4x2 Discussion This area is for discussion about the 4x2 equipped FJ Cruisers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hitch Mounted Winch

Hey, I just found a winch this weekend while going around to yard sales. Its a 8000 lb winch and right now its mounted to a steel plate. Since I don't really want to spend the money on a new bumper i'm thinking of getting a hitch mount for it for now. I also thought of a front mount receiver so i can move it either way. Has anybody tried this, I'm mostly driving in the dessert and sand is the big issue. So for now i'm looking around for new rope for the winch and a pull pal. So far it looks like the rope will cost more than any of it. Any advice would sure help. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Hitch Mounted Winch

Several folks have used hitch mounted winches and some bumpers are designed with this in mind. Check out ToyOutfitters, Stan (NCFJ) is a supporting vendor and forum member.

08 Sandstorm, CQ, OF, C7, CF, All Wthr Mats, TG Sliders, Extra Horn, Tundra Handles, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Springtail M-PAC HD Side Rack, Basket and Backdoor Rack, S A Fuse Block, IPF 968, LED's under hood, extra 12v outlets, FJTOYMAN's rear shock skids, Scuba Mod, IronMan Front Coils/ToyTec Rear Coils, Bilsteins, ToyTec Swaybar Relo Kit, IMP Shift & Tcase knobs, BudBuilt Skids, Demello/EXp1 Bumpers, 10lb Powertank, Viper Max 12k Winch with Amsteel Synth Line, BajaRack, Hella Marine Flood Lights on rack, Fourtreks Hi-Lift and tool mounts Dennx Design Rear Storage Box, SPC LR UCAs, Bandi Body Lift & BMC
TLCA #19565
GCLC #2128
http://www.fjnortheasters.org
#3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They work great AS LONG AS YOU PULL STRAIGHT. As soon as you have to pull at an angle, you are putting A LOT of stress on the receiver and it could possible snap off on you.

2008 Ti 6MT, off-road package with a few mods.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
FJinCO previously said: View Post
They work great AS LONG AS YOU PULL STRAIGHT. As soon as you have to pull at an angle, you are putting A LOT of stress on the receiver and it could possible snap off on you.
True... but this is 4x2 forum, so it should be pretty light duty stuff.

#5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:49 PM

(Thread Starter)

Good stuff , thanks , I had not thought about pulling at an angle. BTW stopped by 4 wheel shop here in vegas and saw the "Smittybilt" winch line. 230.00 I wanted the rope because its lighter but man thats a lot for rope. I'll have to shop around. One other question have you guys seen these used on the stock receiver?
#6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Send a message via MSN to SKINUM

Quote:
RKyser previously said: View Post
Good stuff , thanks , I had not thought about pulling at an angle. BTW stopped by 4 wheel shop here in vegas and saw the "Smittybilt" winch line. 230.00 I wanted the rope because its lighter but man thats a lot for rope. I'll have to shop around. One other question have you guys seen these used on the stock receiver?
People get a little worked up over pulling at an angle. If your hitch mounted system is braced properly u will not have any issues. Check with NCFJ he makes a product that should meet your needs.

It's not worth doing if you can't drop some f-bombs along the way!

THE BUILD OF SKINUM CLICK HERE TO VIEW
#7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
FJinCO previously said: View Post
This is not true. Receiver mounted winch trays have been around a long while. Most of the winch manufacturers make a tray. I've used this system for years with no problems at all, including severe angle pulls.

The MYTH about only pulling straight is just that, a myth.

"The next best thing to playing and winning, is playing and losing"
Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell
Spirituality is for those who have been there.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.