Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Question Hotel or Camp??

Ok, so last year, was my first trip to the summit..
My son and I stay at the historic ouray hotel.
The event was great, the hotel was OK..... I realize ITS OLD, and I had just gotten my FJ in late May, so we were lucky just to find a room..

This year, it will be my son and I, and my Girl Friend and MAYBE, her daughter...

We are weighing out our options, and trying to make a decision before everything is booked!

Rooms in Ouray, range from $110-$190 a night.
OR
We rent a travel trailer at about $80 a day, and then camp ground fee's from what I am finding are around $40...... (In addition to costing more in gas to get there and back pulling some beast) + electric break controller, and something about a hitch stablizer I read about.

I am even on the fence of possibly purchasing a camper.

Now, with a camper, it won't be crowded in the FJ (3-4 peoples clothing for 9 days, + food + misc gear) or having to go out to eat (can bring ALL of our food needed, and can cook it)
Tenting it is NOT an option with the 2 ladies!

Or with a hotel, maybe pick up a small trailer/receiver hitch storage to bring all the crap with........(And I do have a OEM roof rack)

Other option. Hotel/Motel it on the way out and back.
Rent a Camper around Ouray somewhere (Still have the storage issue)

I JUST CAN'T Decide what to do???????

HELP? Thoughts?? SUGGESTIONS????????????????????

(BTW, we are coming from Minneapolis Minnesota 1250 miles each way (If we go directly to Ouray))

2014 Trail Teams Ultimate Edition
(5/2014) Aries Bull Bar, Rear DC Power Outlet, Steps added to Factory Rails, WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
(6/2014) Shock Armor, Bandi Mount, Kenwood Door Speakers & DNX570HD Headunit, Kicker Hideaway Amp/Subwoofer, Cobra CB, Hella 500's with FJ covers on Bull Bar, DC Power outlet installed back of center console, Custom USB port in Switch Panel, Rear Window Screen, SwissArmy SAS Lights, Scuba Mod
Freedom Windows, LED Dome Lights
(7/2014) Anzo Halo Headlights with Nestah HID MOD
ZORT # 138
(Previous 2012 Calvary Blue Owner)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Hotel or Camp??

if it's about money, then choose the cheapest option.

otherwise, i choose the option that gives me the most comfort.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

trade the two ladies who can't do the tent thing for two that can! Sounds like your better off renting a motel/hotel. Don't need to pack that many clothes, Quray does have washing machines! There are some at the "BW" you can use or at the 4J+1.

I have stayed at the Timber Ridge Lodge, they clean and affordable. They are on the opposite side of town so that makes it a 5 minute drive. http://www.timberridgelodgeouray.com/ check out their website.

08 Brick

TLCA# 20417
4WD& Armrest w/ no other factory upgrades! Mods. FJ Newb SCUBA Mod, LED console lights, Sirius stereo, Garage opener mod, Additional 12v outlets, Cobra 75 CB/Bandi mount w/3'firestick. AllPro rear Lower Control Links and rear shock guards, Aero Flow Headlight Covers, Manually controlled E Locker, Iron Man lift & ASFIR Skids. Shrockworks custom sliders and Front bumper, Aux fuel tank. Custom A-Pillars, Viair On-Board Air system

Last edited by Old Sarge; 01-16-2013 at 12:51 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Old Sarge previously said: View Post
trade the two ladies who can't do the tent thing for two that can! Sounds like your better off renting a motel/hotel. Don't need to pack that many clothes, Quray does have washing machines! There are some at the "BW" you can use or at the 4J+1.

I have stayed at the Timber Ridge Lodge, they clean and affordable. They are on the opposite side of town so that makes it a 5 minute drive. http://www.timberridgelodgeouray.com/ check out their website.
Do you have 2 to trade? ROFL!!

(5/2014) Aries Bull Bar, Rear DC Power Outlet, Steps added to Factory Rails, WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
(6/2014) Shock Armor, Bandi Mount, Kenwood Door Speakers & DNX570HD Headunit, Kicker Hideaway Amp/Subwoofer, Cobra CB, Hella 500's with FJ covers on Bull Bar, DC Power outlet installed back of center console, Custom USB port in Switch Panel, Rear Window Screen, SwissArmy SAS Lights, Scuba Mod
ZORT # 138
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a

If you don't mind being 'out in the woods', I might be able to save you the $40/night on the place to park for trailer-camping, but I assume the non-tent ladies won't go for that, and will want to be at a campground with toilets and showers and all that. If not, let me know, and I'll PM you some info.

I totally know what you're up against. We've had the same kind of dilemma many times....barely enough money to go on the trip in the first place, and trying to scratch out as much comfort as possible with what little we have to make it work.

That's the main reason we've stayed at the Ouray Hotel most years, because, ya it's small and all that, but it's 'affordable', and as such, it has made the trip possible for us on at least a few occasions.

We used to camp to save even more money, but now we like the idea of not having to deal with the tent and all of the camping stuff, and can just wake up, take a shower, and walk across the street for breakfast.

Good luck deciding which way to go.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage

The Ouray Victorian Inn has two room family suites.

http://be.genares.net/9241?NextPage=room_list

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hotel or Camp??

We actually found a house for rent. Maybe looking for someone to split it with the three of us. ( my girlfriends daughter isn't most likely going now)
$230 night

Anyone interested?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

ZORT # 138
#8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hotel or Camp??

I belong to the Motorcycle Travel Network (http://www.motorcycle-travel.net/hom...ndex_main.html), and you don't "have to" have a motorcycle to join. Like a B&B. Stayed at over a dozen MTNs now, $15/night single, $20/night double.

There are other options as well:
http://www.affordabletravelclub.net/
http://www.evergreenclub.com/

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 FJ Sun Fusion
My other "car" is a Gold Wing!

And my fiancé calls them my 'idols!' She's just jealous...
#9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a

Quote:
Tstormin previously said: View Post
We actually found a house for rent. Maybe looking for someone to split it with the three of us. ( my girlfriends daughter isn't most likely going now)
$230 night

Anyone interested?
Just on the basis that we've thought about doing that with other Summiteers in the past, I'll say we're interested. Not enough to commit immediately, but enough to start checking into it at least.

Which house? (we've stayed at a few in Ouray over the years)
Where is it in town?
How many BRs, Baths, etc?
Got pics?

Quote:
gto49 previously said: View Post
I belong to the Motorcycle Travel Network (Motorcycle Travel Network - The Only Bed and Breakfast Network for the Traveling Motorcycle Enthusiast), and you don't "have to" have a motorcycle to join. Like a B&B. Stayed at over a dozen MTNs now, $15/night single, $20/night double.

There are other options as well:
The Affordable Travel Club
Evergreen Club
That's a really cool idea.

I checked their location listings, and it doesn't look like they have anything close enough to Ouray to make it useful for an extended stay for something like the Summit, but this could be a great resource for people with long journeys to get here from other states, and I'll be seriously considering it for other kinds of future road trips elsewhere.

Thanks a lot for posting about it.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Here is a link with all the info:

Ouray Vacation Rental - VRBO 425818 - 2 BR Southwest House in CO, Nancy's Ouray House End of Aug Discounts!

ZORT # 138

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2013 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.