Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

LCNW Bumper questions

104K views 243 replies 29 participants last post by  Ike1985 
#1 ·
My LCNW 3 Hoop Bumper did not come with installation instructions. Are they supposed to?

I'm looking in the supplied hardware box and it seems like there aren't enough bolts.

I have two brackets, what looks to be two spacer plates, and then a collection of bolts, nuts and lock washers. Based on eyeballing the photos of installed bumpers, it seems like there aren't enough bolts included in my package. Do these bumpers use some of the bolts that you remove from the factory bumper?

I don't see any bolts to attach the bottom plate for instance.

Help!

#4 ·
Hey man! There are no instructions but I can help..

The hardware kit should include 8 bolts, 4 nuts, 2 big oval washers with 5 holes in them, and 2 bumper mounts. The bumper mounts get installed alone, first. Also you should have 6 Allen bolts to secure the winch cover underneath, and maybe 2 bolts and nuts to attach a fairlead.

The 3 oem nuts and bolts on either side of the winch mount get re-used. The top and bottom holes get a new nut and bolt

Guitar Electronics Electric guitar

The big oval washers with the 5 holes in them go behind the 5 bolts up against the backside of the bumper. I also had to use some additional washers to move the bumper away from the truck to stop some rubbing. The shinest spot in the middle of the pic are the washers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
You can see the large shiny aluminum washer behind the bumper in the middle-left side of the pic
Auto part Suspension

Guitar Electronics Electric guitar

Attachments

#6 ·
Ok what about the plate that goes underneath and comes with the bumper?

#8 ·
The bumper skid/winch cover? If so it goes under the winch and is attached with the 6 Allen bolts

#7 ·
Here is the hardware I received:

#10 ·
Also, does it matter if the 2 big washers are a bit chewed up in places?

#12 ·
Also, does it matter if the 2 big washers are a bit chewed up in places?

Yea the chewed up washers make no difference. That washer just spaces the bumper away from the truck. Once the bolts are tightened around it. It will be locked and loaded

#11 ·
Post removed to clean up the flow

#18 ·
Is that all the hardware? No big nuts and bolts? You should have 6 big bolts and nuts.

You can easily get some at any hardware store. The upper and lower 2 bolts on either side of the winch are 1 3/4" and you need 4 of those.

The bumper mounts need 2 bolts each as well and I'm not sure of tge length without taking those out.

So I have 6 large bolts with 4 nuts. I also have 2 smaller bolts with no nuts. I have no allen bolts to speak of.

Where do the two smaller bolts go? I'm trying to plan this out before removing my factory bumper that I'm sure I can get this thing on.

#13 ·
The 6 bolts you see on the right are pretty big. I thought that was what you were referring to.

#14 ·
Ok they looked small in the pic :cheers:

#16 ·
Yeah except I'm missing the allen bolts and some nuts

#19 ·
Ok the Allen bolts, (or Phillips if you want) can be had at any hardware store. No big deal. I upgraded some of my bolts to stainless.

#17 ·
You are gonna have to trim the mud guards(scissors or tin snips work), and carefully bend the A/C line but don't crease it or bend on an existing bends. Just light, gradual bends while holding the line with 2 hands so you don't tweak the line on either end. The 2 hands on the line control the bend better.

#21 ·
Ok ok... so it seems I'm only missing the allen bolts. Whew..... thanks for the help man!

#25 ·
Anytime brotha! I definitely had to figure some **** out on my own to install mine :lol: no
Instructions but that has been consistent with the majority of my mods.

#22 ·
The winch plate that is attached to the bottom with allen bolts -- looks like that is unpainted on the installs I've seen. Is that aluminum rather than steel? I guess it must be.

#24 ·
Yup it's aluminum and unpainted. Mine wasn't pretty but nobody ever sees it. It's pretty much invisible.

#23 ·
I cleaned up my posts above to be correct and consistent with the hardware count and instructions :cheers:

#27 ·
#29 ·
I'm going to paint that aluminum plate to match. I have black steel skids underneath, so I'm painting the thing.

#30 ·
No reason not to! I've always been hesitant to paint aluminum but a lot of people do it and it seems to hold up well ..

#32 ·
Well the powder coating places here couldn't even guarantee they could get to it in 3 to 4 weeks. Frankly I'm tired of dealing with it. Rattle can it is.

#33 ·
What was the explanation for no powdercoat? He thought you specified bare? Or they just forgot?

#36 ·
Before pictures:

#37 ·
Buddy, your patience is amazing...$1300+ with no instructions and no powder coat? I'd be pretty annoyed at how everything turned out, but it sounds like you're making it work.

Anxious to see the after pictures.

#38 ·
1670 after shipping. But they will refund at least $100 for the powder coating.

#39 ·
Well, the Home Depot and a local hardware store did not have the alan screws/bolts in the right size. I'm going to last ditch try a couple auto parts stores. What a pain in my ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.