Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Ricochet skid install

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bazross 
#1 ·
Ok, after this mess...(first image)

Ripped off the front OEM skid. Broke 2 bolts, broke 1 weld nut.

Good news?!?!
Upgrade time.

Received Ricochet skids with a quickness.

I knew the mount points were jacked up. The 2 brackets that span from the forward most frame/crossmember to the next crossmember just forward of the engine, were the problem. One was bent pretty bad.

I figured I would purchase new pieces and call it a day, but you know how it is, standing there looking at your new skids, and declaring it a stalled project...
I called and spoke with Brad at Ricochet, and he advised that it is not uncommon for the weld nuts to break. He directed me to the forum (here) where he called out replacement weld nuts from granger.

My problem, I don't have easy access to a welder.

I searched the forums a bit more and found suggestions to drill out the bolts/nuts and get longer bolts and nuts, and mount through the front crossmember.

Turns out the two mount points that were the real problem, are not used when installing the Ricochet skids.

I hammered the broken bolts to break the two front weld nuts, and got 70mm length bolts (and nuts) to mount.

The rest of the install went according to the instructions, except for the lower control arm pieces. The outermost hole (nearest the wheel) had to be drilled out just a bit. The bolt from the kit would not fit. Not that it was tight, it just would not fit. The top side hole of the control arm was fine. I just had to open up the lower hole.

2011 FJC.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
wow ... great before and after pics ... what a mess the OEM skid was ... looks clean now ...

might want to consider using nutserts when a bolt breaks off ... have to drill out the broken bolt but the nutsert is inserted into the hole in a similar manner as a rivet ... once "rivetted" in its threaded on the inside which allows putting new bolt into it ...
:smile

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I don't think I worded it accurately, but the 'nutsert' is, I think, what Brad recommended. I assume that would rely on the integrity of the weld nut though?

Ultimately, I think the bolt through the frame/crossmember is a better solution.

When I hammered out the weld nuts, it really didn't take much.

http://youtu.be/sz2yZNqGNqo

Just watched a nutsert video. Looks good.

I still like the bolt through the frame though.

#5 ·
G'day Mate,
:lol:
No you are not missing anything.... The access hole is to allow you to drain the oil .... hahahaha...
Yes its a throw back to the 07-09 models, if you don't change your filter when you do an oil change...
I would not recommend doing it tho' ... new filter + new oil = happy J ...
it also acts as ventilation for mud .... :lol:
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

ps, new skids look great ... should have anodised them VB !!!!! :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.