LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4x2 VSC Cancel Switch

there are a lot of different ways out there to cancel VSC on the FJ but the only one ive really seen that works for the 4x2 is removing (or splicing a switch) the plug on the brake master cylinder. I dont like the fact that you have to restart the vehicle after this mod to clear the christmas tree. im looking for a VSC cancel mod for the 4x2 that does the following.

1. cancels VSC
2. cancels ABS (ABS is sometimes dangerous offroad)
3. engine doesnt have to be cycled on/off to get rid of christmas tree after fun time

has anyone come up with a successful VSC/ABS cancel for the 4x2 or can someone give me some advice on this? ive looked through the forum and I cant find anything 4x2 specific. the other mods require cutting of 4x4 specific wires.

thanks, ill post something up if i figure this out before someone else does.

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to WESBC
Re: 4x2 VSC Cancel Switch

Do you have rear locker? Activating it should do the trick.

What are the benefits of canceling the VSC ?
#3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Tubig previously said: View Post
Do you have rear locker? Activating it should do the trick.

What are the benefits of canceling the VSC ?
I dont have a locker.

for me the benefits are being able to get sideways in dirt and sand without my car hitting the brakes on its own to control by side slip. this gets especially annoying on sand. also being able to power through sand with out TRAC kicking in.

this mod needs to be developed at some point because if one were to install an air locker there would be no good way to get the same computer cancellations as the e-locker.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
#4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to WESBC

IIRC there was a guy from Puerto Rico that got an ARB air locker installed in his 4x2, you might want to ask him.

Found it: his forum sn is "Jet Cat"
#5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Tubig previously said: View Post
IIRC there was a guy from Puerto Rico that got an ARB air locker installed in his 4x2, you might want to ask him.

Found it: his forum sn is "Jet Cat"
ya, I remember that..thought he said he never got the problem solved. ill PM him.

also...unplugging the driver side front wheel ABS sensor wire, plug located near INBD side of fuse box, I get VSC, TRAC, ABS, and car swerving lights. I havent been able to go test this yet but I did drive the car around without any problems, just couldnt lock up the wheels or burn out in the area I was at without getting into trouble. im still not sure if this will give the same effect or if my ABS is just not gonna work for the front driver side wheel. any ideas?

btw, after plugging the plug back in you have to restart the engine to clear the dash.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

#6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

I also did the "cut blue wire with yellow stripe" mod and it does nothing for the 4x2...kinda obvoius since its a 4x4 specific wire.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

#7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

well removing the plug from the driver side front brake ABS sensor does kill traction control, VSC and ABS. unfortunately you have to restart your vehicle after each use.

also unfortunately...I messed up my car in the process of testing it, mechanically, not electronically and it has nothing to do with this mod. seems as though firestone left something loose the last time they did my alignment. while braking I heard a pop noise and now my steering wheel is way off.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

#8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to jet cat

someone called! Ok lets see, the air locker is completely separate system from your FJ. Actually the FJ does not know its there, so if its activated or not the FJ works the same, VCS, ABS, LSD, NBC, ABC, CBS, just kidding. I have not tried any form of disconnecting or deactivating these functions. Now, on the 09 models they come with the VCS switch off, just need to see if they come factory with the E-locker. So I'm going to wait until someone has the 09 model see how I can mod the FJ.

sorry I have no info on these.

VooDoo blue 4X2, Gobi ladder, Nitto Terra Grappler stock wheels, tail light covers, DVD, K&N filter, factory tow hitch, roof light bar w/ 4 130w KC daylighters, spacer lift kit, All-Pro front winch bumper w/ large light bar, SmittyBilt 8000 lb Winch, ARB rear air locker, Spidertrax spacers, BIGBILL's CB combo, Maplight Kit, ScangaugeII, Wet Okole covers, Kenwood DDX714.

Coming soon: Syntetic Line, BushWacker fender flares.

It's the same but different.

Last edited by jet cat; 11-26-2008 at 08:01 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jet cat previously said: View Post
someone called! Ok lets see, the air locker is completely separate system from your FJ. Actually the FJ does not know its there, so if its activated or not the FJ works the same, VCS, ABS, LSD, NBC, ABC, CBS, just kidding. I have not tried any form of disconnecting or deactivating these functions. Now, on the 09 models they come with the VCS switch off, just need to see if they come factory with the E-locker. So I'm going to wait until someone has the 09 model see how I can mod the FJ.

sorry I have no info on these.
the cancel switch for the 2009 doesnt exactly work for our application. you will need to rewire the switch from what ive seen...incorporating one of the previously mentioned VSC cancel mods on this forum.

so if you dont have this mod how does the locker give you any benefit? if you turn with the locker on does the car freek out?

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

#10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to jet cat

Quote:
rider77 previously said: View Post
the cancel switch for the 2009 doesnt exactly work for our application. you will need to rewire the switch from what ive seen...incorporating one of the previously mentioned VSC cancel mods on this forum.

so if you dont have this mod how does the locker give you any benefit? if you turn with the locker on does the car freek out?
yes the car freaks out in the sense that it wants to slide.

the air locker benefit comes when both wheels turn, with no locker it works like every other car, your stuck in the sand or mud, one wheel turn the other does nothing, like in the movie " My cousin Vinny".

Actually, I have been places only 4X4's have been. the only thing is don't go in deep mud or go rock crawling.

Now, if you have the locker on and you're going other than trail speeds, since the wheels are both turning at the same ratio, the truck will want to slide. Thats when the light with the little truck slipping will come on, making the VCS turn on.

Thats when you accelerate and nothing happens.

If you turn off the LSD (making the lights turn on in red in your dash) you get extra RPM to get you out of any jam.

Thats how I've been doing it and it works for me.

If what you want is to drift, do the mod with the VCS. if you want the locker to get you out of trouble get the air locker, you cant go wrong with it.

VooDoo blue 4X2, Gobi ladder, Nitto Terra Grappler stock wheels, tail light covers, DVD, K&N filter, factory tow hitch, roof light bar w/ 4 130w KC daylighters, spacer lift kit, All-Pro front winch bumper w/ large light bar, SmittyBilt 8000 lb Winch, ARB rear air locker, Spidertrax spacers, BIGBILL's CB combo, Maplight Kit, ScangaugeII, Wet Okole covers, Kenwood DDX714.

Coming soon: Syntetic Line, BushWacker fender flares.

It's the same but different.

Last edited by jet cat; 11-26-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.