Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Some Diff Protection

7K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  mach1dsg 
#1 ·
Just got back from bashing my 2014 up Poughkeepsie Gulch and down the Black Bear Road among other places (I was there after the Summit). Was left was some souvenirs engraved on my RCI skid plates but was most concerned about the ring around the drain plug on the rear diff. A good portion of it is ground off. Another go around like this one and I'll be working on oiling the tundra. I'm interested in folks' experience with rear diff skids. What are your recommendations?

#3 ·
You'll rob clearance with a diff skid, and many of them don't protect the area you refer to. The bottom of the diff is pretty strong as-is and I have yet to see someone blow out their FJ diff from impact, although it probably has happened as nothing is impossible

Reactions: FJess
#5 ·
yes, you lose a little over 1/4 inch of clearance depending on the brand skid you go with, but it does protect the ring around the drain plug.

FJ Cruiser Skids by tsy87, on Flickr

Reactions: NW FJC
#8 ·
With the Boztec you can use your rear diff as a rock slider :lol: I have no doubt that I would have cracked the pumpkin if I did not have one installed. It has taken some major shots and is on it's dozenth round of touch up paint and second set of stickers.

Reactions: FJ Moose
#9 ·
I run a weld-on trail gear diff cover, inchworm e-locker guard, and 3 pieces of 3/8 plate on the bottom of the diff. I did this years ago before there were any options, (the trailgear cover is actually a trimmed Toyota mini truck cover). It's not the prettiest, but the loss of clearance is negligible. The bottom plates extend forward slightly to protect the diff studs/bolts and have a cutout for the drain plug (put this on when I smashed the diff, broke a stud, seal leaked). Has held up great, I just can't justify spending $385 when I can get the same protection by welding $60 in steel.

Reactions: FJess
#18 ·
I run a weld-on trail gear diff cover, inchworm e-locker guard, and 3 pieces of 3/8 plate on the bottom of the diff. I did this years ago before there were any options, (the trailgear cover is actually a trimmed Toyota mini truck cover). It's not the prettiest, but the loss of clearance is negligible. The bottom plates extend forward slightly to protect the diff studs/bolts and have a cutout for the drain plug (put this on when I smashed the diff, broke a stud, seal leaked). Has held up great, I just can't justify spending $385 when I can get the same protection by welding $60 in steel.
Love your solution! This is much more elegant than the bolt on covers, IMO. I still have a weld-on rear pumpkin protector to attach that Chris D. sent me. Was thinking a few beads to build up that ring around the drain plug may be helpful as well.

Anyway, just wanted to say that this is cool. :)

#13 ·
Might want to check out purefjcruiser.com . I dont believe i had to pay shipping. May save you a bit.

#14 · (Edited)
Budbuilt. Since my transfer case was changed and had a tuck- that and my gas tank see all the action now.

#16 ·
I'll second the Budbuilts.....I have my diff skid and gas tank skid waiting install now.
I've got a few small chunks out of my diff so I felt it was worth it.

Love my Buds!!

#20 ·
Yeah, you definitely want some kind of skid. One guy didn't crack the pumpkin, but bent it enough the seal broke.

Here is mine, no lift, after one run on Top of the World in Moab.

#21 ·
I have the BudBuilt on mine and it's tough as nails. But man, was it a b***h to get on. Incredibly tight fit. Had to use a bottle jack to get it on.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the Boztec just for ease of install.

#23 ·
^^^^^^

what he said :p

#24 ·
Next time a group buy on Boztec pumkin skids comes along I'm in for one!

#25 ·
#26 ·
Bought the Boztec skid from Purefjcruiser, free shipping. Couldn't find any other deal, but most other places were charging $40+ for shipping, so free shipping is good enough in my books. Can wait to get it and have it installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.