Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

MOAB before the Summit - 2015 Edition

66K views 431 replies 69 participants last post by  AMMO461 
#1 ·
As it has been customary the last few years, here is the official planning thread for 2015 ! :bigthumb: To be clear, this is not part of the FJ Summit. This is just a way get in a few more days of wheeling on your vacation, meet some new faces and get an introduction to Moab if you've never been there before. There are no registration fees and it is not an "organized event", just a bunch of friends getting together to wheel (if any rangers ask :lol: ) on Saturday 11th, Sunday 12th, Monday 13th and possibly Tuesday 14th (see more info below).

I'll lead runs on Saturday 11th, Sunday 12th, Monday 13th and I'll head towards Ouray/Summit for Summit setup on Tuesday 14th. There may be someone in the group with Moab experience (Flyjester) that can guide you around some trails on Tuesday if you decide to stick around. Otherwise, you can checkout the town of Moab, Arches NP or whatever you want to do on your own. Last year, several of us took a scenic route, partially on dirt, over to Moab on Tuesday. I do not recommend making the three hour drive to Ouray in the late evening or in the dark. The one time I did this, there were multiple near misses with very large deer.

We'll be concentrating as much on great scenery and views as we are on great wheeling. Most of you are driving a long ways for this and the Summit and a major breakage would be a big killjoy. There are some good obstacles mixed in with rock crawling, sand washes etc but nothing a very skilled driver couldn't do with a stock FJ. For lesser skilled drivers, aftermarket skid plates and sliders are recommended. Bring your cameras !

We had a great time in 2012 with folks from all over enjoying Kane Creek Canyon, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Poison Spider and Shafer Trail . . . with a bit of the White Rim Road :lol: oops ! :shrug03: In 2013 we hit Long Canyon, Shafer Trail, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill. In 2014 we ran Seven Mile Rim, Top of the World, Shafer Trail, Long Canyon, Hells Revenge, Porcupine Rim, Spring Canyon and Tusher Tunnel.

Link to 2013 pictures here ---> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2013-fjcruiser-summit/169825-moab-before-summit-pictures.html

Bringing the group up to SOB Hill on the Elephant Hill Trail.

The weather in 2012, 2013 and 2014 was good. However, past weather is no guarantee of future weather. Once we get close to trip time, the 15 day weather forecast should give us an idea of whether the Moab weather will be good again or more like Hell. http://www.climate-charts.com/noaa-us2/UT425733.png

Hope to see you there. :cheers:

It can be really slow getting groups moving in the morning, especially when folks roll in right at the planned departure time and still need to gas-up and run into the store for supplies. Let's plan to meet at 8:30 so we can be on the road to the trail heads at 9:00. On Sunday, for those wanting to do Elephant Hill, let's meet earlier . . . meet at 8:00 to leave at 8:30 This is a longer day so better to start a bit earlier.

Meeting at City Market, 426 South Main Street (just a few blocks south of downtown and on the east side of hwy 191) - gather on north end of parking area (the left as you drive in) - you can gas up at their gas station and pickup snacks, drinks, ice etc but please get there early enough to allow for all of this so we aren't held up.

In the pic below, City Market is the big white roofed building with the red tag. We will meet on the north side of the parking lot just below the word Grand. Their gas station is just above the word Uranium. Again, make sure to be there early to gas up and buy food and beverages.

Tentative attendance Please don't ask to be put on the list until you are very confident that you can make it !
Woodsman Sat Sun Mon head to Ouray Tues
Flyjester Sun Mon Tue morn
Primer Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
Old Sarge Sun, Mon, Tues
Higear Sun, Mon, Tues
Moab Junky Mon Tues - - - - - - - - Moab Junky plans to lead a run to TOTW on Tuesday morning July 14th.
Redeemed Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
jeepconvert Sat Sun Mon Tues
Velociraptor Mon Tues
WASP Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
BlackCherryIce Sat, Sun, Mon
Shannon67 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
Instigator2100 Sun, Mon, Tues
santacruz Sat, Sun, Mon
BasedFJ Sat Sun
flatlander2 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
GaryK Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
axamo Sun, Mon, Tues
baja mike Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
COOKN Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
majic2119 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
bridam11 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
TxAggie Mon, Tues
Grouper Sun Mon
Dockbox Mon
Mixter
apolkadot Mon Tues
stewie14 Sun Mon Tues
beedubya Mon Tues
fjrino Sun Mon Tues
debFJVT Mon
Ol' Blue Sun, Mon, Tues

RoverGGM - maybe
Sippster - maybe

See less See more
#268 ·
Two years ago one of the FJ's in our group went up Hells Gate. It is right on the trail. I'm sure everyone would enjoy watching.

Reactions: Grouper
#270 ·
I sure would like to think I can do it
Hell's Gate is not an especially difficult obstacle but the consequences of screwing up can be severe. It's surprising how many people will volunteer to spot you up it with little idea of how to do it properly. One of the most common mistakes people make on it is to not air down sufficiently. I wouldn't attempt it with anything over 15 lbs. of pressure. I'd also make sure whoever spots you up it is very experienced and has spotted others up it previously without incident. It is possible to make minor mistakes on it and still make it up. The throttle is NOT your friend on the Gate.

#271 ·
Jacque has told me that you are one of the best drivers he has ever seen so any advice you have to offer is welcomed and noted. I have learned the hard way that the throttle is not my friend, but I have learned. I have a buddy volunteering to spot me up Hell's Gate. He has run it a handful of times in an FJC and has spotted another FJC up last year so I hope he is up to the task. I trust him so as long as I can keep it slow and low and follow my spotters directions I think I am up for it. I make no promises until after I see the damn thing in person however. I just hate to drive all the way there and not do it. I have been watching Youtube videos of that obstacle for years.

#274 · (Edited)
I have a buddy volunteering to spot me up Hell's Gate. He has run it a handful of times in an FJC and has spotted another FJC up last year
The worst problems on Hell's Gate almost universally occur because of too much throttle. A majority of the other problems are because of tires slipping off of the wall, which in most instances are a result of not airing down sufficiently (that or crappy tires to begin with). Then there are the problems resulting from bad spotting but we'll assume those won't apply to you. The problem resulting from slipping off the wall can usually be fixed by turning hard driver and backing up slightly; which should pop you back up on the wall. If that doesn't work you can always get winched up from there. The trickiest spot on the way up is the last ledge you need to get over. There is a reasonably flat section right before you go up it and the proper way to tackle it is to come off the wall as you get to that section and swing away from the wall. You then swing back towards the wall as you start up the ledge. As you go up the ledge you then swing away from the wall. That should get you over that ledge without any part of your FJ going WAY up in the air. Should something go awry it's usually not much of a problem to back down slightly in order to make corrections to your line. I was driving Jacque up the Gate several years ago and went brain dead at that particular spot. I was thinking I was already through that section and tried to drive straight up over it. When the vehicle leaned over dramatically I realized my mistake. I simply backed up and turned towards the wall like I should have done to start with. Sean Sykora was spotting a buddy of his from California up the obstacle shortly after I did it and didn't swing him away from the wall in that section. He slipped off the wall and had to be winched up from there. He immediately drove over to the descent and did it all over again. He went up the second time without incident.

As I mentioned, the worst problems I've seen on the Gate were a result of too much throttle. Second were either not being sufficiently aired down or not paying attention to your spotter (again, assuming your spotter knows what he/she's doing). Make sure you go over the line you want to take in great detail with whoever you choose to spot you up it (you also want to go over what his/her hand signals mean so there's no misunderstanding). As I also mentioned, it's not an especially difficult obstacle. You need to make sure you have ATRAC and the rear locker engaged before you start up it. Have fun doing it because it is thrilling for both the driver (and passengers) as well as the multitude of observers that are invariably there.

#276 · (Edited)
As I mentioned, the worst problems I've seen on the Gate were a result of too much throttle. Second were either not being sufficiently aired down or not paying attention to your spotter (again, assuming your spotter knows what he/she's doing). Make sure you go over the line you want to take in great detail with whoever you choose to spot you up it (you also want to go over what his/her hand signals mean so there's no misunderstanding). As I also mentioned, it's not an especially difficult obstacle. You need to make sure you have ATRAC and the rear locker engaged before you start up it.
Over throttling seems to be the biggest safety concern. If I can manage to not make this mistake I think I will be ok. Having to winch up if I take a bad line shouldn't damage too much more than my ego and maybe some cosmetic damage which I can live with. As long as I can drive away from it afterwards I really want to give it a shot. I would love to have a spotter who does the Gate regularly and is familiar with spotting different types of vehicles but that guy might not be around when we get there so I think I can rely on dockbox to do a good job of getting me up. I'm running E rated tires so 12-15 psi is probably necessary(maybe less) and I have a locker up front as well. Would the front locker be recommended over A-trac or is that overkill?

No promises as of yet but I need to start mentally preparing myself for this if it's going to happen at all.

#277 ·
Reactions: Grouper
#282 ·
Just to double check, everyone will be meeting up at city market before every trail run? I want to make sure I don't miss it! haha

#284 ·
Yes, per post number one, meet at north side of City Market parking area (far left as you enter).
Sat, Mon, and Tues - be there 8:30-8:45 to depart for trails at 9:00
Sunday, be there 8:00-8:15 to depart for trails at 8:30

#286 ·
I'll be headed out Thursday night and be there Friday afternoon. 1000 miles from Dallas....:)

#290 ·
I'm packed up! Leaving tomorrow morning for Montana to camp at the Clark Canyon Resevoir, 683 miles. I did this last year, really convenient, and quiet, and free! 565 miles Friday to Moab. 1248 total. See you all Sat morning, or Friday evening at Milt's! Gonna be a great time!:grin

Reactions: TxAggie
#295 · (Edited)
We will be at city market Monday morning at 0830. Looking forward to hitting whatever trails we can get on, if all groups are maxed out, we may just follow along behind if that's not a problem or connect with other stragglers/groups.

#297 ·
Just arrived in moab.....:) at the silver sage Inn.

#309 ·
What time are you headed over to milt's?

#299 ·
Just got in. Saw bridam11, and waved. Shower, and then to Milts. If anyone wants to grab diner, I was thinking of going to Pasta Jays.

#300 ·
im here. right across from moab diner...

#301 ·
Dude!, I'm at the Virginian! Is the wife with you?

#303 ·
No, Im solo ... it's now called Hotel Moab instead of being a Ramada...

#302 ·
also if anyone has any Tri Flow Superior DRY lubricant let me know i need some.

or if someone stops along their way and grabs a bottle I will pay you back. Make sure it says DRY ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.