Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

FJNewb's SCUBA DRIVER Mod!!

322K views 390 replies 165 participants last post by  Winterpeg 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to doing the SCUBA mod to raise the breather on the e-locker, rear diff, transmission, and transfer case.

The original SCUBA mod by Shadow Warrior can be found here http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/29229-scuba-driver-transmission-transfer-case-rear-differential-e-locker-breather-mod.html

Taken from Shadow-Warrior's post
Historic Background For Doing This MOD

Toyota has moved the Front Differential and Front Actuator breathers up high in the engine bay already for you, but neglected to move the Rear Differential breather, E-Locker breather, Transmission & Transfer Case Breathers. Those with the MT will only have one breather in the engine bay area, you don't have the front actuator like the AT's do. I decided to relocate the breathers up high too, I would normally run all breathers inside the vehicle, but since the front is already in the engine bay. I decided to run the rear differential & Locker there too. I want to say this has been a collective effort by many on doing this Breather MOD.

I took quite some time to decide how I wanted to go about this mod. The major issue I had was the fact that I am not a fan of using barbed hoses or the red filter which Shadow-Warrior used. However, I saw ToledoFJ's post on how he purchased a kit which used pneumatic quick connect fittings. Having used them in the past for quite a bit of automation work I was sold that this was the way to go. These are air tight and less likely to leak than threaded or barbed connections. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the $200 price tag on the kit which Toledo had.

So I went about designing my on kit with manifold. It took quite some time to find and obtain all the parts for my design, but this is what I came up with.

The E-Locker ties into the Rear Diff 'T' and then is routed up to the jack compartment

The Transmission and Transfer Case are routed from the rear of the engine back along the passenger side frame and across the rear axle to the jack compartment.

The Manifold is mounted in the jack compartment and has a polyethylene breather (blue breather pictured) attached the the manifold which is vented to the atmosphere. I went with the polyethylene breather instead of the typical filters you see because it offers better filtration over the alternatives and makes drawing it water less likely.

I plan on putting silicone around the two grommets which the hoses go through to seal everything up. I may also add some heat shrink around each of the connects.

See less See more
#17 · (Edited)
Do you have any info on the parts (cost/part#'s/MFG.) you could share?
Great Job, very clean install. Do you have any info on the parts cost, part#'s, manufacturers' info. Thanks for posting, and in advance for the info.
GW
Can you tell us your source for the fittings ? Part numbers ? Cost of the extras your have ?
I don't have all the details as I was keeping track of everything on my work laptop which I left in the office this weekend. Basically I'm planning on making it a kit like CruiserLarry's dual battery kit or the 'bandi' mount. The main issue is I had to have a couple of the parts rapid prototyped (FDM) because they weren't available in the appropriate sizes. Luckily I've been able to bum extra space in the machine when they were running through some other people's orders at a place I used to intern.

#10 ·
Nice looking setup you have there.....

#13 ·
Beautiful job man.

:cheers:

-

#15 ·
Very clean install. The heat shrink is a great idea because those little pneumatic fittings come loose pretty easily.

Can you tell us your source for the fittings ? Part numbers ? Cost of the extras your have ?

#21 ·
Hey guys. I saw these vents in the edition of Petersen's 4wheel & offroad that had Shadow Warrior's Raptor featured in the "readers' rides" section. Page 89 in the lower right corner of the "New Products" section.

North East Xtreme Tech

They look like they are pretty inexpensive. I don't know if they'd work as part of the kit you're building or not. I like the blue filters we are using better, and I think they offer better protection. Just another option for SCUBA drivers. Again, nice work.

#22 ·
I saw those as well in the other thread. I like the aluminum construction. They won't work with my version since you'll need the rubber style hose and not pneumatic.

I agree with you on the filter. The blue polyethlylene filters definitetly offer better protection over the OEM cap and spring style which that link uses.

Either way as long as you get them raised its better than the OEM setup.

#24 ·
I did the rear part of the mod today and was looking at the front part and only could see one sitting on the top part of the tranny, didn't see the other, but anyway how did you get your hands down there to do the connections?

RR

#26 ·
I have on 07 AT, I will take a better look tomorrow, but how did you get you hands back there, did you pull the cover off the top of the engine?

RR

#29 ·
Great set up - especially the parts/fittings.

#30 ·
So is the main advantage of this over the standard setup (red filter(s) in the engine bay) the fact that it is less likely to leak because of the different tubing, and the blue filter lets less water in? I would think it wouldn't get enough fresh air up in the jack compartment, since that's inside the truck. But I am very interested.

#33 ·
remember, its not an air intake - its a breather. Air is air. And the blue filter will not let ANY water in.

I think the downfall of having the typical type small cone in the engine bay, is it is still able to get water in it in some cases.

Correct me if I am wrong.

(Got the kit from FJNewb, just waiting on getting some garage time to install it.):rocker:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.