4x2 Discussion This area is for discussion about the 4x2 equipped FJ Cruisers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ARB bumper on 4X2

My wife got an FJ 4X2 2 weeks ago and had a minor accident when another car ran a stop sign and she hit other vehicle in side. Progressive Insurance is repairing FJ so thought about upgrading front bumper to an ARB w/o winch. FJ had factory Toyota grille guard which shoved back into hood which jammed fender back. Frame is ok and drives good, just cosmetic damages. Not sure yet, but Shop estimates that leaving factory parts off repairs and ARB will be similar in cost and will install ARB while making repairs.

How much will ARB make front sag ? I had thought about leveling front w/spacer lift before accident and curious to what will be needed to level w/ARB bumper ?

We have lot of deer in the area and would like some front end protection to save myself some repairs if it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to WESBC
Re: ARB bumper on 4X2

I have an ARB on my 4x2 and it sagged a lot for a day until I put the OME 883 springs in. The 4x2 front springs seem to have a lower load rating than the 4x4, so it makes sense that the ARB's weight will affect the 4x2 more.

The 883 springs with the ARB lifted the front end about 1/2" higher than the rear. I used the stock shocks too, although I should have upgraded them, I was tight on money. Had this set up for almost a year with no problems at all.

I would recommend the OME 883 coils over the spacer, or if you got the money, upgrade to a complete suspension kit.

Think of it this way, 4x2 weighs about 200lbs less than the 4x4 in the front because of no transfer case. So if you add the 160lbs ARB bumper in the front, it kind of has a similar weight up front to a stock 4x4.

Sorry to hear about the accident, but would you mind sharing pics of the damage. I would like to see how much more damage the brush guard caused.

Last edited by WESBC; 05-20-2008 at 01:34 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I would go with the 883 coils as well. Since the bumper weighs as much as it does and the 883 are the light spring in the OME lineup, I think you would almost be okay to run the stock shocks.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
KellySue previously said: View Post
My wife got an FJ 4X2 2 weeks ago and had a minor accident when another car ran a stop sign and she hit other vehicle in side. Progressive Insurance is repairing FJ so thought about upgrading front bumper to an ARB w/o winch. FJ had factory Toyota grille guard which shoved back into hood which jammed fender back. Frame is ok and drives good, just cosmetic damages. Not sure yet, but Shop estimates that leaving factory parts off repairs and ARB will be similar in cost and will install ARB while making repairs.

How much will ARB make front sag ? I had thought about leveling front w/spacer lift before accident and curious to what will be needed to level w/ARB bumper ?

We have lot of deer in the area and would like some front end protection to save myself some repairs if it happens.
]Go with a ARB and the proper springs.Now ur wife will be able to go through a wall.

Demello Bumper*OME Heavies*3" Skyjacker rear*Stock Steelies*Nittos Terras 295/70/17*Gobi Ladder*Cobra CB*AP Rock Sliders*AP LCA's*Black Bezel*Real Wheels Light Bar*K&N Filter*Choped Body Mounts*Parrot Blue Tooth*Eliminated rear Sway Bar.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:37 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info. I may put the ARB on and then see how much I want to raise it. I may do a spacer lift to keep the soft 4X2 springs since this will be a on-road FJ.

I will try to post some pics and just got call from Progressive and repairs will be over $5200. Of course the plastic bumper is bad, but the upright on grille guard on driver side took direct shot and went back into the grille support which kinked hood some and forced driver side fender back just enough where door won't open. There would have been damage if didn't have grille guard but may have only been more local to grill/headlight area and may not have gotten fender. Oh well, many different ways to look at it but I don't doubt that if I had ARB then I wouldn't have all the body damage and since somebody else is paying for then might as well do the ARB.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to WESBC

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I may put the ARB on and then see how much I want to raise it. I may do a spacer lift to keep the soft 4X2 springs since this will be a on-road FJ.

I will try to post some pics and just got call from Progressive and repairs will be over $5200. Of course the plastic bumper is bad, but the upright on grille guard on driver side took direct shot and went back into the grille support which kinked hood some and forced driver side fender back just enough where door won't open. There would have been damage if didn't have grille guard but may have only been more local to grill/headlight area and may not have gotten fender. Oh well, many different ways to look at it but I don't doubt that if I had ARB then I wouldn't have all the body damage and since somebody else is paying for then might as well do the ARB.

There was quite a bit of nose dive when my ARB was one with the stock springs. I don't know if spacers will solve the problem, but my 883's sure did. I got my springs from Doug at Toytec for about $150 shipped IIRC.

The damage seems typical having a brush/grill guard. Thats why as soon as I found out, I took the one of my dad's 80 series (with his knowledge of course).
#7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
That is why those "brush guards" are very commonly referred to as damage multipliers. In the even of an accident or hitting something lightly offroad, they typically bend back and do more damage than if you had nothing on the front.

The ARB is SOLID. I have had three people standing on it before, did not budge a mm. Even though it seems you want to shy away from the new springs, i would seriously consider them over the spacers. Spacers (that go between the spring and the top plate) will cost about the same to have installed and are almost the same price to buy. But are SOOO much better.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

You might try to get a set of OEM 4x4 front coils/shocks that someone has replaced. They should be readily available and provide the factory ride quality. If you can find someone with an ASSEMBLED set, the install will be very easy. Just make sure to identify the right and left side assemblies, they are probably different.

Shawn
#9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 AM

(Thread Starter)

Talked to the shop and putting ARB on is similar in cost as to replace stock front end parts so going with the ARB. After I get FJ back I will look at options to raise frontend. I like doing all my own work, but glad I don't have to install ARB myself.

Thanks for all the info. I am new to the FJ and glad I found this board.

Progressive insurance has been very good to deal with on this and wife will have to make a few trips to the chiropractor and Progressive has set up direct billing, etc..
#10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

I'm very glad to hear Progressive is taking care of you and your FJ.

Now get a nice 3" lift, if not just the 4X4 spring/strut swap. Many members here just give away their stock 4X4 stuff, so it's just the install that will cost if you don't do it yourself.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.