LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mods

Hey guys I purchased my 4x2 almost 2 years ago. I love my FJ, kinda regretted it, being a 4x2 with only reverse sensor and auto LSD. Then I say well I never go offroading, mainly cus I don't wanna get any trail badges and I still wanna maintain the stock look to a certain extent. And plus it's my everyday ride. Well now I'm thinking I really wanna start doing small easy trails, and add mods just in case. So far all I have done is add TT blacks. I have sitting a set of 4x4 suspension that was given to me. Ok now my questions.
-should I install those 4x4 shocks/coils? Or spend alittle more on another type?(remember I won't off road, but couple times a year.
-tires? I wanna keep stock alloys (blacked) but wanna add better AT tires. Brands/type??
-any other mods that are functional at my level? Don't wanna remove stock bumpers either.
-thinking of going w demello round tube sliders, since I have running boards. If I can get oem or trail gear at a cheaper price.
Thanks guys
Joey

any advice on anything too lol.

2008 4x2 Sandstorm TT Blacked out, Demello sliders, 5100 Bilstein shocks up front, OME/ICON on the rear, Nitto Terra Grapps(265/70/17)...

MyRig
My 4X2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: Mods

first off, my 4x2 started out the same way as yours, LSD only and minor add ons from the factory.

4x4 suspension is a great option to make you level and a tiny bit stiffer. if you want a little bit more lift go for the bilstein 5100s up front.

tons of options out there for tires but since you dont want to offroad much id look at something similar to the dueler at revos or the nitto terra grapler.

best advice I can give is to hit the trail with us this sunday so we can get you hooked on offroading. im like you, I never intended to offroad or I would have bought a 4x4. once the bug hit it couldnt be stopped. for what it is the 4x2 is great. ive been pretty much everywhere with my 4x2. see the trail link below. lots of 4x2s going. btw, you pretty much dont have a choice, cancel all your plans this weekend, youre going with us.

Cleghorn 04/25/10 - SoCal FJ Cruiser Forums

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon

Last edited by rider77; 04-24-2010 at 12:22 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
rider77 previously said: View Post
first off, my 4x2 started out the same way as yours, LSD only and minor add ons from the factory.

4x4 suspension is a great option to make you level and a tiny bit stiffer. if you want a little bit more lift go for the bilstein 5100s up front.

tons of options out there for tires but since you dont want to offroad much id look at something similar to the dueler at revos or the nitto terra grapler.

best advice I can give is to hit the trail with us this sunday so we can get you hooked on offroading. im like you, I never intended to offroad or I would have bought a 4x4. once the bug hit it couldnt be stopped. for what it is the 4x2 is great. ive been pretty much everywhere with my 4x2. see the trail link below. lots of 4x2s going. btw, you pretty much dont have a choice, cancel all your plans this weekend, youre going with us.

Cleghorn 04/25/10 - SoCal FJ Cruiser Forums
Lol I'm already on the list fir tomorrows run... Just got the butterflies since Its my first time. Plus I only have running boards, I'm gonna remove them

2008 4x2 Sandstorm TT Blacked out, Demello sliders, 5100 Bilstein shocks up front, OME/ICON on the rear, Nitto Terra Grapps(265/70/17)...

MyRig
My 4X2
#4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
joeymozzer previously said: View Post
Lol I'm already on the list fir tomorrows run... Just got the butterflies since Its my first time. Plus I only have running boards, I'm gonna remove them
ya sorry bout that, I just realized I saw your name on the list. ya, take those running boards off, theyre useless. if it makes any difference, ive been running for 3 years with no rock rails and have never had an issue, it makes you a better driver not relying on them all the time to save you.

hope youre ready to have some fun, its gonna be a great day. well show you what the 4x2s can really do, even a stock one like yours. we can talk more tomorrow about mods if you want.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
#5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Forum Veteran

btw, if your gonna install the 4x4 suspension, install the rear coils too, theyre stiffer than the 4x2.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

#6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Yea cool Ty. I got the whole set up from eagle scout. Just need some help installing cus idk how. Lol how much are the bilsteins? Would I need rear too if I went w those?

MyRig
My 4X2
#7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
joeymozzer previously said: View Post
Yea cool Ty. I got the whole set up from eagle scout. Just need some help installing cus idk how. Lol how much are the bilsteins? Would I need rear too if I went w those?
5100s for the front are $200 from toytec. I used to run them, theyre great for the money. with those up front, spacer and 4x4 coils in the rear, you can get a 3" lift. you dont need rear 5100s but they would help make the ride better.

let me know if you want help installing them. all it will cost you is $30 for some harbor freight spring compresors and gas for the drive down to SD...maybe some beer too

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

#8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
rider77 previously said: View Post
5100s for the front are $200 from toytec. I used to run them, theyre great for the money. with those up front, spacer and 4x4 coils in the rear, you can get a 3" lift. you dont need rear 5100s but they would help make the ride better.

let me know if you want help installing them. all it will cost you is $30 for some harbor freight spring compresors and gas for the drive down to SD...maybe some beer too
A-OK.... Ok let me see if I go w bilsteins if I cand some used cheaper. I'll contact you. Maybe couple months or so. See ya mañana beer... Yea of course and dome caprioti's sandwhiches lol

MyRig
My 4X2
#9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Forum Regular

bring it to mod night and we'll walk you through the install.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Maverick previously said: View Post
bring it to mod night and we'll walk you through the install.
I can't make the Friday night one but next phooo shoooow not that I'm a ninja lol... Just remembering the old school 80's ninja movies.. American ninja lol

MyRig
My 4X2

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.