Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
MOAB before the Summit

Last year Old Sarge took the initiative to start the thread but he is working on other plans so I figured I'd go ahead and put it up here.

We had some good times last year with folks from all over enjoying Kane Creek Canyon, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Poison Spider and Shafer Trail (with a bit of the White Rim Road oops )

I plan to be there on Monday and Tuesday again this year and would like to offer to lead a couple of trails again on those days. I promise not to get you lost this time ). In addition, I plan to be there on Sat and Sunday as well in order to have more Moab fun.

Anyway, I think pretty much everyone made it out unscathed and without broken parts and am hoping maybe some additional challenge might be desirable by at least some attendees.

Another which I think many would really like is Elephant Hill (which I've run several times including in the dark). Elephant Hill is just the really cool beginning to a great trail which includes steps, washes, Devil's Kitchen, SOB Hill, old rock art, a short hike to view the Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers and more. It is over an hour south west of Moab in the southern entrance to Canyonlands. You weren't going to do anything else that day were you ? I consider it a must-do if you haven't before. Unfortunately, dogs are not permitted in Canyonlands backcountry so folks with dogs CANNOT do this run. I think stock rigs can do this but lift, sliders and skids are recommended.

Other options include Hells Revenge (not really difficult but makes for cool pictures), Fins 'n' Things, and Gold Bar Rim. I may add other choices depending on what I run at Cruise Moab.

One suggestion is that we try to get rolling a little earlier in the mornings. It was really slow getting everyone moving from the City Market last year. I think we should shoot for maybe 8:30 so we can be moving at 9:00.

I'm planning to bring my mountain bike too. This assumes that I come up with a good way of securing it. In case anyone else might want to try a trail, keep me in mind. Last year's weather was good. Once we get close to trip time, the 15 day weather forecast should give us an idea of whether the Moab weather will be good again or more like Hell. http://www.climate-charts.com/noaa-us2/UT425733.png

Hope to see you there.

Preliminary Schedule: Subject to "adjustment"

Meeting at City Market, 426 South Main Street (just a few blocks south of downtown and on the east side of hwy 191) - gather on north end of parking area (the left as you drive in) - you can gas up at their gas station and pickup snacks, drinks, ice etc but please get there early enough to allow for all of this so we aren't held up.

In the pic below, City Market is the big white roofed building with the red tag. We will meet on the north side of the parking lot just below the work Grand. Their gas station is just above the word Uranium. Again, make sure to be there early to gas up and buy food and beverages.

We'll be concentrating as much on great scenery and views as we are on great wheeling. Most of you are driving a long ways for this and the Summit and a major breakage would be a big killjoy. There are some good obstacles mixed in with rock crawling, sand washes etc on these runs but nothing like what you would see on a trail like Cliffhanger (which we won't be doing). Bring your cameras !

Saturday 13th - Meet 8:30 and Depart 9:00 - should only be a handful of us so we'll just decide what to do when we meet at the store

Sunday 14th - Meet 7:30 and Depart 8:00 - May or may not have too many to run as just one group - Possibilities include 1) White Wash Sand Dunes, then back to see great view of White Rim from Island In The Sky/Canyonlands, then down Shafer Trail Switchbacks and back up Long Canyon (could also zip into Dead Horse State Park to see the great views) 2) Combination of Gold Bar Rim, Little Canyon, Bull Canyon, Gemini Bridges and Long Canyon

Monday 15th - Meet 7:30 and Depart 8:00 - One group Elephant Hill in Canyonlands (NO dogs on this trip and having some extra gas isn't a bad idea especially for gas hogs) - One group will head up Onion Creek to the LaSal Mountains (LaSal Pass or Geyser Pass)

Tuesday 16th - Meet 8:30 and Depart 9:00 - TBD, don't want this to be a long day as most will want to get to Ouray before dark to avoid the plentiful deer along the way - will divide into two groups. Some shorter run considerations for this day include Hells Revenge / Fins 'n' Things / Porcupine Rim area, Top of the World, Poison Spider (the ol' Moab must-do trails)

Tentative attendance - updated 6-28-13

Woodsman(James)--- Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
Fly Jester(Devin) --- Sun, Mon, Tues
Old Sarge(Curtis)--- Sun, Mon, Tues
tlcntx(Tanya) --- Sun, Mon, Tues
tgormtx(Tom) --- Sun, Mon, Tues
westcoastgirl74(Kristen)--- ?Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
AggieFJ08(Bryan)--- --- Mon, Tues
auburnjosh(Josh)--- Sun, Mon, Tues
cmw7373 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
Solid E --- --- Mon, Tues
Football751 --- Sun, Mon, Tues
TxFj85 --- Sun, Mon, Tues
Shannon67 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
TxAggie --- Sun, Mon, Tues
Garydk --- --- Mon, Tues
VOODOO71 --- --- --- --- Cancelled due to back injury Get well !
Zombinator(Tom) --- --- Mon, Tues
weiln --- --- --- Tues
xsists --- ?Sun, Mon, Tues
All-Pro (Sarah) --- --- --- Tues
DudeGirl (Kimberly) --- --- Mon Tues
Magnanimous Sat Sun --- ---
Lmmmmm / Primer ?
jimmiee --- --- --- Tues

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racer001
Re: MOAB before the Summit

I will try to convince the wife but I think she's set on going to ouray a little early.

Think twice about Doug Thorley Long Tubes.

2010 Army Green | 5AT | BFG KM2's | ICON | Demello Sliders | Ex1 Diamond | Ex1 Swingout
#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Sounds like a good plan but it should be noted that dogs are not allowed in Canyonlands even if they stay in the rig.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanna play! What are the dates on this?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
Sounds like a good plan but it should be noted that dogs are not allowed in Canyonlands even if they stay in the rig.

Ace
Thanks for mentioning that Ace. It is true and could very well determine who goes on what runs on at least one of the days as a recall a few people have dogs with them last year.

Quote:
tormented previously said: View Post
I wanna play! What are the dates on this?
Saturday is the 13th
Sunday is the 14th
Monday is the 15th
Tuesday is the 16th
Summit registration starts on the 17th
Summit trail runs are on the 18th, 19th and 20th

There are usually some post Summit trail runs going on in Moab as well.

2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Supporting Member

I was directed to this thread after Old SArges changed locations! Going ot try to bring a bigger crew from the NW, Oregon, Wash and BC etc.

Bringing back the Toyota wave one truck at a time

2010 iceburg manual, BFG KM2s 285/75/17, AR rims, Total Chaos UCAs, Icon extended travel front, 2.5 LT Icon rear, Metaltech rear lower links, full ricochet skids, Icon shin guards, TG sliders still holding on, PIAA lights, 3 hoop Demello bumper, Pro comp LED roof lights, dented roofrack (don't ask!), BC, Moab Oregon and Arizona pinstriping
#7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Quote:
westcoastgirl74 previously said: View Post
I was directed to this thread after Old SArges changed locations! Going ot try to bring a bigger crew from the NW, Oregon, Wash and BC etc.

Sorry about that! I've been busy and haven't had a whole lot of time to work on this. So this is what I have come up with, It looks like Moab (again) leaving Houston on Friday 12th getting into Moab late Saturday afternoon/evening. So social time, food & drinks for Saturday evening/night. Wheeeling Sun-Tuesday, Summit Wed-Sun, Ace leading us camping the week between Summit and then All 4 Fun. I know thats longer than most folks will be able to spend out there, but whatever part of it is cool. Woodsman sound like a plan to you?

08 Brick

TLCA# 20417
4WD& Armrest w/ no other factory upgrades! Mods. FJ Newb SCUBA Mod, LED console lights, Sirius stereo, Garage opener mod, Additional 12v outlets, Cobra 75 CB/Bandi mount w/3'firestick. AllPro rear Lower Control Links and rear shock guards, Aero Flow Headlight Covers, Manually controlled E Locker, Iron Man lift & ASFIR Skids. Shrockworks custom sliders and Front bumper, Aux fuel tank. Custom A-Pillars, Viair On-Board Air system

Last edited by Old Sarge; 01-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yes, it sounds great Sarge. It will be so cool to get much of last year's group back again.

I'm pretty psyched for this trip, as well as 2013 in general, and will try desperately to get there early. Going to try to make it a two-weeker so I can play before and after the Summit. Hoping to squeeze in another visit to Great Sand Dunes (want to try sand surfing ), maybe some zip-lining down around Durango and some mountain biking. Open to other ideas too or if anyone wants to join me. If timing allows I might hit Medano Pass at Great Sand Dunes NP too.

I'm planning to bring my mountain bike on this trip as well.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Supporting Member

You guys could count me in...my build will be completed long before that...super excited for my 2nd Summit...and my first time at the Moab...

Please keep me updated.. And of course, thanks for putting it together..

Bryan
#10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Forum Regular

I'm in El Paso, soon my lift, sliders, skids, will be done. I really want to check out MOAB before I get stationed else-where. When is the best time to go check it out? Is it under snow right now?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2013 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.