Will 3" RC Suspension Lift work on the 4x2?? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

4x2 Discussion This area is for discussion about the 4x2 equipped FJ Cruisers

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Regular

Member Number: 22542
Will 3" RC Suspension Lift work on the 4x2??

I want to buy the RC 3" suspension lift. However, RC's website only lists the lift as being available for 4x4 FJ Cruisers.

Does anyone know if this lift also work on my 4x2? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 1630
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Will 3" RC Suspension Lift work on the 4x2??

Yes.

"Design is in everything we make, but itís also between those things. It's a mix of craft, science, storytelling, propaganda, and philosophy."
Erik Adigard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 22641

yes, but the front wont sit as high, you'd probably have some noticeable rake. It would work though.
Icon Ext. Travel Coilovers, Icon 2" Rear Springs, Icon 2.0 V.S. Rear Shocks, Icon Tubular UCA's, Granite Ga9 17x8, Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/r17, Demello Single Hoop Front Bumper, All-Pro Rear Bumper, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro IFS Skid, 20" KC LZR LED Bar, 2 Rigid Dually Amber Floods, CCFL Halo Projectors, 50w 5000k TRS HID's, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Volant CAI, Kenwood DNX9980, 1.25" Spidertraxx Wheel Spacers, BMC.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Regular

Member Number: 22542

Thanks.

I think I will put a pair of Toyota 4x4 springs on the front at the same time I install the RC 3" lift. I imagine that would allow the lift to almost entirely eliminate the rake?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Master

Quote:
Maxdog previously said: View Post
Thanks.

I think I will put a pair of Toyota 4x4 springs on the front at the same time I install the RC 3" lift. I imagine that would allow the lift to almost entirely eliminate the rake?
Yes, that will. That's a good plan, you can probably find some toyota 4x4 springs on the forums for free. I'm sure some of the guys who have upgraded to OME, Icon, WE, etc. would be willing to give them to you either for free or a very low price.
Icon Ext. Travel Coilovers, Icon 2" Rear Springs, Icon 2.0 V.S. Rear Shocks, Icon Tubular UCA's, Granite Ga9 17x8, Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/r17, Demello Single Hoop Front Bumper, All-Pro Rear Bumper, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro IFS Skid, 20" KC LZR LED Bar, 2 Rigid Dually Amber Floods, CCFL Halo Projectors, 50w 5000k TRS HID's, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Volant CAI, Kenwood DNX9980, 1.25" Spidertraxx Wheel Spacers, BMC.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 13753

Quote:
tornadolax11 previously said: View Post
yes, but the front wont sit as high, you'd probably have some noticeable rake. It would work though.
actually it will sit higher on the 4x2 then it would on the 4x4 because the 4x4 is 300lbs heavier.

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
Old 02-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Maxdog previously said: View Post
Thanks.

I ran the 4x4 COs in the front and 4x4 springs in the rear for awhile and it was much better than stock 4x2 setup. also only cost me about $50 from someone on the forum.

another option is 4x4 springs in the rear and bilstein 5100s with 4x4 coils up front.

any lift that fits the 4x4 will also fit the 4x2.

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Master

Quote:
rider77 previously said: View Post
actually it will sit higher on the 4x2 then it would on the 4x4 because the 4x4 is 300lbs heavier.
With the 4x4 springs, most likely, but with the 4x2 springs it would still probably be a little bit lower, or just about the same height. The stock 4x4 sits higher in the front than the stock 4x2, and with spacers you aren't changing the load rating of the spring, just the length. By adding the rough country springs and shocks in the rear, the rear of the 4x2 is going to be the same height as the rear of a 4x4 with the RC lift, and the front of the 4x2 with the 4x2 springs and RC spacers is going to sit lower than the front of a 4x4 with the RC spacers.

On the other hand, with 4x4 springs on the front and the RC spacers, I can see where this would come into affect as you will have less weight riding on the springs...but actually when I think about it, isn't most of the 300 extra pounds coming from the lack of a transfer case and front diff? If that's the case, then there would be no difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 heights because there would not be a difference in the load on the springs as the body in both 4x4 and 4x2 weigh the same...I could be wrong on this part though.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Quote:
tornadolax11 previously said: View Post
With the 4x4 springs, most likely, but with the 4x2 springs it would still probably be a little bit lower, or just about the same height. The stock 4x4 sits higher in the front than the stock 4x2, and with spacers you aren't changing the load rating of the spring, just the length. By adding the rough country springs and shocks in the rear, the rear of the 4x2 is going to be the same height as the rear of a 4x4 with the RC lift, and the front of the 4x2 with the 4x2 springs and RC spacers is going to sit lower than the front of a 4x4 with the RC spacers.

On the other hand, with 4x4 springs on the front and the RC spacers, I can see where this would come into affect as you will have less weight riding on the springs...but actually when I think about it, isn't most of the 300 extra pounds coming from the lack of a transfer case and front diff? If that's the case, then there would be no difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 heights because there would not be a difference in the load on the springs as the body in both 4x4 and 4x2 weigh the same...I could be wrong on this part though.
sorry thought you were saying the same lift would sit lower on the 4x2 than on the 4x4. yes, the stock 4x2 is way lower than the 4x4...thats why I immediately changed over to the 4x4 setup. currently im running ICON all around with no issues. everything is the same on the 4x2 except we dont have a t case, different rear drive line, no CVs.

isnt the t case mounted to the frame/chassis? therefore, its "sprung weight" and not "un-sprung weight" ?

Prerunner bumper build

Old 02-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Master

Quote:
rider77 previously said: View Post
sorry thought you were saying the same lift would sit lower on the 4x2 than on the 4x4. yes, the stock 4x2 is way lower than the 4x4...thats why I immediately changed over to the 4x4 setup. currently im running ICON all around with no issues. everything is the same on the 4x2 except we dont have a t case, different rear drive line, no CVs.

isnt the t case mounted to the frame/chassis? therefore, its "sprung weight" and not "un-sprung weight" ?
Yea, you're right about the t-case, it would be sprung weight, but the front axel would be unsprung weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.