4x2 Discussion This area is for discussion about the 4x2 equipped FJ Cruisers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should I Get It?

Hi, new member here. I've been thinking about getting an FJ and found one that I like very much and would like to get your guys opinions on it. I don't plan on doing a ton of off-roading, but once in a while will do a bit. I go snowboarding a lot and was thinking a 4x4 would be good for those snowy drives. But the truth is, in 5 years of owning my Scion tC, I've only needed to use my chains 4 or 5 times. So I thought a 4x2 would probably be plenty for my needs. I found an '08 4x2 with a tick over 14,000 miles and test drove it today and really liked it. It's a silver FJ with Crawler Edition Off-road and towing package. Had it been a 4x4, it probably would have come home with me. But the more I thought about it, I really don't need a 4x4, especially after seeing some of the stuff the 4x2 is capable of from your guys pix. My Scion has been flawless (knocks on wood), only needing regular maintenance such as 30 & 60k mile service. Is there anything I should know about the FJ's? For example, I'm a Porsche nut and when looking at newer 911's, you need to look out for Rear Main Seal and Intermediate Main Seal leaks (very costly if they occur). This example is VERY clean in and out and seemed to be taken care of quite well. Here's the for sale ad. I think I can get them down to about $22.5. Should I pull the trigger and give her a new home?

Cars for Sale: 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 2WD in Culver City, CA 90232: Sport Utility Details - 281171351 - AutoTrader.com

Last edited by ScottKelly911; 09-04-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Re: Should I Get It?

It's a nice rig , but I wouldn't pay that much for a 4X2. Don't rush into it. Good luck. .......

NO, that is NOT my picture in my avatar. I wish I was that handsome. ......
#3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Forum Master

I think you'll regret the 4x2 as you grow into it.

What you do speaks so loudly, I cannot hear what you say.

Illegitimi non carborundum.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to BrutusII
Lifetime Supporting Member

I don't know anything about that mod, honestly. I have heard, more so in relation to the Tacoma's at least, that a 4x2 or Pre-runner versions that they will fo just fine in situations that most people will get into. I know when I had my Tacoma I had it in 4WD only a handful of situations.

That said, that is why I bought my FJ. I WANT to get it into 4WD situations. While this is a question you would have to ask yourself, I will offer the opinion that it seems kind of odd they even offer a 4x2 version of the FJ. This beast is made for going off-road. Granted there are a ton of them out there bought just for looks and mall crawling but it seems to me from your post you are an outdoorsy type. I'd go 4x4

2010 TT
AutoHome Medium Grand Tour
Expedition One rear and front bumpers, Rocker Guards, washer bottle.
Old Man Emu Heavy Kit
Weatherguard mats and a Huskyliner coargo mat.
Oh.. and tinting :P
#5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

IMO hold out for a 4X4. But, if that is what suits you, I like it!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Lonesome Dave

It all depends upon your lifestyle, needs and personal preference. I bought a 4x2 FJC because after owning several 4x4 vehicles over the previous twenty years, I realized that I had only engaged 4wd a handful of times. This was despite the fact that I was an avid whitewater kayaker, and spent a lot of time camping in the Big Bend area of Texas.

The 4x2 FJC is plenty capable, as many other 4x2 owners on this forum will attest. You may not be able to get into any serious rock-crawling, but if all you ever deal with are trails and snow, you should be fine.

Also, I really think that $22,500 is a pretty decent price for the FJC you're looking at. I was told that my 2007 has a resale value of $20,000-$21,000, and your FJC has an aftermarket ARB bumper added, which sells for about $1200.

2007 Black Cherry (purchased May 2006)
BFG AT 285/70/17
Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks
Daystar 1.5" Spacers
Pioneer AVIC-D2
Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth

Previous Vehicles:
1987 Toyota SR5 Truck
1996 FJ80 LandCruiser
2000 4Runner
2001 FJ100 LandCruiser
#7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to The_B.O.W.

To bad the dealer thinks the ARB is a Warn...

2007 Silver FJ Cruiser
Blackedout
Toytec Adjustable w/ LR UCA (f) OME Med (r) - 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Custom High Performance Muffler: BAmufflers.com

"Because 
of 
hatred / Opportunity 
wasted" ~ NaS
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." ~ Mark Twain
#8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.FJT

You can get a new or used 4x4 FJ at that price dude. That lift is out dated. Buying the 4x2 FJ is like buying a boat that does not float.

FJ with Crawler Edition Off-road I am still trying not to pee my pants laughing. No such animal ever made by Toyota.

Last edited by Mr.FJT; 09-06-2010 at 11:20 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Forum Veteran

Lifetime Supporting Member

Ok first thing's first.....I WANT THAT FJ CRAWLER BADGE....can you get me some info to me so that I can get one please?

Here's the thing: I worked for Toyota for years and what I found out a lot is that people would always say the same thing: I don't or won't use 4x4 a lot so I don't need it. My thing is that in case you're with someone that needs your help getting out, then you're more capable of doing it with 4wd. Having that will not only give you a better piece of mind, but will give you added security. I have seen 4x2's do a lot.....but not nearly as much as a 4wd. Go for the 4wd man....I promise you that you won't be sorry. Even if you only use it once or twice, then you'll be happy to know that having 4wd will add resale value to your ride later on down the road if you were ever going to get out of it. If I had a dollar for everyone who told me that they wish that they had gotten 4wd. Sure you don't think you'd use it.....well, obviously cause you ain't got it. When you've got it, you've just expanded your horizons and new doors and places will open up to you. With a 4x2, you'll be in the same routine and never really get the chance to go off and wander onto that other trail or go further down the road cause you're unsure about your vehicle's capabilities. Get out there bro! Throw it down into 4H and explore.

Again, please PM me about those badges. I gotta have em!

www.RGVCA.org
www.treadlightly.org
www.wheeltoberfest.com
TLCA#20444
#10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

as stated, priced too high for a 4x2

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.