Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Supercharger for 2010---

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Gadget@URD 
#1 ·
Read on TRDparts4u.com that they will not be making a supercharger that will work with the 2010-2011 fj. Anyone have any input on this?

#3 ·
So, here's to speculating on the discontinuance of the FJ in 2012. Why design a supercharger if it will only be useable for 2 model years? :jester:
The 4.0L that is in the FJ is also in the 4Runner and the Tacoma, both models that vastly outsell the FJC.

The supercharger for the 2007-2009 models is the same supercharger for the Tacomas and 4runners with that engine, except they have different "fit kits".

So if they are not making a supercharger for the FJ, then they are not making one for all of these models as well and that is a huge loss of possible revenue. My guess is that they will make one soon enough they just aren't making one right now. Keep in mind that 2010 is the first year for these new changes to the engine.

That is unless the changes they have made to the engine have made it impossible to mount a supercharger to.

#4 ·
So the TRD supercharger for the 2010 Tacoma will fit? See Below

FJC

COMPLETE KIT! TRD Supercharger for FJCruiser 4.0L (TRDFJCRUISERSCKIT)

The TRD intercooled supercharger system kit for the 2007-2009 FJ Cruiser 4.0L V6 engine features an air-to-liquid intercooler that increases torque and horsepower from idle to redline, delivering immediate throttle response, along with substantial increases to towing capacity and acceleration. The system uses a strong, compact one-piece plenum/manifold that integrates Eaton Roots-type rotating components, Gen 5 rotor pack and the heat exchanger core for the intercooler. High flow fuel injectors. Iridium spark plugs. Boost pressure 5-6 psi.
Produces 304 hp @ 5,400 rpm and 334 lb.-ft. torque @ 3,600 rpm (from 239 hp @ 5200 rpm; 278 lb.-ft. @ 3700 rpm.
This kit includes part number PTR29-35090 main unit and PTR29-35093 - the installation kit.

WILL NOT WORK ON 2010+ FJ CRUISER - TRD WILL NOT MAKE A SUPERCHARGER FOR THEM.

This part fits the following vehicles:
Toyota: FJ Cruiser 2007 - 2009

List Price: $4,500.00
Our Price: $3,890.00
You Save: $610.00 (14%)

Free shipping for this item!

And the Tacoma

COMPLETE KIT! TRD Supercharger TACOMA 4.0L V6 (TRDTACOMASCKIT)

Supercharger Assembly AND fit kit combo.
THIS PART (PTR29-35090)MAIN UNIT, AND FIT KIT... (PTR29-35100) FOR THE 2005-2010 TACOMA,

The TRD internally intercooled supercharger package is one way to get there, with 304 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 334 pound-feet at 3600 (gains of 68 horsepower and pound-feet) on nominal boost of six to eight psi. Roots-type rotating components in a one piece integral manifold. Water-to-air intercooler system with a custom low temperature radiator (LTR) reduces inlet temperatures for maximum power output. High flow fuel injectors. Iridium spark plugs. Boost pressure 5-6 psi.

Notes: TACOMA 2005-2010 4.0L V6.NOTE: Verify the OE calibration before installing the supercharger kit.

This part fits the following vehicles:
Toyota: Tacoma 2005 - 2010

List Price: $4,500.00
Our Price: $3,890.00
You Save: $610.00 (14%)

Free shipping for this item!

#5 · (Edited)
If its the same engine, then all they need is a fit kit.

The fit kit is designed so that the externals like the hoses and pump and reservoir and LTR can fit in the specific engine bay of that vehicle.

If it were me, and the engines were nearly identical, i'd just buy the one for the Tacoma and figure out the fitment issues. Had to do this on mine anyways with an ARB bumper and winch.

Scratch that i just re-read what you typed. If it works on the 2005-2010 Tacoma then the 2010 Tacoma must not be using the new style 1GR-FE engine that the 2010 FJ and 4Runners are using. So no, it wouldn't work at all on the 2010 FJC.

#7 ·
I hope that someone makes a supercharger for the 2010's That on my short list of things I need. Any ideas if an aftermarket company is thinking about making one?

#9 ·
I actually called TRD directly a few months back asking about this (1-800-688-5912 from the trdusa.com website).

Not sure what this is worth...but the customer service rep said that they are planning to have a supercharger available for the 2010 FJs, but didn't have a set timetable.

I'm still hoping this is true...but it's almost 2011 and I'm slowly losing hope.

#11 ·
Not completely true.

URD is working on a supercharger for the new engine. We do have a 2010 in the shop. Going a little different approach than the version we will release soon for the 2007-2009.

One thing we need to help speed things up is an junk engine that is complete. If anyone knows of one in a junkyard anywhere that we can get our hands on please let me know.

G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.