Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Hi-Lift or Bottle Jack ?

26K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Serenity Now 
#1 ·
Okay I've heard the horror stories of some Hi-lift uses , I'm getting ready for a new front bumper , winch , and skids & sliders . So I know alot of people have a Hi-lift mounted on their fj and most look new from the pics , meaning little to no use yet , if ever .

I've seen the Hi-lift used by some very experienced people , and not so experienced people . There are some that say just get a bottle jack and you should be okay for 90% of the time .

So I'm asking for some input on this matter to help me decide , though a bottle jack sounds much easier to use and carry .

Thanks for your input .

#2 ·
Good question Ramoine. Subscribed :rocker:

I don't trust myself with the high lift jack and think my winch will get me out of any trouble I would get myself into. The high lift looks cool, but you're right they all look freshly powdercoated and unused. Tgey weigh a ****load too. I'm interested to hear the answer as well. I'm not sure the high lift is safe to change a tire and I can't do that with the winch. Maybe bottle jack and/or stock jack?

#3 · (Edited)
That's a good debate. One of the things I dig about my H-Lift is that you can remove the handle and use it for a leverage.
I don't see rock sliders in your mods. If that is the case a taller bottle jack is the way to roll.

P.S. Smalldog- My hi lift has trail/ use rash. But then again I don't think I have a picture posted with it.

#5 ·
right on! I do know many people in reality have it there for looks and emergency that will never happen but you definitely put yours to the test Itrust. I see all of your road trip posts and the mileage and gear you've tried, etc :rocker:

#4 ·
I have a Hi-Lift and have used it quite a few times for lifting and winching on my old 4x4's and have yet to use it on the FJ. I have used it for a lot of things non-automotive too and I think I would always keep it with me; however, I wouldn't use it if I could use a bottle jack instead.

The correct answer for me would be: both. I'd use the bottle jack if I could but have the Hi-Lift as "Option B".

#6 · (Edited)
A hi-lift jack is a good tool for several uses. If you are on a very tough trail (lots of big rock) and you tear a tire or break a rim it is for me easer to place a high lift in a good safe lifting spot. Than it would be a bottle jack. You may find your self at an odd angle where the bottle jack will max out before it lifts the vehicle high enough to put the spar on. However the fj will need sliders or aftermarket bumpers for a lifting point. I do agree that 90% of the time you can get away with a good bottle jack.

and yes just like a lot of tools they take some experience to get used to and has safety issues you need to be aware of before you use one just like a table saw read up before you use it

#40 ·
A hi-lift jack is a good tool for several uses.

and yes just like a lot of tools they take some experience to get used to and has safety issues you need to be aware of before you use one just like a table saw read up before you use it
Best comparison I have seen. I would not trust myself with any potentially dangerous tool with out first understanding dangers.

#7 ·
Bottle jacks work on small cars with low frame rails, not FJCs. Opt for the stock jack over a bottle jack, because one that'd be "safe" to lift an FJC at the frame, a must for a front tire change, it'd weigh more than a hi lift, and probably be as safe.

Need an x jack for safety.

Hi lifts serve many purposes beyond lifting the vehicle, but are cumbersome and dangerous. I'm not a fan, but it goes in the floorboard when heading to the bush, since it can act as a comealong, spreader, or weapon, should the situation arise.

If you get a hi lift, be sure to get one of these.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-6211

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#9 ·
I have the Hi-Lift an the X-Jack. The problem with the X-Jack is its a big airpillow and is not designed for changing flats although read many forums in AU where its been used to hold vehicles up while replacing Birfields.

The Hi-Lift is dangerous but so is a steel cable on a winch in tension. These are serious tools and should be used seriously. Take the time to know how they work at home in the driveway and they will benefit you a lot on the trail. Many uses including a cheap winch ( albeit slow:lol:) to discount them. Most accidents with them are a result of improper use and a lack of respect with concerns to safety.

You could hurt yourself with lots of tools but practice and safety will prevent 99% of the accidents your referring to.

Check out my build thread- I reference how they work so you can see a basic understanding on them.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2035797-post45.html

and

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2035798-post46.html

Check it out :cheers:

#10 ·
g'DAY Ramoine,
Good question, I use a trolley jack around my garage, as the stock bottle jack will not lift the vehicle high enough to do anything .... without timber under it... but for road and trail use... I am stuck... but I think a hilift is the only way to go... I have square sliders which does make it easier to lift the FJ at any point ... so I guess I am getting a hi lift jack soon.... haha
I know it doesn't really answer your question .. but something to consider...
Cheers
Baz

#11 ·
I've used Hi-Lift Jacks and seen them used in many different ways. Yes they can hurt you if you aren't paying attention. (There was a post on here from way back that one guy smashed his thumb and split it wide open.) They can also be very good and useful when used safely and with common sense. I've always just used my stock jack or a bottle jack for the most part on my vehicles as I wasn't lifted that high, 31's on my other vehicles with a 1 1/2" lift, and now I have 33's with a 2 1/2-3" lift. I usually have a few 2"x6" boards about a foot or so long to set the jack on or to put on top if needed.

All that being said, I do have a Hi-Lift jack and it does look brand new. That's because I bought it to mount in my pickup and never did. Never mounted it in my 4Runner and haven't mounted it in my FJ either. It's been sitting in the corner of my living room for about 20 years now.

#12 ·
I've only used my Hi Lift twice since I bought my Fj new in 07'. I was in Coal Creek in some uneven rocky terrain when I stripped the tire off the rim, that one time paid for itself. The other time was to test the operation (practice) and did a tire rotation on flat ground using jack stands. In my situation most floor jacks won't lift me off the ground to change a tire. I also carry a electric scissor jack and various size 4X4 & 2X4 blocks as shims or spacers. I would also buy the attachments so you can lift from different points,sliders,bumpers etc. I don't carry mine around only when on trail rides...you never know when you may need it.

#13 ·
I've used my hi lift countless times in a handful of different situations. I will use it on the trail and at home. If I had a floor jack I would prefer it at home but the hi lift is great and quick if you know what you are doing. Hi lifts are [never] faulty, they are very basic mechanics. Some people just don't take their time when using them and end up hurt.

#15 ·
A Hi-Lift is just a tool. Like any tool, you should probably have an idea about how you're going to use it before you get into a situation where it's use is critical.

Yes, it's true... you should probably make sure you have a place to hook up the Hi-Lift if you're going to use it for jacking... that's an issue that's been beat to death a thousand times.

However, what hasn't been adequately beaten is that the stock jack packed into the FJC is much taller than most people think. If you engage it and crank it all the way up, you'll release a second stage that telescopes out another length. It basically triples in height.

Lots of people look at the thing, never use it, and conclude that it it's inadequate... especially in light of their lift and larger tires.

Well, if you hook up with the stock jack, you put it under the rear axle housing or the front lower A arm, and it has no problem lifting the wheel off the ground if your goal is to change a flat tire, even if you're running 35's.

On the other hand, if you want to use the Hi-Lift to change a tire, you have to hook up under a rock slider or a metal bumper, and then lift the entire vehicle frame, till the wheel is suspended in air hanging from the suspension. It's quite a bit more lifting work to do.

The Hi-Lift is a great tool, but it's not something that has to be in every rig. As long as someone's got one on the trail, it'll be fine. It's not often that you need two.

#17 ·
the stock jack packed into the FJC is much taller than most people think. If you engage it and crank it all the way up, you'll release a second stage that telescopes out another length. It basically triples in height.

Lots of people look at the thing, never use it, and conclude that it it's inadequate... especially in light of their lift and larger tires.

Well, if you hook up with the stock jack, you put it under the rear axle housing or the front lower A arm, and it has no problem lifting the wheel off the ground if your goal is to change a flat tire, even if you're running 35's.

Good to know Bellydoc. I admit I have looked at the stock jack and thought, "you're not worthy !" I use my awesome floor jack at home to do repairs and maintenance, And haven't had a flat on the road or trail yet in the FJ. You have restored m faith in that little bastard!

#22 ·
Thanks everyone for your input and knowledge of an area of expertise that I will admit I lack .

Oc thanks for the new thread on the Hi-lift usage !

Those bottle jack stands look good too !

So maybe a combination is the ultimate way to go if you have the ability to carry things all at once .

I am going to get some EXP 1 sliders around FEB. so I'll be looking at the Hi-Ligt adapter possibly , it's good to know that there is no need to deal with WAB-FAB anymore .

I use the oem jack every time I work on my fj at home since as of now that's all I have and I know it will lift my fj as high as I need it too , but I was just interested in hearing about other options for trail use .

I love this forum for all the different experience levels the members here have and really appreciate the help you all have given me .

Thanks again .

#23 ·
Ive used just about everything to lift my FJ except a very stout tree and the front winch (there is time still...). That being said- those bottle neck/ jack stand things are awesome! Worked very well and because they were also jack stands- very save. They had a nice wide base that wasn't tipsy either.

The Hi-Lift does a lot more and can be used for strange locations like the FJ being stuck on frame at the breakover and youll need a lot of height. Looking at some peoples though- I doubt they ever used it. Keeping it greased and ready to be used is important otherwise a rebuild kit in the glove box isnt a bad option. Those pins can snap and are sheer rated to do so.

#26 ·
銀チタン;2251242 said:
Hi lifts serve many purposes beyond lifting the vehicle, but are cumbersome and dangerous. I'm not a fan, but it goes in the floorboard when heading to the bush, since it can act as a comealong, spreader, or weapon, should the situation arise.

If you get a hi lift, be sure to get one of these.

Hi-Lift Tubing Adapter RTC-HLA134

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Its definitely a tool that comes with a good amount of risk. Used to use them on the farm quite a bit when growing up, but only as a last option if there want a better way.

I've ditched the hilift for an aluminum floor jack which has met my needs so far. Think its a nice alternative to the hilift as the weight is similar and still allows for most of the same lifting operations, but with less risk imo. Doesn't have all the addtional features which is a downside, but never really used my hilift or anything other than lifting.

#27 ·
Been looking over a year for a Hi-Lift alternative. Never was a big fan of Hi-Lifts but nothing came up as a proven replacement until a few weeks ago at a Hi-Lift/bottle jack session that CORE hosted at its annual meeting. Alex Cho from JeepNeeds was there with some fantastic attachments for the Hi-Lift but what impressed me was the Safety Jack. Ive heard people on this Forum talk them up but Ive never used one and with all the attachments it sold me.

Attachments

#28 ·
Reactions: Bennza
#31 ·
Yup! Floor jacks are where its at! At the Black Hills Cruiser Classic this past summer a guy punctured 2tires on the same trail. My jack was used a lot that day, both on the trail and back at the campground for him to swap out borrowed wheels/tires from a local guy. Earned me a few free beers!

#32 · (Edited)
The Hi-Lift is one of several lifting tools I carry while off grid. As some have mentioned, different situations require different tools.

I just used my Hi-Lift when working on my front end. I open either the passenger or driver door, place a towel in the door jam to prevent the door from closing. This saves the side panels. I place the Hi-Lift on a rubber mat (prevents jack from slipping on concrete) under the rock rail outside the door. Once jacked up I place the the FJ on jack stands and remove the Hi-Lift.

Most of the time I use my bottle jack at home but periodically I use the Hi-Lift to make sure it's working properly and to stay familiar with it's operation. IMO is better to practice and get familiar with a tool like this in a controlled environment. Practice Practice Practice.

#33 ·
I ran into the owner of Pro-Eagle at the Off-Road Expo in Pomona, CA this weekend. He's going to work me a deal to use his jack and then provide a review of it. If all goes well, hopefully this is something we can get a group buy or forum discounted price on. More to follow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.