Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

10 inch or 8 inch Rims

8K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  dwc2134 
#1 · (Edited)
I was told that it was better to put 33 inch tires on 10 inch rims instead of 8(or 7.5) inch rims. Reason being is that the 33 inch tire can curl up under the rim easier if it is a 10 inch rim when airing down to traverse snow pack or sand.

Is this something everyone agrees with? Buy 10 inch rims instead of 8 inch when planning to go off road typically?

Side-Note: I could see how the 10 inch rim would give a cooler profile to the tire on the FJ...but then would the 8 inch rim be better for a daily driver?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Mike

#5 ·
I am running 33 inch tires...the point the guy was making to me...it seemed...was that a wider rim with the same tire size would give better 'cupping' when off roading when aired down...true?

For example...33 inch tire on a 7.5 inch rim vs a 33 inch tire on a 10 inch rim....one better than other for off roading when aired down?

:)

Mike

#6 · (Edited)
Like I said you are quoting tire height "33inches" but are asking about rim width. A 33inch tall tire can just as easily be 9 inches wide as it can 12 inches wide. Obviously if you want to run a 9 inch wide tire the 8 inch wide rim would be better, likewise if you want to run the 12 inch wide tire you're going to need the 10 inch wide rim. But you're not telling us what width tire you want to use, you only keep telling us the height "33s".

We need more info in order to properly help you.

#8 ·
Is anyone on here running a 10" wheel? That is a wide wheel. I have 9" wheels, and you can run up to a 13.50" tire on mine. I believe 10" is for 14" tire and up, which means its probably close to 40" tall! Correct?

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#12 ·
I was told that you cold run 12.5s on the stock 7.5 alloys without any problems

#13 ·
something isnt making sense to me I don't know of any 33x9 in tire most 33s are between 10.5 and 12.5 inches wide.Do you know the actual tire size you will be running?
ten wide wheels you will need some fender flares for sure they will stick well past stock fenders. A wider wheel will give you a better foot print on the sand. Most people are running between the stock 7.5 wide wheel which for me seems a bit narrow up to a 9in. I upgraded to 8.5in wheels with 285/70/17 tires (33x11), I do a good amount of offroading in deep sand so I wanted a bit wider wheel

#15 ·
Agreed, there is no 9" wide 33" tire. The narrowest would be a 255/80R17 and that comes in at 10" wide. What's the actual tire size you'll be running OP? Unless it's a 12.5" tire (315) I wouldn't consider the 10" rim. A lot of people run 285s (11.2") on the stock 7.5" rims and have no problems. And like Cholerabob some even run 12.5" wheels on the stock rims.

Reactions: klittle09
#14 ·
I have 33 x 12.5" BFG's on 9.75" wheels. This setup has the perfect amount of sidewall bulge beyond the edge of the rim for excellent street handling (steering response) ... but not enough wheel protection (sidewall bulge) for off-road. I would go 9" for the best of both worlds assuming 50++% use is street.

#16 ·
I ran 12.50" wide tires on 7" wide wheels for a long time without problem. You shouldn't have any problem running a 10" or 12.5" wide tire on the stock 7.5"ers, but if you are going to go with a wider wheel I wouldn't go any wider then 8 with 10" tires or 9-10 with 12.5" wide tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.