Bud Built vs. FJ Stock Underbelly Armor - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bud Built vs. FJ Stock Underbelly Armor

I have some armor that Toyota threw on my FJ, yet I hear about this Bud Built stuff... it doesn't look that thick... does it really protect me '$800 worth' more??

budbuilt dot com/new/

(can't post URLs until 4 posts... Blah... whatever -- and the captcha "enter letters for security" for every search you want to do on these forums... WTF?!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Daedalus504
Re: Bud Built vs. FJ Stock Underbelly Armor

Quote:
jasonfnorth previously said: View Post
I have some armor that Toyota threw on my FJ, yet I hear about this Bud Built stuff... it doesn't look that thick... does it really protect me '$800 worth' more??

budbuilt dot com/new/

(can't post URLs until 4 posts... Blah... whatever -- and the captcha "enter letters for security" for every search you want to do on these forums... WTF?!)
Yes.

Thick? It's fit for a tank.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Forum Veteran

I went with the Man A Fre (MAF) set-up and it is similar to the BudBuilt. The stuff is THICK! The plates are HEAVY stuff! The pictures don't do the product justice! I am very happy with the design/quality of the MAF set up and it makes the OEM skids look/feel like tissue paper. I don't know what part of the country you live in, MAF is here in the so cal area and BudBuilt is I believe on the east coast. I would order from who ever is closer just for shipping cost reasons. You can't go wrong with either company.

My only gripe with MAF is they shorted me hardware, so I started an install that I could not finish. I had to wait 3 days for the missing hardware. It is a straight forward install, but instructions would have saved me 15-20 minutes and also helped identify that I was missing bolts up front before I started to disassemble my rig. Only to stop, scratch my head and then put it back to stock and wait for the package in the mail.

On second thought, go with BudBuilt! MAF knew skids went out with hardware shortages (according to the sales rep) and did not contact the customers, instead waited for the customer to call and complain. I was not the only one who was shorted, because the MAF sales rep disclosed this to me, but blamed someone else in the supply chain. They only had a limited # of skids on hand and could have called the limited few who bought and went the extra mile to be proactive.

Sorry, now I am just ranting.

"Laugh it up Fuzzball"

Last edited by VP23271; 05-23-2007 at 12:59 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

The stock plates don't really hold up if ya bang 'em. I still have mine sitting in the garage for chuckles - nice folds and dings, all bent out of shape. I think every skid I've seen aftermarket is made from 3/16" steel and are INFINITELY better than stock.

Quote:
VP23271 previously said: View Post
On second thought, go with BudBuilt! MAF knew skids went out with hardware shortages (according to the sales rep) and did not contact the customers, instead waited for the customer to call and complain. I was not the only one who was shorted, because the MAF sales rep disclosed this to me, but blamed someone else in the supply chain. They only had a limited # of skids on hand and could have called the limited few who bought and went the extra mile to be proactive.
That sucks. But I've heard one or two bad supply stories about every major aftermarket vendor at some point. I guess I may be overly wedded to MAF, but they've been absolutely spectacular for me... Their skidders are awesome and I've beaten the heck out of them!*

*(fast legal disclaimer: mir207 is not affiliated with MAF or MAF subsidiaries. no compensation has been provided to mir207, mir207 subsidiaries or dependencies for opinions offered in this post. representations or opinions are meant for entertainment purposes only, and are not intended as warrantee or guarantee of performance nor implication thereof. ymmv) now i'm just getting stupid... night.

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:01 AM

(Thread Starter)

Cheers guys! You've perfectly answered my question. I've dented the hell out of my stock FJ underbelly armor, which is why I'm looking to upgrade it... that'll be my first mod... then I'll move onto lift, steel stepping board bars, etc...

Rock on!
#6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
jasonfnorth previously said: View Post

budbuilt dot com/new/

BudBuilt is the best there is out there right now... the MAF skids have cutouts on the sides that catch on debris and snag on rocks, which could create problems. The budbuilt skids are a smooth finish all the way around, and with counter-sunk hardware and button head bolts, there's nothing to get caught on, which is part of the point of a SKID plate. The BBs are precision bend and cut, fit perfectly, and work with all brands of coilovers as well. They are more expensive, but the best usually is... I use 'em, I sell 'em, and i install 'em - all by choice...

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

#7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
cruiserlarry previously said: View Post
the MAF skids have cutouts on the sides that catch on debris and snag on rocks
OK. Gotta call scare mongering on that If you know skids, you've already got your own opinion on this. For those still thinking about what to buy or coming up to speed on skids, and could potentially mistake the above quoted post for fact: there was a thread a few months back on AllPro vs. Bud. vs. MAF and it goes "closest to body is best" vs. "flat is best" vs. "something in the middle." I never did see a winner, but I think this may be all just personal preference and mucho hot air.

As for those cutouts that snag on rocks, I include a photo. They may catch, I don't think they have from the photo. But in any case, it has never been an issue re: sticking or even close to pulling anything off (I can't even bend those suckers when dropping the whole vehicle down onto rocks - and any piece of rock small (thin) enough to poke up through those holes is just gonna get sheered off by the plate). The exhaust cross over looks much more impacted (i.e. scratched), but I was once chewed-out (probably rightly) by another forum member for bringing this up as an issue since if you've taken a bad enough line to get snagged there, you're gonna get snagged on something else (most likely rear diff - see my avatar, on the left ) anyway.

The Bud plates look great and you gotta love that there's the fuel tank skid available too. But this was just too overly-stated as fact to let fly. I will humbly admit horrible error if you show me photos of someone come acropper due to MAF, AP, or Demello skids

Why the holes? : "skid plates have access holes for necessary maintenance, as well as plenty of drain holes so your skid plates do not end up as a mud bath." Given that I mainly drive desert, I probably don't really even need this, but it's another factor to consider...

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.

Last edited by mir207; 05-23-2007 at 03:59 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Forum Superstar

The stock skid plates are slightly thicker than a heavy duty tomato can, could bend them with my entire body weight (130). The stock gas skid (plastic) is a joke, no thicker than a plastic sled, looks like a sled too.

3/16 steal it tough, I would imagine it could deflect a bullet. I've beaten my Bud Builts pretty hard and they have saved my FJ from serious damage, I would had destroyed my exhaust crossover when I got high centered, the skid held my FJ ontop of the rock, all 4 wheels not making contact. SO yeah, they are worth every penny

How To Guides
If links are broken, please make a post in that thread.
http://rollmeover.forumer.com/forums.../How-To-Guides

RollMeOver Inclinometer Trial, Check it out
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ollMeOverTrial

#9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Forum Veteran

I met Bud a couple of weeks ago and picked up a set of skids from him. One of the best "peace of mind" purchases that I have made. The stock skids were nicely beat up when I took them off. The Bud skids are very well built and easy to install. Do it, you won't regret it.

'07 FJC (voodoo)
More money in mods than I care to admit!
#10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to rich_4

if you go wheelin' they're worth every penny.

I have the full Bud's..and I'm glad I do. When I installed them and took off the stock toyota 'skid plates' I fully understood why I had purchased the Buds. One shot to the factory skids, and they're useless. When you're laying under your FJ with a Bud skidplate on your chest, and a socket wrench in your hand..trying to lift the thing up..you'll understand why they're so great.

first rock you come down on, you'll be happy.

"Skin grows back - paint doesn't."
-Chip Foose

2009 Tundra. 5.7 Double Cab 4x4. Classic Chambered Powersticks - true duals.
2006 IS350. Slammed. Greddy. Fujita. ACE. Eibach. - Sold
2007 FJ. Expedition One. Rough Country 6". Dick Cepek 35's. TRD. All-Pro. PIAA. BudBuilt. Cobra. JL Audio. Superwinch. - Sold

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.