Moab before the Summit - 2017 Edition - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2017 FJCruiser Summit For all threads regarding the 10th annual FJCruiser Summit

114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Post Moab before the Summit - 2017 Edition

As it has been customary the last few years, here is the official planning thread for 2017 ! To be clear, this is not part of the FJ Summit. This is just a way get in a few more days of wheeling on your vacation, meet some new faces and get an introduction to Moab if you've never been there before. There are no registration fees and it is not an "organized event", just a bunch of friends getting together to wheel (if any rangers ask ) on Saturday 15th, Sunday 16th, Monday 17th and possibly Tuesday 18th (see more info below).

I'll lead runs on Saturday 15th, Sunday 16th, Monday 17th and I'll head towards Ouray/Summit for Summit setup on Tuesday 18th. If you decide to stick around Moab on Tuesday you can checkout the town of Moab, Arches NP or whatever you want to do on your own. Last year, several of us took a scenic route, partially on dirt, over to Ouray on Tuesday. I do not recommend making the three hour drive to Ouray in the late evening or in the dark. The one time I did this, there were multiple near misses with very large deer.

We'll be concentrating as much on great scenery and views as we are on great wheeling. Most of you are driving a long ways for this and the Summit and a major breakage would be a big killjoy. There are some good obstacles mixed in with rock crawling, sand washes etc but nothing a very skilled driver couldn't do with a stock FJ. For lesser skilled drivers, aftermarket skid plates and sliders are recommended. Bring your cameras !

We had a great time in 2012 with folks from all over enjoying Kane Creek Canyon, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Poison Spider and Shafer Trail . . . with a bit of the White Rim Road oops ! In 2013 we hit Long Canyon, Shafer Trail, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill. In 2014 we ran Seven Mile Rim, Top of the World, Shafer Trail, Long Canyon, Hells Revenge, Porcupine Rim, Spring Canyon and Tusher Tunnel. In 2015, we hit (in multiple groups) Lockhart Basin, Hells Revenge, Bull Canyon, Poison Spider and many others. In 2016, some of us did more difficult trails such as Kane Creek, Lockhart Basin and Flat Iron Mesa and some did other trails such as Onion Creek/Geyser Pass.

Depending on what everyone wants to do, we will probably divide into two or three groups and head in different directions. Devin (flyjester) and I will be leading and sometimes others volunteer if they know specific trails. Please let me know if you want to lead a trail.

Link to 2013 pictures here ---> MOAB before the Summit - PICTURES

Bringing the group up to SOB Hill on the Elephant Hill Trail.

The weather in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 was good. However, past weather is no guarantee of future weather. Once we get close to trip time, the 15 day weather forecast should give us an idea of whether the Moab weather will be like but I wouldn't worry too much about it. http://www.climate-charts.com/noaa-us2/UT425733.png

Hope to see you there.

[B]It can be really slow getting groups moving in the morning, especially when folks roll in right at the planned departure time and still need to gas-up and run into the store for supplies. Let's plan to meet at 8:30 so we can be on the road to the trail heads at 9:00. PLEASE BE GASSED UP AND HAVE YOUR GROCERIES READY.

Meeting at City Market, 426 South Main Street (just a few blocks south of downtown and on the east side of hwy 191) - gather on north end of parking area (the left as you drive in) - you can gas up at their gas station and pickup snacks, drinks, ice etc but please get there early enough to allow for all of this so we aren't held up.

In the pic below, City Market is the big white roofed building with the red tag. We will meet on the north side of the parking lot just below the word Grand. Their gas station is just above the word Uranium. Again, make sure to be there early to gas up and buy food and beverages.

Tentative attendance Please don't ask to be put on the list until you are very confident that you can make it !
IDFJ, FAUJI, bazross and 5 others like this.

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Last edited by Woodsman; 04-23-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Moab before the Summit - 2017 Edition

We will shoot for a good day on the trails without wearing everyone out. We've had a few long days in the past and I realize this and am smart enough to know it so we'll plan runs to finish well before sunset so we have a little more time off the trail. Also, if anyone is uncomfortable with the terrain or needs spotting we will determine that and line up for the trail so you are behind someone that is experienced and capable of spotting.

It is worth mentioning that we've run Shafer Trail and Top of the World several years in a row. They are both great runs for photos (aren't they all ?) but it would be great to run more of the other trails.

Again, trails we've run in the past include the following and they are all worth consideration.
Kane Creek Canyon 2012 2016
Seven Mile Rim 2014
Top of the World 2012 2013 2014 2015
Metal Masher 2012
Poison Spider 2012 2015
Shafer Trail (can be done as a loop with Long Canyon) 2012 2013 2014 2015
Long Canyon 2013 2014 2015
Hells Revenge 2013, 2014 2015 2016
Elephant Hill 2013 (Now requires permits so only a few people can do it together)
Porcupine Rim 2014
San Rafael Swell 2015
Flat Iron Mesa 2016
Spring Canyon/Tusher Tunnel 2014
Fins 'n' Things 2013
Dome Plateau 2015
Bull Canyon 2015
Lockhart Basin 2015 2016
Onion Creek/Geyser Pass 2016
LaSal Pass 2016

NOTE: There is now a day use permit required for Elephant Hill. They limit groups and this probably makes this one a NO-GO for us but if a few want to go you are welcome to do it. I think everyone enjoyed it when we ran Elephant Hill in 2013. I've run this trail many times including in the pitch black darkness by myself. E-Hill is just the really cool beginning to a great trail which includes steps, washes, Devil's Kitchen, SOB Hill, old rock art, a short hike to view the Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers, the Joint Trail and more. It is over an hour south west of Moab in the southern entrance to Canyonlands. You weren't going to do anything else that day were you ? I consider it a must-do if you haven't before. Unfortunately, dogs are not permitted in Canyonlands backcountry so folks with dogs CANNOT take them on this run. There are "doggy day cares" in Moab for just this reason. I think well-driven (experienced) stock rigs can do this but lift, sliders and skids are still recommended especially for the less-experienced.

FYI, the MOAB Visitor's Center is a great place to gather info when you are in town.

However, if you are really into wheeling Moab and especially if you plan to make return trips I suggest the following reading.

1) The Funtreks Guidebook in spiral bound Guide To Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2nd Edition): Charles A. Wells, Shelley Mayer: 9781934838068: Amazon.com: Books

2) Utah Trails has many trails the Funtreks book does not. Utah Trails Moab Region: Peter Massey Jeanne Wilson: 9781930193093: Amazon.com: Books

3) The Trails Illustrated/National Geographic map bundle Moab [Map Pack Bundle] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map): National Geographic Maps - Trails Illustrated: 9781597752152: Amazon.com: Books

4) Latitude 40 maps Moab | Latitude 40 Maps

A few cool shots from 2013.

Group shot along the Shafer Trail switchbacks on Sunday

Bringing the group up the first big climb on Hells Revenge

Climbing back up the backside of Elephant Hill on Monday before returning to Moab for a group meal

All Pro Tacoma posing ass-end-to-the-wind at Top of the World on Tuesday

All Pro Tacoma coming back down from Top of the World on Tuesday

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Last edited by Woodsman; 04-23-2017 at 08:17 AM.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Garage

For anyone on the fence, I highly recommend this trip before the Summit. Great trails and great people!

Wish I was coming out with you guys this year..

-Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Garage

I'll sweet talk my little wife a little bit before I commit, I would like to go with you guys earlier on these runs rather than by myself after the Summit. I'll see what I can work out before I commit.
Woodsman, tennallie and debFJVT like this.

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage

We have our campsite reserved. Don't forget your camera. These were from 2015 in Lockhart basin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	700.5 KB
ID:	868929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	868937  
Woodsman and Thorn661 like this.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:08 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Cool Re: Moab before the Summit - 2017 Edition

just awesome!! really want to do this on the way to the summit. Let me see if I am able to get few extra days to be able to fit this in.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I'll be there again. Sat. - Tues. It's always a great time.

2013 Black FJ 4x4, ARB deluxe front bumper with IPF 900 Fog lights, ARB Skid plates, Warn M8000 winch, Bilstein 6112's & 5160's, ARB Outback Overhead Console with Uniden Pro520XL CB installed, Firestik II FS 4ft Antenna, BMC, 16" Pro Comp Rock Crawler Series 97 Wheels with 285/70/16 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires, MetalTech offset lower links, Light racing UCA, Dirty parts Dual battery setup, PureFJ Standard Rock Rails, Safari Snorkel...
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage

BIGGUY, Woodsman, FAUJI and 2 others like this.

2010 Sandstorm :: auto :: 315/75R16 Nitto Grapplers :: All-pro skids :: Walker Evans coil overs & shocks :: Bulldog winch :: Demello bumper & sliders :: snorkel :: rock cams w/7" LCD :: Asus TF201 Prime nav :: Intronics dashcam :: Scangauge :: Uniden PC78 :: 10# Powertank :: dual Viair 150psi onboard air :: DP Dual Battery :: Rigid LEDs :: s-POD :: Onboard LTE Wifi
Summit 2016 :: 4WDABC Cruiser Days 2016 :: Summit 2014 :: Cruise Moab 2013 :: Summit 2012
VA7CXP :: TLCA#22101 :: 4WD Assoc of BC :: Coastal Cruisers :: President of Low Gear Society lowgearsociety at gmail.com
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Garage

I really want to go to the first couple days of this! Still planning my trip but I'll let you know.
Woodsman, FAUJI, bazross and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Garage

Reservations made, pulling in Friday
@Woodsman , I didn't see any mention of 2016 in the write up...?
Woodsman, FAUJI, tennallie and 2 others like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2017 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.