LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suspension or Body Lift?

I'm looking to get a 3in lift but I am a little unsure of what to get. I am looking for the best price with the best quality. Any ideas?

Thanks,

OMFJ

2008 Silver FJ
-3in Rough Country Lift
-XD Diesel Rims w/ 285 BFG AT's.

War Eagle!

Last edited by WarFJEagle; 01-21-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Re: Suspension or Body Lift?

Lifts come in 3" or 6". I have not heard of a member yet running a body lift (though Im sure they are out there). It just depends on how much money you want to spend. If your looking on the cheaper side you could get an old man emu suspension lift pretty cheap....or you could go the coilover route which will cost you a bit more.....but the ride will be better.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

You could get a good quality lift 3"OME then get the 1" body lift grommets... Add a set of 285/70/17 33" tire and whala! almost 5.5" of overall lift

Fabtech 6"+ OME 3" 20" BBS
Federal 35" M/T,1.25 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy Outfitters bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill
#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

It would be good to spend some time doing some research to help you narrow down some ideas. Start with the articles in the Tech section and read through some of the build threads. I'd start with this one for sure...

DIFFERENT TYPES OF SUSPENSION LIFTS: A simple primer

You have more options with the 2wd than a 4wd. I don't know of a 4" body lift available for the FJC. Toytec makes a 1" and I think a couple others have done 2" body lifts.

Old Man Emu (OME) is a great choice to replace the stock coilovers up front and spring/shocks in the rear. Going to adjustable coilovers like ICON are a step up for sure and worth it IMHO.

Good luck with your research and choices...

See me on ih8mud...
'07 GSJ15, well enhanced SOLD
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Olde North State Cruisers TLCA delegate
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF
#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Mtbcoach previously said: View Post
It would be good to spend some time doing some research to help you narrow down some ideas. Start with the articles in the Tech section and read through some of the build threads. I'd start with this one for sure...

DIFFERENT TYPES OF SUSPENSION LIFTS: A simple primer

You have more options with the 2wd than a 4wd. I don't know of a 4" body lift available for the FJC. Toytec makes a 1" and I think a couple others have done 2" body lifts.

Old Man Emu (OME) is a great choice to replace the stock coilovers up front and spring/shocks in the rear. Going to adjustable coilovers like ICON are a step up for sure and worth it IMHO.

Good luck with your research and choices...
Thanks, I cannot find a 4in, but my friends Wrangler has a 4, thought they would have one made. Guess I gotta do some more research.

Thanks again everyone.

2008 Silver FJ
-3in Rough Country Lift

War Eagle!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 AM

I also have a 2wd and have been searching for a lift big enough for 35" tires. So far this is the coolest looking 2wd I have found, as far as lift goes, but don't know if 35's would fit.

OK, so now how many of us 4x2s have done a lift??

Find reply #40 by Moeses18-should be at bottom of page.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Forum Veteran

heres my 4x2. in the first photos im running bilstein 5100's in the front with 4x4 coils and struts in the rear for about .75" of lift in the back and 2" to 2.5" in the front. this would cost you about $300.

in the last 2 photos im running ICON stage 2 extended travel CO's in the front and ICON springs and struts in the rear. this will cost you about $2500 with ICON UCAs or $2000 with Total Chaos UCAs.

you cant do this with a body lift alone (although suspension lift + body lift gives room for bigger tires and adds performance)

in all these photos im running stock size 265s but you could go up to 285. any bigger and you will have rubbing issues and/or fender bulges with a 3" lift. not saying you cant go larger but if you do and you expect to bomb through the desert and not see fender bulges, youre mistaken. IMO, if you dont want to spend a lot, go with an OME lift all around or do what I did starting out, bilstein 5100 up front and 4x4 suspension in the back. if you want a good performance lift then go with ICON, SAW, King, or maybe fox but expect to spend $1500 on up. with a body lift you wont get any performance gains, youll just be able to fit bigger tires.

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon

Last edited by rider77; 01-25-2010 at 10:03 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the advice and nice rig. So, those are stock size tires? I guess I need to get online and keep doing some more research.

2008 Silver FJ
-3in Rough Country Lift

War Eagle!
#9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
OleMissFJ previously said: View Post
Thanks for the advice and nice rig. So, those are stock size tires? I guess I need to get online and keep doing some more research.
thank you and yes, those are the stock tire size but not the stock tires mine came with.

im currently running 265s because my friend who has the same suspension as me on his 4x2 FJ is running 285s and he has bad fender bulges from bottoming out the tire into the wheel well. you can easily fit 285s and maybe even a little bit bigger with a 3" lift but if you are bombing through the desert you might also get fender bulges. it all depends on how hard you drive and because I drive hard I wanted to stick with 265s. im thinking about going up to 285s next set of tires to get some more surface area (for sand driving) but ill probably push it a little less hard in the desert.

ill probably get flamed here on my opinions about 285s...im not saying they wont work but you will get a little rub inside the fender under full compression and for me that was a big deal. for others it isnt a big deal. all im trying to get at is that I spent a good amount on my suspension and I wanted to be able to take full advantage of it without worrying about my tires hitting the wheel wells. for the average driver 285s will work out well but I just wanted to make the point that you could get some fender rubbing and/or bulges.

so just consider what type of driving you will be doing. 4x2s out here in SoCal tend to do a lot of desert stuff where good suspension is a must. but in case you dont know the 4x2 does crawl fairly well if you know what you are doing. ive had numerous times where people were like, "so who out here is a 4x2? I keep on hearing about a 4x2 but I havent seen them." they say this to me and then cant believe I was the 4x2 who just went up and down the same stuff they did. so consider your driving before you spend good money on new tires and suspension. you might be able to fit bigger tires if all you are doing is moderate trail runs and no high speed desert thrashing.

sorry, hope I didnt confuse you here.

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
#10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Some one on the board had posted a step by step how to on body lift. It was very well done, I am having trouble finding it.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.