Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

RESZ Fab Bumper Prep

39K views 72 replies 19 participants last post by  FatJohnson 
#1 ·
Hopefully, in the next week or two I should be getting in a V2 single hoop bumper and I want the process to go as smoothly as possible. I wanna hear some feedback and tips from people that have already installed this bumper and maybe even see some pictures of what specifically needs to be cut or painted.

#2 ·
Great! I'm sorting thru my pix now...and there's plenty of overlap with other bumpers regarding installation.
But because the Resz V2 has greater corner clearance (awesome for tight trails and access for maintenance :clap:) more "guts" are exposed and in need of black paint prior to install. You'll be removing a LOT of OE pieces in front!

These corner areas need paint and trim of inner fender plastic:

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
We used a hoist to position the bumper, then did final trimming of fender well plastic and popped the two little body panels adjacent to the headlights back in. I, like many others, broke the clips on these removing them so they don't seat quite right anymore. There IS a correct procedure for removing them - but don't ask me! In the lower L corner you can see how that fender trimming job is turning out (not finished yet).

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
You can see how that little silver panel under the headlight is slightly misaligned...and I have to keep pushing it back in place :| Also notice the fender trim with plastic neatly tucked into it, lower L. Finished that off with a small screw to hold it all in place. Good luck!!

Attachments

#7 ·
G'day,
To remove the 1/4 panel under the headlight is easy, but care is needed so as not to snap the clips... as Deb found out...

Using a plastic pry tool at the outside vertical edge. Slide it in and down the edge and the two hard plastic claws will pop. wiggle them forward to clear the clasps on the fender.
See the two hook clasp holes in the first picture Deb posted... right under the indicator ..

Then pull the 1/4 panel sideways ...NOT forward .. and the front soft plastic clip will release the panel.
Study the back of the 1/4 panel when off and see how it aligns with a U shape holder at the front..
To refit the panel.
slide the front U shaped holder over the soft clip from the side ... and once in push the panel back ..flexing the panel slightly so the two hooks clasp the holes... and you are done.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

#9 ·
Because it's already painted silver I just hit it with several coats automotive enamel. And the black plastic cuts easily with a small skill saw, though you could probably do it with a Dremel tool or Rotozip and appropriate blade/attachment.

#20 ·
Those come off quite easily. I've had them off a few times when doing my bi-xenon headlight retro. I just grabbed the front part with my fingers( closest to the headlight ), and pulled straight forward to ward the front of the FJ, and they pop right out. When reinstalling them, key the back side in first, and push the panel straight in toward the rear of the FJ until it snaps in.

Pro tip: if you've already broke the clips on them, you can use some butyl windshield rubber sealer to stick them in to hold them in place..this way they'll still be removable if the need arises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
If I recall correctly it's the only way you can remove all the OE parts. Maybe if you're able to figure out a better way, you can tell us! I've seen MANY modified FJs with those little panels loose or missing :rofl:

#13 ·
Great thread! I to purchased the RESZ V2 bumper with no hoop though. From what I gather, instructions are not included with the bumper? As someone mentioned previously, most instructions out there already apply, but it' be nice to know the caveats of this exact install.

Thanks Deb for some pointers. I have a couple questions...

1) do the fenders need to be removed for proper install?
2) does the AC condenser line need to be re-routed behind the hood latch mechanism support? Or bent out of the way at all similar to the All Pro front bumper install directions?

Agreed, this is one of the cleanest / tightest bumpers around IMO.

Thanks,
John

#14 ·
Hi you need to remove the trim pieces to access the OE bumper supports that you need to remove. Mine came off easily so I guess I was lucky.

I used a knife to cut the fender plastic, heated the blade with a heat gun and it cut really easily leaving a nice edge.

@debFJVT you should do a full write up or build thread...you've done so much that helps us out with our builds!

#17 ·
Hi you need to remove the trim pieces to access the OE bumper supports that you need to remove. Mine came off easily so I guess I was lucky.

I used a knife to cut the fender plastic, heated it with a heat gun and it cut really easily leaving a nice edge.

@debFJVT you should do a full write up or build thread...you've done so much that helps us out with our builds!
My bumper is currently held on with a zip tie and wire on each side after someone hit me while I was parked and my bumper supports are both cracked so I don't think I'll have much issue removing those haha.

#16 · (Edited)
Congrats John! Yes, loving the clean lines and the tight-to-body design...gives great cornering clearance :rocker:
So, no instructions are included, which is not unusual. Really just a few bolts! :lol: Prep is the complex part...as is winch/lights install, so generic instruction will definitely apply.
1) no the fender flares (black plastic) don't need to be removed for install, but some of the fender lining will have to be cut away. Specifically, the long piece that connects to the bump thingy in the OE bumper underside will need to be cut - you can see it hanging down in my pix.

2) no my a/c line got to stay put, no relo.

When is yours coming?

#22 ·
Thanks! I ordered on BF so I anticipate a 2 week turnaround? No rush as I am headed home for the holidays anyway.

I think that the V2 with stock flares will still look great and provide the option of removing them down the road. The lines on this V2 are just so clean and match the FJ nicely.

Thanks for the feedback on the AC line inquiry. I like to be prepared before tackling any job so to minimize the surprises... minimize not eliminate :)

I wrote up a huge HID Retrofit how-to a while back and I am considering that level of detail yet again for this bumper install... I owe this forum another thank you for all it does for the FJ cause.

John

#27 · (Edited)
You are going to love your RESZ bumper!!

I had a picture from when I installed mine (had a previous bumper on the rig, so other steps may have been taken during that install that I dont recall). The two circles under the headlights there is a stud sticking up, just grind it down to prevent rubbing.

On the AC line, I suggest unbolting the vertical hinge / latch support and bending the line behind that bracket. Also wrap it with some fuel line. This will protect it otherwise you risk a few hundred dollar of damage if it got ruined (happened to me on my old bumper).

Then start to mount it, and see where clearance issues may arise. Grind down and repeat until it is comfortably bolted onto the frame without any interference.

#28 ·
You are going to love your RESZ bumper!!

I had a picture from when I installed mine (had a previous bumper on the rig, so other steps may have been taken during that install that I dont recall). The two circles under the headlights there is a stud sticking up, just grind it down to prevent rubbing.

On the AC line, I suggest unbolting the vertical hinge / latch support and bending the line behind that bracket. Also wrap it with some fuel line. This will protect it otherwise you risk a few hundred dollar of damage if it got ruined (happened to me on my old bumper).

Then start to mount it, and see where clearance issues may arise. Grind down and repeat until it is comfortably bolted onto the frame without any interference.
Hey Greg, we meet again :) It's John from texting yesterday. So now we are digital friends over FJC, Instagram and Text... small world right?

Thanks again for posting this pic and assisting! I can't wait to see all your mods get done from the BF sales!

John

#31 ·
Waiting is the hardest part!! But comes with the territory...I intentionally went with a small, entirely custom company because I knew that someone passionate about their work would do quality, and Mike absolutely exceeded my expectations. He worked directly with me on hoop design modifications, which was wonderful but also delayed production a bit more....worth it!! So I know it's difficult but patience.... :smile

#35 ·
Ok folks, I have started on an Installation Guide for the RESZ Fab front bumper. I essentially "borrowed" the one from All Pro but I am tweaking it as necessary with LOTS of RESZ Fab pics... ok, I stole it pretty hard so I hope Terry and the peeps over there don't mind.

Granted I don't have my RESZ Fab V2 in possession yet but as mentioned earlier there's a lot of install overlap and I am getting a jump start on the instructions. I'll pass them on to Mike for approval before sending anything to the group. He might want to add his own legal clause or input.

I don't anticipate this being complete until the first of the year 2017 in all honesty. I think I still have a couple weeks before my bumper even makes it to me then I have to paint it up.

John

#36 ·
I saw Deb's front bumper at Summit this year and knew I had to get one. I ordered mine with the BF sale. No rush at all on mine, I will be out of he country for all of January and won't get to begin install until probably March.

This has been a great thread so far for help and advice so I know what to expect when I do install mine.

#40 · (Edited)
I ordered a v2 stinger today. I have finally bought something for my FJ that's close enough to go pick up instead of getting shipped all the way across the country.
I should also add that Mike was great to deal with. He answered all my dumb questions promptly, both by email and phone. Never made me feel like I was wasting his time or he had something better to do. Definitely gets an A+ for customer service.

#42 ·
Hey there,
I am in the same boat. Mike has answered my calls and has been very nice to talk with, but I don't have a definitive timeline from him when it's going to ship or if it's ready yet.

I know he's a legit person / company from others on this forum so I am not worried about being burned. It is frustrating though.

John

#45 ·
I also ordered a bumper on black friday,I got it 5 days ago after contacting or trying to contact Resz fab multiple times. I am moving from Utah to Alaska and am on the drive there now, but as such, I needed the bumper before I could leave and was pretty worried about it getting here in time. Mike was able to jump mine ahead of around 15 that were still ahead of me. I have very mixed feelings about Resz Fab at this point. Every time I was able to talk to mike on the phone or on facebook he was very nice and helpful but there were many times I didn't get a response and it's very hard to find a phone number on his website. I do understand that it's a small operation and that he was very backed up, but I would have been 100 percent happy just to have gotten an email a month or so later letting me know about the delay and some sort of estimate as to when to expect shipment. Instead I had to search out information thru Resz's Facebook page and all the while I'm seeing that he's pushing lots of other sales and deals while I still haven't heard anything month's later. With all that being said, the bumper was amazing and I'm thrilled with the quality. The black friday deal was an amazing deal that I'm grateful for and it certainly was worth the wait at that price although, I hope that Mike improves communication with his customers in the future.

Attachments

#46 ·
I would also like to add for anyone still waiting on theirs that the install was incredibly easy. It took me less than four hours to do the entire thing including putting the winch in. I found a thread on here about an all pro bumper install and just followed those instructions on everything to remove and cut down for the old bumper and that worked perfect for the resz fab install. I also did this entirely by myself and without any sort of help lifting it up, with the winch in it this thing was 160 lbs but i found it was easy to put my body inside the front hoop and just deadlift it up and then by angling the bumper I was able to rest the hoop on my waist to take a lot of the weight off my arms while i put it in place. This was probably one of the easiest DIY projects I've ever done on the FJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.