LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2wd fj on beach

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2wd 2008 FJ with rear diff. lock. I am wanting to drive along the beach for fishing and surfing. I was wondering if this could be done with my 2wd if I air down the tires? Please advise. I am not looking to do and majoring offroading at all, but would like to be able to drive on the beach.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to jet cat
Re: 2wd fj on beach

First of all welcome, its all about the tires dude! depending on how deep or loose the sand is, air down won't do much. The right combination of tires like Nitto's dune grapplers or any A/T will work great on sand.

VooDoo blue 4X2, Gobi ladder, Nitto Terra Grappler stock wheels, tail light covers, DVD, K&N filter, factory tow hitch, roof light bar w/ 4 130w KC daylighters, spacer lift kit, All-Pro front winch bumper w/ large light bar, SmittyBilt 8000 lb Winch, ARB rear air locker, Spidertrax spacers, BIGBILL's CB combo, Maplight Kit, ScangaugeII, Wet Okole covers, Kenwood DDX714.

Coming soon: Syntetic Line, BushWacker fender flares.

It's the same but different.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Forum Regular

Tires will make all the difference. How loose the sand is will be the determining factor. Also, 4WD will make it much easier to turn - don't expect to turn extremely well. Also, don't forget to bring a shovel.

I took my truck on the beach this past summer. I friend was bragging how his 4Runner did so well in 2WD, so I decided to try 2WD with the rear locked on what seemingly hard packed sand - my rear dug down in about 3 revolutions.

2007 VooDoo Blue / 5AT / 4WD
Rear Diff Hack (Works in 2HI & 4HI) / Rear Diff + ATrac Hack
Rough Country 3" Lift
KU4IY (Yaesu FT-7800)
#4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Like others have said its really depends on how deep the sand is. From what the 2WD guys here have told me, you can't turn off traction control. So if sand gets too deep, your not going to be able to get the tires spinning to keep you going. Your just going to bog down and get stuck, regarless of whether you have the rear end locked or not.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Forum Veteran

you can definitely do it but its all about the condition of the sand and how much you sink in.

the best way i have found is to use your locker and pay close attention to your throttle control and try to keep wheel spin to a minimum.

If you get to a point where you can feel the rear end sitting lower than the front and you have to keep up your wheel spin in order to keep moving, you're already in trouble, don't stop for anything and start looking for something harder packed.

edit: this is stock tires advice.

Quote:
5150 Cruiser previously said: View Post
Like others have said its really depends on how deep the sand is. From what the 2WD guys here have told me, you can't turn off traction control. So if sand gets too deep, your not going to be able to get the tires spinning to keep you going. Your just going to bog down and get stuck, regarless of whether you have the rear end locked or not.
when you lock the rear end, all traction control turns off, see sig for details LOL.

Lifting does not remove the body mount from the path the tire takes through the wheel well. Lifting does not move that path around the body mount. Lifting only sets the starting point of that path partially below the body mount giving the illusion of clearance. Only alignment and body mount chop can increase tire clearance between the body mount and tire.

07'-10' Titanium Silver 2007 5at 4x2 - Trade-in
10'-14' Silver Fresco 2010 6mt 4x4 - Build Thread -Trade-in
Black 2005 G35 6mt

Last edited by jtmroczk; 01-19-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: this is stock tires advice.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Forum Superstar

So I got 2wd with mud tires. I have done the beach sand over by my office. I can come to a stop and start again no problem. I drive with all traction control off and no rear dif eventhough I got one. I will do burn outs near the water and not and I seem to do just fine. And I don't air down. Like others said it is all about tires and mometum. If your running stock tires stay the hell off the sand. You are asking to get stuck for sure. Good luck

Support Demello. Shop Demello. Support Baja Racks. Shop Baja Racks. Support Ricochet. Shop Ricochet. Support Dirty Parts. Shop Dirty Parts. Support FJoel. Shop FJoel. Support Camburg. Shop Camburg. Support Total Chaos. Shop Total Chaos. Support All pro. Shop All pro. Support Icon. Shop Icon. Support King. Shop King.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to WESBC

Quote:
AceTechno previously said: View Post
If your running stock tires stay the hell off the sand. You are asking to get stuck for sure. Good luck

I thought it was all about "floating" on top of sand rather than digging in? Hence people using tires with a less aggressive tread.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Forum Superstar

From the old days of riding dirt bikes. I use to put street tires on and it did not do so great in the dirt or sand. That with some fj time in the sand is my only experiences. Cya

Support Demello. Shop Demello. Support Baja Racks. Shop Baja Racks. Support Ricochet. Shop Ricochet. Support Dirty Parts. Shop Dirty Parts. Support FJoel. Shop FJoel. Support Camburg. Shop Camburg. Support Total Chaos. Shop Total Chaos. Support All pro. Shop All pro. Support Icon. Shop Icon. Support King. Shop King.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to WESBC

Quote:
AceTechno previously said: View Post
From the old days of riding dirt bikes. I use to put street tires on and it did not do so great in the dirt or sand. That with some fj time in the sand is my only experiences. Cya
Oh I was just wondering, never drove on beach sand before.

Where are you able to drive on the beach in Huntington btw? I go there every so often and would like to try some beach driving.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Tubig previously said: View Post
Oh I was just wondering, never drove on beach sand before.

Where are you able to drive on the beach in Huntington btw? I go there every so often and would like to try some beach driving.
it's not in huntington but in long beach in the Belmont shore area. It's one of theos get in do a few jumps burn outs and then get out of there deals. Since homes are right there and a lifeguard tower. I have seen a few jeeps and rangers in there doing it but the sand is soft.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.