CB RADIOS - get them ready for the Summit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2017 FJCruiser Summit For all threads regarding the 10th annual FJCruiser Summit

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation CB RADIOS - get them ready for the Summit

For anyone that is new to the FJ Summit this year, please be aware that CB radios are the standard method of communications between trail leaders and group members. Everything goes much smoother and more efficiently if we can communicate without stopping and jumping out of the vehicle countless times. While we don't officially "require" that you have a CB, I can say with complete confidence that you and everyone in your vehicle will enjoy the Summit much moreso if they can hear and participate in the radio chatter. Please don't let this go to the last minute. In all honesty, it's very irritating to trail leaders and other participants if you don't have a CB for communications.

For additional info: please refer to this info from JB. Many vendors sell CB packages for the FJ which are quick and painless to install.

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
CB's aren't essential for Summit, but they are near the top of the "nice to have" department. It's a surprisingly inexpensive mod for how much benefit you get out of it.

Here's my CB install thread from years ago with photos: Jimmy's CB Install

The main details of my build are:
  1. Midland 75-822 radio, which can be used both as a portable and as a wired radio inside the truck. The quality / features / functionality isn't as good as a full-size Cobra (few are), but the mountains will block your signal anyway. The nice thing about this radio is that it allows you to have a very clean interior when the radio is not in use.
  2. Wilson Flex antenna, much more flexible than the standard Firestik that most people get. You don't need a spring, all you need is a quick disconnect. I think Firestik now makes a more flexible antenna to match the Wilson but I don't have any experience with it.

Everything else about my CB install is pretty standard: bandi-type mount on the rear door hinge, wiring etc.

If you're coming to Summit and are on the fence about getting a CB, jump off the fence and dive in. You will enjoy the experience much more with a radio. The last time I priced everything, it was ~$195 before shipping. I can't imagine the price has gone up much since then.

There are other examples of CB setups for people's FJ's -- top console mounts, dash mounts etc -- so you have some flexibility in which radio / setup to do. My setup is intended for occasional CB users and prioritizes simplicity / clean uninstall over getting that last mile or two of range.

No matter what setup you go with, getting a CB for Summit will help you enjoy the experience that much more.

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Garage
Re: CB RADIOS - get them ready for the Summit

A CB radio makes Summit a much more social experience as well. With a CB, you can hear/have conversations about FJs, make friends, or (as we did last year) listen to @FJX2000 tell stories about unicorns and whatnot. Without it, you're just driving along in relative silence. Definitely a good investment, and easily done/removed. The only permanent parts of my setup (same as JB's, but using the 4' firestik) are the coax running under some interior panels and the antenna mount. I store the CB in the glove box and the antenna on the hook in the roof of the FJ.

NESSIE, 2011 NSSE edition

-DO rally bumper (deer dent special)
-IronMan FCP coilovers
-OME cheap LT rear
-275/70r17 MTR/kevlar tires
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)

Well put James.

Yes it makes things easier for the leaders. But for the other it really adds to the fun. Hearing stories, asking questions, asking for a spotter, or just calling out an Eagle in the trees.

For years I used a Radio Shack handheld with a remote mic and a magnetic antenna. It broke and now I have a Uniden that I Velcro to the glove box when needed and the same antenna. This one doesn't have the weather radio built in. But I can tune that in on one of my ham radios. I have a Yaesu quad band radio permanently installed in the FJ and a Yaesu Ft-60R HT.
Woodsman, BOBTAILFJ and jamesepoop like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:14 PM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
DubstepPear previously said: View Post
A CB radio makes Summit a much more social experience as well. With a CB, you can hear/have conversations about FJs, make friends, or (as we did last year) listen to @FJX2000 tell stories about unicorns and whatnot. Without it, you're just driving along in relative silence. Definitely a good investment, and easily done/removed. The only permanent parts of my setup (same as JB's, but using the 4' firestik) are the coax running under some interior panels and the antenna mount. I store the CB in the glove box and the antenna on the hook in the roof of the FJ.
CB radios make life better and i recommend getting a real one not just a hand held... it doesn't quite cut it...
Woodsman likes this.

FJX2000 - Hayden - - PM me if my photo links aren't working!

FJ #1 - 2007 TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser - SOLD
FJ #2 - 2008 Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser

Favorite Threads:
My First FJ's Build Thread
My Adventures Thread
Lift Comparison
Front Bumper Comparison
Rear Bumper Comparison
Special Edition FJ Guide
June 2013 Member of the Month

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Need to get me one... would be my first trip

G8RZ
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I've got a couple of folks I wheel with on occasion where they didn't want to mount a permanent cb installation. So the use portable cb radios. One of the more popular one I see is the Cobra HH Road Trip model. You can find it on amazon. Comes with a magnetic antenna. Seems to do the job from what I've seen.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

We run this one in our 5th gen 4Runner: https://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-82...cb+radio&psc=1 with this antenna: https://www.amazon.com/WILSON-305-38...gnetic+antenna

Transmitting and receiving are clear and the range isn't too bad either.

Still there are spots up there where event the best CB's have a hard time. I was hoping to have a HAM setup by now but maybe next year. Still, having that communication is awesome and has proven to be a very important tool up there.
rotorhed1 likes this.

RON
2008 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4
6112's, Icon coils, Fox rears, ST Maxx, Relentless Fab front, Stubbs sliders, RCI skids, Build: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ld-thread.html

2014 4Runner Trail Edition
Icons, SAW coils, Camburgs, BudBuilt sliders, Pelfreybilt front, RCI skids, Drone Mobile, Build: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I have had good luck with the kit purchased from pure fj. Had a couple of buddies lend a hand for the install, which was pretty painless. The midland is also a nice option as it plugs right into the cigarette lighter...

2013 Cement TTSE / 2012 4Runner TE
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)

I recommend a Midland 75-822 with Wilson Little Wil antenna, if you're not going to commit to a permanent installation.
gm350reratliff likes this.

What size tires will fit on my FJ?

2016 North America Off Road Events

The owner's manual for your FJ is right here. <--- This is a link. Many answers to your questions are contained within.

See the relationship between highway speed and MPG here.

TLCA 5301
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I run a Midland 75-822 with a Wilson 1000 Antenna and a now well tuned Wilson short whip. Reception has been great, especially on my 5 days road trip last month to Big Bend state park. I like this temporal setup as I can take it all off after my road trips. Everything on my suv comes off after my road trip. That is what I like about these setups that are not permanent. When I go on a road trip, I dress it up to fit the part going offroad. When I get back home. I spend 30 minutes to take everything off and my car is back to fully stock look.

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada1; 05-19-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2017 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.