Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Problem: Expedition One rear bumper w/2011 + reverse sensors

9K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  F Joy 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had a problem mounting their reverse sensors in the Expedition One rear bumper who has a 2011+ (not sure if this is one of those 2010+ things, mine's a 2011)? My sensors have a sleeve/sheath that they clip into and those sleeves don't seem to fit into the provided hole in the bumper. Before I try to force it in and potentially break it, I was curious what others have done?

Looking at the parts diagram, mine do not have the retaining clip shown (labeled #2). Instead, it's a sleeve that encircles the round part of the sensor:

My sensor mounting bracket, side view (sensor goes into it in direction of red arrow):

Rear view of sleeve/bracket:

See less See more
#2 ·
Granted on a 2008, but if the retainer clips were present on the OEM, I didn't use in the Expo. Just popped them in, but before doing, hopefully someone with the same specific model year will chime in.

I don't think they're cheap.

#11 ·
The hardware isle of Lowes or the Home Depot usually has various hole plugs available... sounds like a 1" should work im guessing?

For example they have "Crown Bolt Nylon 1 in. Locking Hole Plug" for $0.67.

#4 ·
Has anyone with sensor mounting similar to the pics I posted installed them into an Expedition One rear bumper with no trouble?

#7 ·
Have a 2012 and tried installing them with my bumper today, but was unsuccessful. The U-shaped cutout for the backup sensors made it impossible for me to install the ultrasonic sensor. My end results were, one broken retainer and a new bumper installed with two little empty holes. Be advised that 2012 sensors cannot be gently tapped in place using the ball of ones hand or a soft hammer. Any advice on how to accomplish this task would also be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
mine never worked...and if they did id never use em so i just pulled the plugs when i installed my bumper. how ever mine look the same, maybe ill try popping em in to see if i can figure it out.

#8 ·
What is the part number of the sensors.

I added one sensor (89341-33050) on each wing to the sonar system on my 2007. I only drilled a hole using a 1" hole saw (fine teeth).

#9 ·
My friendly Toyota dealership in Roseville, CA has been extremely helpful to me with my projects. My mechanic Ben is great and knows FJ's like the back of his hand!

#15 ·
I would have thought that people would have gone to this option straight away...

#17 ·
Wow I can belive Exp One makes the holes that way. My LoD had round holes- Sorry Jess misunderstood your issue.

Like Chris and others stated- Dremel or drill out a bit and then spray with Rustoleum Satin (thats a match for almost all of my PC stuff). Its gunna get scrapped up anyways...:lol: Like those rock rings:lol::rofl:

Dont force those buggers or they will break (my install instructions had that in bold type). I guess you could just switch the parts out for a 2010 and get the ones like mine has (you pictured the set up above).

:cheers:

#20 ·
just finished up my rear install and encountered same issue.

Between the two youtube videos (1, 2), vendors printed instructions, and all the various posts, the install steps are covered pretty well.

By far the most time consuming for me, was removing 1.75mm of steel from both parking sensor cut outs in order to fit the OEM insert. This bit alone accounted for least 2 hours of hand work. There's always at least one simple step in instructions "install parking sensor on bumper" that's an understatement. Also note that the factory harness on my 2014 is a little different than what's been posted from pictures of older models. There's just one connect to the main harness which makes the routing a little easier.

I think most people who buy this bumper also install backup lights. The other time consuming bit was getting the lights aligned, centered and wired just right. Had to fab up a couple spacers since the mount points on the bumper are too low. Also due to thick head, took a while to figure out that piaa light bracket is reversible with two forward positions, the far forward position place lens perfectly at the cut-out. I was just about ready to fab up another bracket.

#21 · (Edited)
just finished up my rear install and encountered same issue.

Between the two youtube videos (1, 2), vendors printed instructions, and all the various posts, the install steps are covered pretty well.

I think most people who buy this bumper also install backup lights. The other time consuming bit was getting the lights aligned, centered and wired just right. Had to fab up a couple spacers since the mount points on the bumper are too low. Also due to thick head, took a while to figure out that piaa light bracket is reversible with two forward positions, the far forward position place lens perfectly at the cut-out. I was just about ready to fab up another bracket.

which model of PIAA did you use? I'm in the process of ordering the rear bumper and I'm trying to decide on lights

I'd like to do an LED (Rigid flush mount) but that means extra $$$ for the customization by Exp1 :(

btw...what colour is that on your bumper, looks great (but then again, I like pretty much anything that's just different from the usual black)

do you have any pics of the lights in the rear bumper mounted to the truck?

#23 ·
cant thank you enough man ... I've been trying to find a solution that solved my wants vs what comes off the line from Exp1 ... I was at the point that I was going to get them to cut some square holes for flush mounts, and that was going to kill any savings from the GB they had, on top of getting killed by the dollar exchange and the customs issues to get stuff up to Canada

as you can see, I genuinely enjoy non-black choices but I don't think I can do my usual red for something as big as a bumper :)

one last question ... PIAA's website shows different 530's ... 2 are driving lights so I'm assuming you don't mean those... there is a fog light (SAE compliant) and a flood light ... which did you choose? and any particular reason why?

again, thanks so much for your info

Attachments

#25 ·
f joy, my rear has "PIAA 530 LED 3.5 Driving Light", front has the "PIAA 530 LED 3.5 Fog". I also installed "PIAA 520 ATP Xtreme White Auxiliary" spotties up front. I ordered my Expo bumpers no powder coat.

i used the left 3 bottom OEM switch positions for the accessory lights...

#26 ·
f joy, my rear has "PIAA 530 LED 3.5 Driving Light", front has the "PIAA 530 LED 3.5 Fog". I also installed "PIAA 520 ATP Xtreme White Auxiliary" spotties up front. I ordered my Expo bumpers no powder coat.

i used the left 3 bottom OEM switch positions for the accessory lights...

ya, I've got the bumper coming no PC too, not taking any chances with shipping damages...I've got that Cobra75 too, mounted in the center storage bin

sounds like I just have to flip a coin for which light then...probably cant go wrong with PIAA :)

thanks for the advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.