Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Total chaos uca ball joint uniball replacement repair

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mikey 
#1 · (Edited)
Searching the forum was a little clumsy so I am posting my repair of squeaky Total Chaos upper control arm uniball / rod end / ball joint in hopes it will help others find a solution more quickly.

part number for replacement uniball is 16TKH BY AURORA for the UCA with red poly bushings. Total Chaos was closed both times I tried to call so I can not verify other application fitment. Again these are teflon lined and stay quiet. Well, for longer anyway.

I bought from Scott at FierceOffroad.com at phone 877-762-7600. If it wasn't for him I would have purchased the wrong part WSSX16T that I found on the forum as the replacement part. kar tek also has them listed on their web site. Price was $55 ea. both places for the 16TKH BY AURORA.

Basically the outer diameter is the key to fitment and the teflon lining is the key to quiet. 1.75 is the required diameter for my UCA's and what is referenced elsewhere was always the 2.125 diameter joint. If you tape measure you can deduce between the two sizes easily without a caliper.

There are misalignment spacers on top and bottom of the joint and are reuseable. $8 each to replace.

I will try to photo up the simple replacement procedure.

link deleted due to never receiving part from company (not a forum vendor)

order from below after 1st vendor flaked after charging my card.

Aurora COM Series Spherical Bearings 1" ID Bore, Heat Treated - Kartek Off-Road

See less See more
#3 ·
I know. Would you believe a small shot of dry lube and it's quiet as can be. The rig sat for a couple years and must of had salty mud or the like packed around the top of the joint. When I cleaned things up I could see the makings of pumice wheel. Squeaks began about a thousand miles later.

#7 ·
Yes. The wrong ones were originally posted in this thread. The ones he used are non-stainless steel used in other UCA's. The ones you want as OE TC replacement are these: FK 1'' WSSX-T Spherical Bearing, Wide Series w/Teflon

FK P/N: WSSX16T

I wouldn't (and didn't) buy them from TC unless you need the new snap rings. Even then you could probably save $ and source them elsewhere.

#8 ·
I'm still wondering how @ZUNAMI1 you got those bearings on there. Everything I see says FK WSSX16T is the right part number. And as you say, the OD is quite different. I have the WSSX16T in their package ready to go on and after a quick measurement with my calipers they appear to be the right size. Make sure to measure from the bottom of the UCA because that is where the bearing bore is. The top is just a shoulder to bottom the bearing.

Item # COM-16TKH, COM-KH Series Spherical Bearings, (PTFE Liners Available) On Aurora Bearing Co.
FK Rod Ends- Home Page

#9 ·
I have to do this to.

Picked up the uniballs, red bushings and the uniball installation tools from Down South Motorsports. Can't remember the price though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.