Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

4x2 2008 FJ

8K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  rcbaughn 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 FJ sand storm, it is 2wd and I want to look into a 4wd conversion kit. I am new to the FJ world and I need help and opinions I want to lift it 3 inches and run 33's. How much would a conversions kit from two to four wheel drive cost? And what is a good 3 inch lift? Is pro comp any good?

#5 ·
Can I ask why you went with the 2WD if you knew you wanted an off road vehicle? 2WD is capable in the right hands but as the others have stated, it's simply not worth the expense when you could buy a 4x4.

#6 ·
I have a 2008 FJ sand storm, it is 2wd and I want to look into a 4wd conversion kit.
There is no conversion kit for this. Besides the mechanical components to make the 4x4 function, the interior/trim components (transfer case lever), there's also the car's computer that would need to be reprogrammed. You'd be taking one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, giving it a heart transplant and then worrying whether or not it was going to have a heart attack.

Sell your truck and buy a 4x4 version. Don't waste any more of your time evaluating this topic. I hope this wasn't a recent purchase, because the sad fact is that you never should have bought a 4x2 in the first place.

#7 ·
There are some good write-up threads on the Forum if you do a good search (I think I used the term "conversion" and found a few good ones).

As a fellow 4x2 owner (bought it for wife when living in TX, now where in MT and the FJ is mine), I did some research on updating to a 4x4, even calling some shops. And, like the earlier posters stated, best to trade it in on a 4x4 if you really need to have it.

One of the main issues has to do with the rear length of the engine, so you just can't bolt on the 4x4 parts.

Too bad, because there's a bunch of people on the forum that turned their 4x4's into a 2x4 Prerunner, so there's plenty of parts out there.

As for our 4x2, it does just great offroad and in bad weather (has rear lockers, lift, great tires, and a winch just for insurance). The only thing I wish I had was a low gear...

#8 ·
The only way I can see turning a 2WD into a 4WD is if you planned on going with an extreme solid axle conversion and never planned on using the transmission or any of the front suspension. Money could be saved in a project like that by going 2WD.

I also have a 2008 2WD Sandstorm. I love it and it has gotten me thru a very heavy snowstorm here in Alabama like a champ.

As others have said, your best bet is to trade in on a 4WD. Not much chance of turning a 2WD into 4WD without a plethora of headaches, issues and possible reliability problems.

#9 ·
I don't even know why the make a 2 wheel drive. Its pointless

#10 ·
Is that a serious comment? Where I travel, there isn't much need of 4WD. I mainly purchased the vehicle to drive back and forth to college and to be able to piddle around our land a bit and maybe ride a trail from time to time.

The fuel mileage savings was another thing. I see no reason to lose 2 MPG for something I will quite possibly never use. I understand that when 4WD is needed there is nothing to replace it, but if I am ever in that situation I'll drive my early Bronco and crush even the FJ's on the road.

Not everyone requires 4WD and aren't using the vehicle for an off roader. There isn't many vehicle that have the unique look of the FJ, and that was another one of the top reasons I chose it. It fits me per say. I've never had a vehicle that overtime I drive it I smile.

Reactions: Basil
#14 ·
I guess it would be good for rally racing in the desert.

#17 · (Edited)
The Toytec/OME lift combo is the way to go on a 2WD. I have it and I love it.

EDIT: And there is nothing that looks like an FJ and nothing comparable. Most people will never use the 4WD and I am one of those people, and while the gas mileage isn't the best even on a 2WD the gain was significant enough to get it for my purposes. I drive a lot and 3 more MPG adds up over time no doubt. I average 20 MPG when I take the interstate to school a lot, 19 is the norm though.

And yes opinions are like that, and I even have mine and I guess it doesn't matter much either. Just figure I'd throw out mine in defense of the 2WD version. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.