Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Any regrets on going 4X2?

I am seriously considering going the 4X2 route myself. I don't plan much, if any, rough trailing so I really feel the 4X2 will serve my needs just fine. Did you have trouble finding one?

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Any regrets on going 4X2?

Go 4x4, you won't regret it. I made the 4x2 mistake when I bought my 4runner and regretted from the beginning. Wasn't going to make the same misktake with the FJ- the way I see it, its better to have something and not use it, then need somthing and not have it. Its the old boyscout in me-always be prepared. Just my .02 cents

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Quote:
The late, great Colonel Jeff Cooper postulated four cardinal rules of gun safety. 1) All guns are always loaded, and treated as such. 2) Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not prepared to see destroyed. 3) Do not let your finger enter the trigger guard unless and until you are in the very act of intentionally firing the weapon. 4) Be certain of your target.

Last edited by Biff...; 06-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
UKHOOPZ previously said: View Post
I am seriously considering going the 4X2 route myself. I don't plan much, if any, rough trailing so I really feel the 4X2 will serve my needs just fine. Did you have trouble finding one?

Opinions?
I never understood why anyone would buy a 4x2 FJ.. besides it being a money thing...I know there are alot of 4x2 owners in here that are going to be pee'd off at me but I'm just givin you my thoughts. It's like buying a mustang with a v6....... a pizza without pep......they shouldn't even sell 4x2 fj's...sorry in advance to the 4x2 owners...this is just how I feel....please don't kill me

Titanium Metallic - 4x4 - AT "C" package (canada)
GoodYear Duratracs
Active Traction Control System , Rear diff lock
400 Watt / 115 Volt Power Outlet
Roof racks
Sirius Radio/Ipod
Garmin 60cx/nuvi 260
#4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Forum Veteran

I'll say one thing about this, and then I will shut up. I have a friend who bought a truck at the same time as me (not an FJ). We both bought the same year, paid about the same (he paid slightly less), and had the same mileage.

When it was time to move on, he got about half out of his 4x2 of what I got out of my 4x4.

Sure he paid less upfront, and his gas costs were less because the 4x2 got better mileage. The problem was that his resale sucked, because the majority of truck purchasers are looking for 4x4's.

If you never plan on selling it, then I guess it negates the resale argument. However... you could probably pick up a lightly used one for way less than new, because there is somebody out there who bought a 4x2 and wants out of it. It could be a really good opportunity for you to get a screaming deal.

Good-bye Dad. I love you! Thanks for being such a wonderful father.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Northern_Cruiser previously said: View Post
I never understood why anyone would buy a 4x2 FJ.. besides it being a money thing...I know there are alot of 4x2 owners in here that are going to be pee'd off at me but I'm just givin you my thoughts. It's like buying a mustang with a v6....... a pizza without pep......they shouldn't even sell 4x2 fj's...sorry in advance to the 4x2 owners...this is just how I feel....please don't kill me
It's okay buddy, just don't go to sleep tonight.

Quote:
BamBam previously said: View Post
I'll say one thing about this, and then I will shut up. I have a friend who bought a truck at the same time as me (not an FJ). We both bought the same year, paid about the same (he paid slightly less), and had the same mileage.

When it was time to move on, he got about half out of his 4x2 of what I got out of my 4x4.

Sure he paid less upfront, and his gas costs were less because the 4x2 got better mileage. The problem was that his resale sucked, because the majority of truck purchasers are looking for 4x4's.

If you never plan on selling it, then I guess it negates the resale argument. However... you could probably pick up a lightly used one for way less than new, because there is somebody out there who bought a 4x2 and wants out of it. It could be a really good opportunity for you to get a screaming deal.
I think the only difference in resale will be the difference in cost of the vehicle. If you go to any toyota dealership's website and check out their inventory, they have a ton of 4x2's, so there must be demand for them! At least down here in Texas!

The bottom line is that you have to ask yourself what you'll be doing with the truck. Yes, I wish I had gotten a 4x4, but I got a fantastic deal on mine, which is really the only was the FJ was going to fit in my budget. I've got the locker, so for mild trails, you'll be fine. Just don't expect to be able to rock crawl with all the other 4x4's. It also means you may have to work harder to get through the same obstacles because you're pushing yourself from the rear wheels. Wrigman and FJVP are both great examples of 4x2's that hang with the 4x4's for the vast majority of the time. Do I sometimes wish I had a 4x4? Yes. Do I regret my purchase? Absolutely not! Good luck!

Landy

Support these fine vendors!
TRDParts4U
Demello Offroad
Ricochet
Icon Vehicle Dynamics
#6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Rock the 4x2! if you aren't going to go running every weekend or go buck wild you really don't need the 4x4 there are many people with great 4x2's on here that can make it in some rough stuff. where are the 4x2's tell them why you like the 4x2...
#7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
TinCan previously said: View Post
Rock the 4x2! if you aren't going to go running every weekend or go buck wild you really don't need the 4x4 there are many people with great 4x2's on here that can make it in some rough stuff. where are the 4x2's tell them why you like the 4x2...
That's exactly what I was tryin' to say!

Landy

Support these fine vendors!
TRDParts4U
Demello Offroad
Ricochet
Icon Vehicle Dynamics
#8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Forum Master

I don't regret my 4x2 purchase. I purchased mine and found this forum. I read and learned about different mods and trail runs. I decided to attend a SoCal Meet and Greet and I was hooked. At the time I thought I should have bought a 4x4. After talking to some of the other "Pre Runner" owners, I caught the mod fever and have been happy with my 4x2 ever since. I get a few comments here on the forums but to me it's like a sibling teasing...no big deal. At the end of the day it's an FJ. Remember that the 4x2 FJ is a very capable off road vehicle. Just ask FJVP, Wrigman, Acetechno, FJDave and others on the 4x2 section.

1997 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser Collectors Edition Night Shadow Blue Pearl

SOLD FJ and Mods 2007 Silver Ti FJC, AT, Pre-Runner SOLD FJ and Mods
#9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned

I've done some pretty fun stuff in my 4X2, more than a lot of the 4X4 guys said I could. However, not nearly as much fun stuff as Wrigman in his 4X2...that rig is a MONSTER!

The 4X4 guys are always going to tell you that 4X2's suck. Us 4X2 guys are going to tell you the truth about the 4X2. But at the end of the day, we all wheel together, and everyone is impressed with us 4X2 guys.

Get what you want! Mine is a 4X4 without the transfer case or front wheel pull. I also have less maintenance costs, less weight, and better mileage. So there, 4X4 boyz!
#10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Kajun Kim

Quote:
TinCan previously said: View Post
Thanks Brad!!! I am here Buddy! My 4x2 is one bad bad boy. I get folks that just jaw drop when they see my fella. My jaw drops when he drags me outa bad stuff!!!!

A 4x2 can be a really fine ride. It is all about how you modify it! Mine sure thinks that he has his superman cape on!

OH yeah, I drove mine down to Grand Isle yesterday. That is WAY down on the coast of LA. I figured my gas mileage, 19.1 mpg. That was a mixed bag of tricks on a 3" lift and 33" tires. Some highway but mainly small town miles. That is definitely a PLUS on a 4x2!

Kim

Pura Vida!!! Costa Rican for"Pure Life" live every minute of it!

The Cherry Garcia!!! '07 BC !! TLCA Member 18935

"Breathe in Breathe out, move on!!! Jimmy Buffet

Island bound, Trust ME!!!!

Last edited by neworleansparrothead; 06-10-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: more stuff!
Closed Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.