Rear Door Load Capacity . . . - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Door Load Capacity . . .

Howdy Forum!

tl;dr

How much weight do you think I could hang on the rear door?

Story Time:

Though I've not created a build thread yet, awesome things are happening to my green rig Blinky (so named by my best friend who laughingly recalled the mutant frog from The Simpsons when he saw the three windshield wipers.) Essentially, I'm doing a Baja Kits long travel install on front and a MT long travel on rear toward the end of making this thing "prerunner style" to get me to the lesser known climbing crags. Or at least that's my excuse

Point is, I don't want to make Blinky a pig. Bullfrog is okay. No armor, lightweight N-Fab front bumper and modified stock rear bumper. To that end, I'm thinking of fabbing a aluminum plate with stiffening ribs to allow me to carry a gas and water can on either side of the spare wheel (which is at least 50 lbs alone.) I plan to replace the strut with something that offers greater damping to limit how fast the door can open or close. The hinges on the door look strong enough. . . but what do you all think? I'm sure many of you have added weight to the door with trail bags, etc. Any horror stories?

Thanks,
Robot

PS, is the rear door type on the FJ a Swiss Door?

f0rgiv3 m3, i haz t3h dum6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Rear Door Load Capacity . . .

What do you mean by modified stock rear bumper? In my case my 34" spare tire rests nicely on the rear bumper and supports some of its weight when the door is closed.

If you are concerned about weight on the hatch, consider making your own swing-out to the stock rear bumper to carry the spare and that gear.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I have a 2007 FJ, which is before the backup camera, which was first introduced in 2008. Also, the spare tire cover, which contains the camera, was an option on the 2007. I didn't opt for the spare tire cover. Hence, a bicycle mount attached to the rear tire doesn't require doing something with the camera.

This brings me to my point. I have a Yakima "SpareTime" bicycle mount attached to the spare tire mount on the rear door. I would guess the mount and two bicycles weigh less than 100 pounds.

Water weighs more than gasoline, so using water's weight of 8.34 pounds per gallon times 10 gallons, or 83 pounds. Adding 10 pounds for two jerry cans and 50 pounds for the structural frame to hold everything, brings the total weight to about 150 pounds.

I haven't experienced any problems carrying bicycles, although about 50% of what you want to do. However, I think your concept won't be an issue either. Just exercise care when opening and closing the rear door. For instance I do not allow the rear door to freely swing open when parked on a hill with the front end pointed up the hill. I wouldn't want the door, having extra weight, freely swing open to be abruptly stopped by the door strut.

Maybe someone on the forum has performed the modification you are looking for.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Garage

I believe that some people have experienced sag in the hinge after mounting HiLift jacks on the tire carrier???

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
What do you mean by modified stock rear bumper?
I intend to modify the impact absorbing portion of the bumper to improve departure angle, mostly by modifying the rear wings. As for the actual structural part of the bumper, I plan to move the hitch receiver up so that it no longer sits below the frame, and to add recovery points.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
. . . Consider making your own swing-out to the stock rear bumper to carry the spare and that gear.
That's a pretty good idea. Hadn't thought about that.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Kansas Law Dog previously said: View Post
. . .so using water's weight of 8.34 pounds per gallon times 10 gallons, or 83 pounds. Adding 10 pounds for two jerry cans and 50 pounds for the structural frame to hold everything, brings the total weight to about 150 pounds. . .
That seems like a good maximum weight estimation for my application, which leads me to the next question of if the tire carrier mounting bolts on the door are up to the task?

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
I believe that some people have experienced sag in the hinge after mounting HiLift jacks on the tire carrier???
That wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if the sag was past the point of adjustment or not?

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Garage

The door will definitely sag over time if you add too much additional weight. IMO adding 150 additional lbs your gonna run into trouble.

Making your own swing-out as an addition to the rear bumper is pretty easy. It's done more often with the 4runner crowd since they can't store any oversized spare tire under their vehicle, it doesn't fit. So they add a swing out. It's not so popular for FJC's since we can easily hold a 35" tire with the factory hatch. However for your purposes it would work out pretty well to add additional fuel etc. Here is my brother's build thread where he added a swing out. We've thought about making a bolt on swing out kit. Would be pretty awesome.

Inv4drZm's Build Thread - Page 5 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

Aux tank will carry more than 2x the fuel, put the weight lower for even better than stock center of gravity and you don't handle cans or tubes, no smelly fingers.
Armor it if your worried about smashing it, mine has been over quite a few rocky trails without issue.
Loganbeere and Robot like this.

KJ6FJC
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
thane previously said: View Post
Aux tank will carry more than 2x the fuel . . .
True! That is something I've been looking into.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.