured, no reason to put 3K+ miles on some brand new tires, not like I'm going to hit any snow/weather, might as well get some when I get to Seattle! :rocker:

#17 ·
I need to resurrect this thread..
I am looking at 5 new Nitto TG's online vs thru the local storefront.
Looks like a substantial savings.
Do I really save the sales tax ordering online? That will make a good deal into a great deal.
Also can I have them shipped to the local storefront instead of to me?

#18 · (Edited)
Like mentioned above, our local retail stores can usually match on-line delivered prices and can offer you a higher level of customer service than anyone can on-line. I encourage you to check in with them first before purchasing. Also, every tire purchased from our local stores comes standard with pro-rated road hazard coverage which is not offered through us mail order. The FJ member discount is a Discount Tire Direct promotion so they may or may not be able to match it.

We can ship directly to our stores but as a last case scenario. Our local stores receive multiple shipments a day and there is always a good chance of your tires being sold to another customer by accident. If you purchase online through DiscountTireDirect.com, we are only required to collect sales taxes for AZ, OH and TX orders.

I hope this information helps. If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

#19 ·
Wow, Thanks for the fast response. I just posted that set of questions.

I am in Cali, so you answered the tax issue.
The only reason that I asked about shipping to the store front is to avoid the hassle of having a truck come to my house (way out in the boonies), only to have to bring them back down the hill to the nearest store.
At this point for the local store to match the price they would have to give me the forum discount and lower the price by the tax amount. I've dealt with the same store for years, so perhaps they'll go for it. If not then I'll go with plan A and just order them out.
Thanks again.

#20 · (Edited)
Not only will my Discount store match or BEAT Discount Directs prices, they will match or beat any bonafide price from ANY business, brick and mortar or online store. They have even ordered in wheels for me that they have never stocked. I'd say something negative about DT just to keep it real, but nothing comes to mind!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.