LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
E-Locker Harness Pre-Installed ?

So I know I've read something about this before but can't find anything. I've got a 2wd and only an LSD. I remember someone saying they pulled the caps off of their switch board under the stereo and found wires with connectors attached to them.
I'm sure I would have figured out if I really had an Elocker right now, at least I would hope, but does the harness already come installed as a future proof method ?

Any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: E-Locker Harness Pre-Installed ?

If you got the FJ without an E-locker there will not be a harness for it. There is a seperate Ecu attached to the regular one for the function. I added an E-locker and used a wire harness ($100) thet bypasses the ecu altogether and runs straight to the rear diff. The e-locker ecu runs close to 1k. PM me if you need any details or help.

14' 4Runner Trail Edition
08' FJ R.I.P.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:58 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks. But I'm still confused about the extra wiring harness that is already installed in my switch board. If I did have a locker I would be able to see it sticking out from my rear differential right ? Or would I have to unscrew the rear dif. panel in order to see it ?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, you can see the e-locker from under the rig.

If you did not get it with the factory e-locker, it won't have the necessary wiring/cpu to simply add one. It is possible to install a factory e-locker and wire a switch to engage it independently. Even if there is a plug behind the switch panel won't mean that the rest of the wiring is in place. It is likely that there is a plug behind the switch panel.

There are numerous threads on this topic and with a quick search, you'd find this answer many times over...

See me on ih8mud...
'07 GSJ15, well enhanced SOLD
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Olde North State Cruisers TLCA delegate
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF
#5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Forum Veteran

I tried this on mine, not to see if I had a locker but to see if the switch would still turn off my ABS and VSC like the locker does. the plug is there but im pretty sure the rest of the harness is missing and the ecu is different. the switch wont do anything for you and you dont have a locker or harness for one.

arb air locker is about 1k...I havent had a need for a locker yet, only been stuck twice and believe it or not but every trail ive been on with 4x4s they can never tell im the 4x2.

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
#6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to jet cat

I'm going to save you some time and a headache, if your Fj did not come with an e-locker from the factory you just don't have one. yes there is a plug in the back of the switch panel but the wiring only goes so far. This way during assembly @ Toyota they decide what Fj gets the e-locker by just bolting on the differential and a control box, depending on the stock or demand the get.

So unless you have a differential with an e-locker sitting in your garage with all the harness necessary just save your self the headache.

If you want a rear diff locker get the ARB. I have it, it's maintenance free it runs with a compressor or air tank.

VooDoo blue 4X2, Gobi ladder, Nitto Terra Grappler stock wheels, tail light covers, DVD, K&N filter, factory tow hitch, roof light bar w/ 4 130w KC daylighters, spacer lift kit, All-Pro front winch bumper w/ large light bar, SmittyBilt 8000 lb Winch, ARB rear air locker, Spidertrax spacers, BIGBILL's CB combo, Maplight Kit, ScangaugeII, Wet Okole covers, Kenwood DDX714.

Coming soon: Syntetic Line, BushWacker fender flares.

It's the same but different.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
jet cat previously said: View Post
I'm going to save you some time and a headache, if your Fj did not come with an e-locker from the factory you just don't have one. yes there is a plug in the back of the switch panel but the wiring only goes so far. This way during assembly @ Toyota they decide what Fj gets the e-locker by just bolting on the differential and a control box, depending on the stock or demand the get.

So unless you have a differential with an e-locker sitting in your garage with all the harness necessary just save your self the headache.

If you want a rear diff locker get the ARB. I have it, it's maintenance free it runs with a compressor or air tank.

did you do the install yourself or did you take it to a shop? id really like to do it myself but have never dealt with a diff gear install. I think If I can rebuild an engine I can do a locker install but im wondering what the price is, if its right it, might be better to pay the price so I dont have to deal with dropping my axel and figure out correct gear meshing.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
#8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to jet cat

Quote:
rider77 previously said: View Post
did you do the install yourself or did you take it to a shop? id really like to do it myself but have never dealt with a diff gear install. I think If I can rebuild an engine I can do a locker install but im wondering what the price is, if its right it, might be better to pay the price so I dont have to deal with dropping my axel and figure out correct gear meshing.

I did the install on all switches, wiring harness and compressor. For the Diff I took it to a shop, they charged me $400.00 parts (diff oil) and labor.

VooDoo blue 4X2, Gobi ladder, Nitto Terra Grappler stock wheels, tail light covers, DVD, K&N filter, factory tow hitch, roof light bar w/ 4 130w KC daylighters, spacer lift kit, All-Pro front winch bumper w/ large light bar, SmittyBilt 8000 lb Winch, ARB rear air locker, Spidertrax spacers, BIGBILL's CB combo, Maplight Kit, ScangaugeII, Wet Okole covers, Kenwood DDX714.

Coming soon: Syntetic Line, BushWacker fender flares.

It's the same but different.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
rider77 previously said: View Post
Diffs are kind of a tricky beast. A lot of offroaders i know that do a lot of their own installs still take their truck to a shop to get gears done. I've installed everything on mine including the supercharger and i would still take it to a shop to have a locker/gears installed.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
layonnn previously said: View Post
Diffs are kind of a tricky beast. A lot of offroaders i know that do a lot of their own installs still take their truck to a shop to get gears done. I've installed everything on mine including the supercharger and i would still take it to a shop to have a locker/gears installed.
ya, I guess if you screw up youd have to pay someone labor in the end anyway. then theres the price new gears and whatever else you break. its just so much more satisfying knowing you did it yourself. oh well. thanks for the advice.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.