Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

MOAB before the Summit - 2015 Edition

66K views 431 replies 69 participants last post by  AMMO461 
#1 ·
As it has been customary the last few years, here is the official planning thread for 2015 ! :bigthumb: To be clear, this is not part of the FJ Summit. This is just a way get in a few more days of wheeling on your vacation, meet some new faces and get an introduction to Moab if you've never been there before. There are no registration fees and it is not an "organized event", just a bunch of friends getting together to wheel (if any rangers ask :lol: ) on Saturday 11th, Sunday 12th, Monday 13th and possibly Tuesday 14th (see more info below).

I'll lead runs on Saturday 11th, Sunday 12th, Monday 13th and I'll head towards Ouray/Summit for Summit setup on Tuesday 14th. There may be someone in the group with Moab experience (Flyjester) that can guide you around some trails on Tuesday if you decide to stick around. Otherwise, you can checkout the town of Moab, Arches NP or whatever you want to do on your own. Last year, several of us took a scenic route, partially on dirt, over to Moab on Tuesday. I do not recommend making the three hour drive to Ouray in the late evening or in the dark. The one time I did this, there were multiple near misses with very large deer.

We'll be concentrating as much on great scenery and views as we are on great wheeling. Most of you are driving a long ways for this and the Summit and a major breakage would be a big killjoy. There are some good obstacles mixed in with rock crawling, sand washes etc but nothing a very skilled driver couldn't do with a stock FJ. For lesser skilled drivers, aftermarket skid plates and sliders are recommended. Bring your cameras !

We had a great time in 2012 with folks from all over enjoying Kane Creek Canyon, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Poison Spider and Shafer Trail . . . with a bit of the White Rim Road :lol: oops ! :shrug03: In 2013 we hit Long Canyon, Shafer Trail, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill. In 2014 we ran Seven Mile Rim, Top of the World, Shafer Trail, Long Canyon, Hells Revenge, Porcupine Rim, Spring Canyon and Tusher Tunnel.

Link to 2013 pictures here ---> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2013-fjcruiser-summit/169825-moab-before-summit-pictures.html

Bringing the group up to SOB Hill on the Elephant Hill Trail.

The weather in 2012, 2013 and 2014 was good. However, past weather is no guarantee of future weather. Once we get close to trip time, the 15 day weather forecast should give us an idea of whether the Moab weather will be good again or more like Hell. http://www.climate-charts.com/noaa-us2/UT425733.png

Hope to see you there. :cheers:

It can be really slow getting groups moving in the morning, especially when folks roll in right at the planned departure time and still need to gas-up and run into the store for supplies. Let's plan to meet at 8:30 so we can be on the road to the trail heads at 9:00. On Sunday, for those wanting to do Elephant Hill, let's meet earlier . . . meet at 8:00 to leave at 8:30 This is a longer day so better to start a bit earlier.

Meeting at City Market, 426 South Main Street (just a few blocks south of downtown and on the east side of hwy 191) - gather on north end of parking area (the left as you drive in) - you can gas up at their gas station and pickup snacks, drinks, ice etc but please get there early enough to allow for all of this so we aren't held up.

In the pic below, City Market is the big white roofed building with the red tag. We will meet on the north side of the parking lot just below the word Grand. Their gas station is just above the word Uranium. Again, make sure to be there early to gas up and buy food and beverages.

Tentative attendance Please don't ask to be put on the list until you are very confident that you can make it !
Woodsman Sat Sun Mon head to Ouray Tues
Flyjester Sun Mon Tue morn
Primer Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
Old Sarge Sun, Mon, Tues
Higear Sun, Mon, Tues
Moab Junky Mon Tues - - - - - - - - Moab Junky plans to lead a run to TOTW on Tuesday morning July 14th.
Redeemed Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
jeepconvert Sat Sun Mon Tues
Velociraptor Mon Tues
WASP Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
BlackCherryIce Sat, Sun, Mon
Shannon67 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
Instigator2100 Sun, Mon, Tues
santacruz Sat, Sun, Mon
BasedFJ Sat Sun
flatlander2 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
GaryK Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
axamo Sun, Mon, Tues
baja mike Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
COOKN Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
majic2119 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
bridam11 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
TxAggie Mon, Tues
Grouper Sun Mon
Dockbox Mon
Mixter
apolkadot Mon Tues
stewie14 Sun Mon Tues
beedubya Mon Tues
fjrino Sun Mon Tues
debFJVT Mon
Ol' Blue Sun, Mon, Tues

RoverGGM - maybe
Sippster - maybe

See less See more
#2 ·
We will shoot for a good day on the trails without wearing everyone out. We've had a few long days in the past and I realize this and am smart enough to know it so we'll plan runs to finish well before sunset so we have a little more time off the trail. Also, if anyone is uncomfortable with the terrain or needs spotting we will determine that and line up for the trail so you are behind someone that is experienced and capable of spotting. :thinkerg:

It is worth mentioning that we've run Shafer Trail and Top of the World three years in a row. They are both great runs for photos (aren't they all ?) but it would be great to run more of the other trails this year. I've put an * next to trails I hope to lead for 2015.

Again, trails we've run in the past include the following and they are all worth consideration.
Kane Creek Canyon 2012
Seven Mile Rim 2014
Top of the World 2012 2013 2014
*Metal Masher 2012
Poison Spider 2012
Shafer Trail (can be done as a loop with Long Canyon) 2012 2013 2014
Long Canyon 2013 2014
Hells Revenge 2013, 2014
*Elephant Hill 2013
Porcupine Rim 2014
Spring Canyon/Tusher Tunnel 2014
Fins 'n' Things 2013

Additional trails to consider include.
Gold Bar Rim
*Dome Plateau
*Gemini Bridges (short trip)(can easily be done with Metal Masher)
LaSal Pass/Geyser Pass

I think everyone enjoyed it when we ran Elephant Hill in 2013. I've run this trail many times including in the pitch black darkness by myself. E-Hill is just the really cool beginning to a great trail which includes steps, washes, Devil's Kitchen, SOB Hill, old rock art, a short hike to view the Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers, the Joint Trail and more. It is over an hour south west of Moab in the southern entrance to Canyonlands. You weren't going to do anything else that day were you ? I consider it a must-do if you haven't before. Unfortunately, dogs are not permitted in Canyonlands backcountry so folks with dogs CANNOT take them on this run. There are "doggy day cares" in Moab for just this reason. I think well-driven (experienced) stock rigs can do this but lift, sliders and skids are still recommended especially for the less-experienced.

FYI, the MOAB Visitor's Center is a great place to gather info when you are in town.

However, if you are really into wheeling Moab and especially if you plan to make return trips I suggest the following reading.

1) The Funtreks Guidebook in spiral bound Guide To Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2nd Edition): Charles A. Wells, Shelley Mayer: 9781934838068: Amazon.com: Books

2) Utah Trails has many trails the Funtreks book does not. Utah Trails Moab Region: Peter Massey Jeanne Wilson: 9781930193093: Amazon.com: Books

3) The Trails Illustrated/National Geographic map bundle Moab [Map Pack Bundle] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map): National Geographic Maps - Trails Illustrated: 9781597752152: Amazon.com: Books

4) Latitude 40 maps http://www.latitude40maps.com/category/our-maps/utah-maps/moab/

A few cool shots from 2013.

Group shot along the Shafer Trail switchbacks on Sunday

Bringing the group up the first big climb on Hells Revenge

Climbing back up the backside of Elephant Hill on Monday before returning to Moab for a group meal

All Pro Tacoma posing ass-end-to-the-wind at Top of the World on Tuesday

All Pro Tacoma coming back down from Top of the World on Tuesday

#10 ·
I've written this post 3 times now and then backed off, but I'm just gonna say it so it gets on the front page.

Group shot along the Shafer Trail switchbacks on Sunday
The two guys on the left of this photo look like the stars of Shaun of the Dead.

You guys have fun in Moab :rocker:

#4 ·
I will be there, thanks Woodsy.
Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues.

#7 ·
My son Chase and I are planning to be there again in 2015.

We had a great time in 2014 meeting everyone and
wheeling on Hell's Revenge and Top of the World.

Reactions: Woodsman
#8 ·
For reference, I put (*) next to the runs in post # 2 that I hope to lead this year.

#9 ·
Well James you should know that I'm in! Would love to do Kane Creek Canyon again. Hope some of the folks from the Great White North can join us again! ........Winterpeg??

#15 ·
I'm kicking around the idea Sarge!.... you will definitely know if/when I'm coming.
Kane Creek Canyon was awesome! We had a kick-ass group too!
:cheers:

#18 ·
So Woodsman, I am planning to be in Moab from the Sunday evening until the Wednesday morning of Summit Week...already have the room booked...

We will be driving a long distance from Toronto, ON, Canada...hitting South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming on the way to Utah...

Not sure what I want to do in Moab yet but plan on doing a ton of research over the Christmas Break...(also got the Funtrek Book). The wife will be with me and she will only tolerate mild trails, so rock crawling with her in the FJ will be out, so if I wanna stay married I had better take it easy...and as stated above I def don't wanna break anything as I have a heck of a long drive back to Canada afterwards...

I don't mind the group thing, but if it gets too big then it typically isn't too much fun in my experience. So we will probably want to one day in the National Parks and I'd like to do one day off roading... will keep you posted...

Thanks for organizing this too!

#19 ·
So Woodsman, I am planning to be in Moab from the Sunday evening until the Wednesday morning of Summit Week...already have the room booked...

Thanks for organizing this too!
If rocks aren't your thing it really does cut down on your options. However, there is still plenty to keep you busy for several days. Here are some suggestions in no particular order.
1) Spend a day checking our Arches National Park
2) Spend a day visiting Dead Horse Point State Park, Islands in the Sky?Canyonlands and consider returning to Moab via the Shafer Trail which starts where you enter Islands in the Sky.
3) Gemini Bridges is a neat place to checkout with a mild trail in.
4) Long Canyon is a mild trail with a huge boulder to pose the FJ under.
5) The LaSal Loop Rd is mild and can be a welcome respite from the sun and heat.
6) I'm sure you will get some other ideas if you research.

Reactions: Sandman14
#20 ·
FYI, the MOAB Visitor's Center is a great place to gather info when you are in town.

However, if you are really into wheeling Moab and especially if you plan to make return trips I suggest the following reading.

1) The Funtreks Guidebook in spiral bound Guide To Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2nd Edition): Charles A. Wells, Shelley Mayer: 9781934838068: Amazon.com: Books

2) Utah Trails has many trails the Funtreks book does not. Utah Trails Moab Region: Peter Massey Jeanne Wilson: 9781930193093: Amazon.com: Books

3) The Trails Illustrated/National Geographic map bundle Moab [Map Pack Bundle] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map): National Geographic Maps - Trails Illustrated: 9781597752152: Amazon.com: Books

#101 ·
Reactions: Woodsman
#24 ·
:cool: Cool beans. Did I just say that ? :lookaround:

So am I understanding the proposed Moab run days correctly? Sat/Sun/Mon - July 11-13 ?
Correct. I added dates to the first post. :nerd

If it's not too hot I'll be down the 13th and 14th. Would also like to do an overnighter on the White Rim Trail in June. I could lead a group on Dome Plateu, cool trail. Done it on the bikes and in the Jeep but never in the FJ.
Too hot ? :lol: I'll put you down for Mon and Tues.

#23 · (Edited)
If it's not too hot I'll be down the 13th and 14th. Would also like to do an overnighter on the White Rim Trail in June. I could lead a group on Dome Plateu, cool trail. Done it on the bikes and in the Jeep but never in the FJ.

EDIT! Sweptwingnut and His Wife Karen & My Wife and I ran this trail this month. Fun times. The trail was easy in the FJ. We both had three inches of lift and drug nothing. No winches needed.

Rock Vehicle Off-roading Car Wadi

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Automotive tire

Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Car Winter

Laboca Arch. We ate lunch under the arch out of the snow.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Landscape

#25 ·
I'm not going to commit right now but I am definitely subscribing. NW convoy perhaps, Primer?

#26 ·
A NW convoy would be a lot of fun. It's about 16 hours from here to Moab which is too much for me to drive all at once. Last year I broke it up by camping (free) at the Clark Canyon Reservoir about 70 minutes South of Butte MT. Tons of free waterfront camping. So all you have to do now is commit to going to Moab!

Reactions: Solid E
#28 · (Edited)
Hey guys, we're in, also. :rocker:

Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, we aren't gonna make Summit this year so we'll be heading the opposite direction.

Gonna make a giant "loop" out of the trip. We'll leave Indy and head up through the Badlands & Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Moab, then head back via a south loop through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

#29 ·
Here is some info from the Cruise Moab site:
Cruise Moab - Trail descriptions

Cruise Moab - Trail rating system

I went last year and did Fins & Things, Porcupine Rim, and Poison Spider. Did PS on the last day and ended up after that having my steering wheel about 30 degrees from where it started and many squeaks and rumblings that I am still working on resolving.

#30 ·
That is interesting as I've done Poison Spider on several occasions without any issues in the group other than Devin's stock control arm in 2012. We ran Porcupine last year but skipped the last very rough section near the end. That section alone IMO is worse than anything on Poison Spider.

Anyway, we typically opt for med difficulty trails to avoid breakage and keep from standing around in the sun spotting so many people at each obstacle. Some like Elephant Hill and Hells Revenge are rated difficult but they're really more like medium.

Reactions: MIDSTATESOFFROAD
#31 · (Edited)
This will be my first Summit trip and we have never been to Moab before but we were already planning to spend a couple of days there. I would love to get a pic at TOTW and do some moderate trails with more experienced FJers leading the way. Monday and Tuesday is good. Wednesday we will be in Ouray.

#32 ·
What is Moab like in July? I have been there many times in May but never summer.

I think everyone enjoyed it when we ran Elephant Hill in 2013. I've run this many times including in the dark, is just the really cool beginning to a great trail which includes steps, washes, Devil's Kitchen, SOB Hill, old rock art, a short hike to view the Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers and more. It is over an hour south west of Moab in the southern entrance to Canyonlands. You weren't going to do anything else that day were you ? I consider it a must-do if you haven't before. Unfortunately, dogs are not permitted in Canyonlands backcountry so folks with dogs CANNOT do this run. I think stock rigs can do this but lift, sliders and skids are still recommended.
Elephant Hill is my favorite trail in Moab. Maybe you could mix it up by doing the Joint Trail hike instead of the Confluence this time. The Joint Trail is unique and well worth the hike, which is a bit longer than the Confluence, but if my fat ass can do it you guys can too.

As far as dogs, there are pet daycares in Moab.

If you have a lift I don't think you'll need skid plates for this trail.

Have fun guys. I'll be there in May again this year.

#33 ·
What is Moab like in July? I have been there many times in May but never summer.

Elephant Hill is my favorite trail in Moab. Maybe you could mix it up by doing the Joint Trail hike instead of the Confluence this time. The Joint Trail is unique and well worth the hike, which is a bit longer than the Confluence, but if my fat ass can do it you guys can too.

As far as dogs, there are pet daycares in Moab.

If you have a lift I don't think you'll need skid plates for this trail.

Have fun guys. I'll be there in May again this year.
Summer is hot but has not been unbearable the last three years. We spend most of our time in the vehicles anyway but I would not say that any of our time spent outside of the vehicles was what I would call miserable.

I agree on the joint trail. It all depends on how big the group is and how quickly we can move. If we're running short on time we could skip the out and back part going to the confluence . . . or if doing well on time we could do both.

I somewhat agree on the skid plate comment but also realize that many coming out for this don't have a huge amount of wheeling experience so protection is good. I've run Elephant Hill humerous times and conditions vary enough that I know there is always something that you can drop or drag your vehicle across if not careful. In addition, having the right equipment means everyone is prepared for other trail runs too.

Thanks for mentioning the pet day care. I would highly recommend that anyone with a dog consider this if wanting to do Elephant Hill.

#41 ·
When it comes to weather, after three years we are probably seeing an average. Every year, in the days leading up to this we have seen Moab forecasts from 100 to 115 but I've rarely seen my dash thermometer go beyond low 90s. The town of Moab is pretty hot during the day with all that black pavement making up one big heat sink . . . but we don't spend the day in Moab. Although we really haven't needed to in the past, we can always tailor the trail choice to the weather that day. For example, if it is super hot we can avoid trails like Hells Revenge which offer no relief from the heat and choose trails in the mountains or valleys.

Of course, have jackets for morning, evening, and Ouray.

#42 ·
Everytime I drive out of Moab for the last time each trip, I think to myself, "yep gonna be back here next year for sure! Or sooner!" but real life gets in the way. So me n Patti are getting hitched this year, and finances may not stretch to include our already limited but busy summer/fall. However got some good news today regarding work this year, so who knows. We are still considering our options. Would love to reconnect with old friends!

#45 ·
Would be great to see you there and you are always welcome to join. :bigthumb:

#43 · (Edited)
As it has been customary the last few years, here is the official planning thread for 2015 ! :bigthumb: To be clear, this is not part of the FJ Summit. This is just a way get in a few more days of wheeling on your vacation, meet some new faces and get an introduction to Moab if you've never been there before. There are no registration fees and it is not an "organized event", just a bunch of friends getting together to wheel (if any rangers ask :lol: ) on Saturday 11th, Sunday 12th, Monday 13th and possibly Tuesday 14th (see more info below).

Tentative attendance - updated 1-30-15 Please don't ask to be put on the list until you are very confident that you can make it !
Woodsman Sat Sun Mon head to Ouray Tues
Flyjester Sun Mon Tue morn
blkhwk
Primer
Old Sarge
Higear
Moab Junky Mon Tues
Redeemed
jeepconvert Sat Sun Mon Tues
Velociraptor Mon Tues

Basil - maybe
Mr & Mrs Wasp Sat, Sun, Mon Head to Ouray Tues
Note: Interested in doing White Rim Trail and camping overnight.

#46 ·
We did white rim trail last year before heading to ouray. Definitely a must do trail. Nothing technical but the scenery is amazing. We camped one night and were able to finish the trail close to sun down on the second day. We did stop a lot for sightseeing and pictures but with maybe 5 miles left we did not stop. If you don't want to be rushed I would suggest 2 days of camping but it is very capable to do it with one night of camping.

#44 ·
We went with the Moab group in 2014 and had a blast. It was hot for many, but since we are from South Alabama it was not uncomfortable. Without the humidity of the south, the high temperatures are not so stressful for us. You have to drink very large amounts of water both in Moab and at the Summit. Shade is nice to have during the stops, so bring a large umbrella. It makes a big difference. I just installed a Foxwing awning so we will bring plenty of shade this year.

Attachments

#48 ·
Okay, I'm in for all four days as long as I don't get laid off at work before then. With oil prices dropping it's anybody's guess, but I'm still employed and I've made arraignments for someone to fill in for me at work. So, I'm planning as though all will be good! And with over 25k in new mods to the FJ since my last trip out there, I'm ready to put them to use!!! AND I'm looking forward to seeing old faces and meeting new as well! So Woodsy, put me down if this is "for sure" enough. And if anything terrible happens, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks buddy!

#49 ·
Will be great seeing you again. You've been added. :bigthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.