Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Baja/Light Tube Bumper Build

35K views 97 replies 21 participants last post by  surfkid 
#1 ·
I know not everyone likes the look of tube bumpers and I know some question their functionality but I like the way they look and Ive wanted one for my FJ for awhile.

so heres the deal, my friend has a shop with many fab tools...among those tools are a tube bender, pipe notcher, mig welder, and chop saw...all the stuff I need to build a tube bumper. Im fairly mechanical and creative but I havent done a ton of metal fab, luckily my friend has. Im designing the bumper and together we are both fabbing it up over the next week or 2 depending on how much OT we have to do at work.

where my FJ stands right now; inner wheel well fenders are chopped, plastic bumper facade and metal subframe are removed...all is ready for fab.

Fabrication will start monday after work and I will take pictures during the whole process to show our progress for anyone who cares. Im not giving away all the details but its gonna be unique and will stand out from the croud (no raw metal finish, no aluminum skid). If all goes well that is:)

pictures to come soon! hoping it will be ready for Anza on the 24th

#48 ·
Re: PreRunner/Tube Bumper Build

NCFj is going to be a supporting vendor. His stuff is in the works.

Thanks!!

#55 · (Edited)

Uh... Yeah... I'm making a tube bumper too. What's the difference between a pre-runner bumper and an "offroad" bumper that are both made of steel tubing? I've never seen a formal definition that separates categories of bumpers made from steel tubing. Could someone enlighten us?

No matter, I really like the bumper the tube bumper that OP made and self-built mods in general. Good work!

#56 ·

There is no such distinction... and whoever coined it probably didn't do so with the greatest of attitudes.

My tube bumper is 50lbs. and it has held up to a lot. There are quite a few obstacles here in AZ that can only be cleared in an FJ by literally smashing the front end into a pile of rocks to skip it over... this has never been a problem. I have done this with the bottom tubes and the long top tube.

The only thing that I'll give to a bumper like an ARB that I can't say for mine is something insane like hitting an animal. There is good evidence to suggest such a bumper would fair better than my tube deal, but come on... :lol:

#60 ·

I'd agree pretty much with 5150, though... if you just said "offroad bumper" to somebody, they'd probably think of a plate bumper. That's not to say that a tube bumper is not a bumper for any kind of offroad use, though.

Likewise if you said 'prerunner bumper' to somebody they'd probably think of a tube unit.

But, not a common distinction as far as I'm aware.

#63 · (Edited)

Hey guys. Sorry if I confused the issue. I have a PreRunner and I am getting a tube bumper. I got mine from NCFJ and was really excited. He is a fine fine fellow and I think probably trying to protect me a bit as I was really an innocent in this.

I don't claim to know everything here guys and I was not trying to hijack the thread just really add that the tube bumpers are mighty fine. I am really proud of you folks for building your own.

I have alot of talents but welding is not one of them. Although, I would LOVE to learn how!!! Great job and sorry for putting confusion into the thread!:mecry:

#65 · (Edited)

I appologize for the confusion I created. The distinction, at least in my mind is that a pre runner bumper is generally lighter, made of thinner walled tubing and not capable of supporting a winch with either a winch plate or a 2" receiver. An off road style tube bumper is capable of supporting a winch and is generally constructed with thicker walled tubing. So basically a pre runner style bumper on steroids, more structure etc. See photos below.

I was in no way trying to put down the OP's bumper, I am actually quite fond of it and it looks very well built.

#72 ·

I appologize for the confusion I created. The distinction, at least in my mind is that a pre runner bumper is generally lighter, made of thinner walled tubing and not capable of supporting a winch with either a winch plate or a 2" receiver. An off road style tube bumper is capable of supporting a winch and is generally constructed with thicker walled tubing. So basically a pre runner style bumper on steroids, more structure etc. See photos below.

I was in no way trying to put down the OP's bumper, I am actually quite fond of it and it looks very well built.

like I said, no hard feelings...Im glad others are posting their bumpers on here also. I understand what you were trying to say about your bumper and I think that some of us misinterpreted a few things.

otherwise all is well

#66 ·

Just let me know if that is the concensus I will take care of it. Again thanks for understanding.

#69 ·

Yeah darned moderators. This one has a memory like an elephant and a heart of gold.

#80 ·
We used to love to go to a little Pub over by the base. I think it was McPete's or something close to that. Do you guys know that one?

#81 ·
yes, I have been there a few times before but I also forget the exact name...I think it might just be Mc P's but im not too sure. there are a bunch of good places to eat on the island which makes lunch breaks great. Miguels and village pizza are also good.

i just got done bike riding and read this so now im hungry.

#82 ·
heres a photo from anza borrego about a month ago. I painted the bumper black and put on a thick steel skid plate.

#84 ·
you get yours on yet? looks like you did in the signature pic.

#85 ·
bumper looks fantastic man, mates up to that demello skid perfect, very nice craftmanship!

#87 ·
thanks, thats what we were goin for. I wanted to make it mate up well and be easily removed if needed. definetly has a good approach angle and doesnt look like a plow.

Look nice and solid
thanks again, it is pretty solid from what I can tell but I havent really hit it on anything yet. looking at other bumpers it appears mine mounts very similar to the manufactured ones. the problem with the FJ is that its fairly big and the stock bumper mounts are low.

#86 ·
Look nice and solid

#88 ·
rider77, nice job on the bumper it came out very well. Any color pics of the finished product? Also a side shoot would be cool. :)

I know I'm late on the discussion but I thought I would put my two cents in any way. A prerunner bumper is a minimalistic approach to bumpers to give you the protection you need but with as little weight as possible and while also giving you the best approach angle you can get. Different tools/products for diffrent types of wheeling, they all work but some are better for different types of terrain and wheeling styles. Also they are normally referred to as prerunner bumpers or tube bumpers.

#89 ·
ya, I gotta take some more pics...the reason its bw is cuz i hadnt painted it yet and it was rust colored. looked real nasty. the approach angle is a tiny bit steeper than the demello skid. ill try to get some better pics today in color, gotta hurry cuz the sun is going down!

thanks for the comments

#90 · (Edited)
here are some crappy photos I took tonight...:rawr:

#91 ·
now I need long travel...neeeeddddd!!! but first I need money.

#93 ·
thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

#95 ·
again...thank you, im very happy with it.

#96 ·
Great looking bumper! I'm about to embark on my first fabrication project with the help of a friend (and his dad's metal shop). I want to replicate the 2007 Millenworks Taupo 1000 FJ bumper/skid plate combo. It's super minimalist and sharp. I don't rock crawl and I'm not concerned about having a big panel bumper or winch system.

So, I'm very curious to know how those 7" Custom Accessories HIDs are holding up after all your (ab)use lol? The price point is right but I'm worried about their quality control; a friend ordered two and one had a bad ballast. I appreciate your input on that versus a more traditional light.

#97 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

As for the lights go, they are great! I have not heard of anyone having major issues. The only issue I have had is the bolt which secures the lights coming loose. This can be fixed by replacing them wityh nylocks. They are very bright. When I turn on my roof mounted KC daylighters and silverstar ultra headlights I see really no difference, the HIDs just over power everything. Do a search on the forum for Kragen HID and you will see a large number of people who love them too. you cant go wrong for $100 each. Im thinking of getting another set for the roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.