Man-A-Fre Auxilary Tank Review

36K views 160 replies 43 participants last post by  J-Wagon 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
if this was dot approved id buy it in a second

#7 ·
I have tank still having lite issue. But love the added mileage between fill up

#8 ·
Awesome review. This tank has been one of three transformative mods for my FJC, along with the crawler box and the long travel front suspension. The tank also has a long (tortuous) and interesting development history, to boot.

#11 ·
Excellent and very accurate write-up!

I still love my MAF tank despite all of the aggravation I had over a year and a half since it was first installed with slow fill-ups and check lights, but after getting the most recent fix, the slow fill-ups are gone and I can fill up anywhere without getting extremely early (mid aux tank) click offs. :)

And, nothing beats the ability to drive from SF to LA w/o having to fill-up enroute! :clap:

The jury is still out on the check lights. I got one about 3 weeks after the fix was installed, but haven't gotten one for 2 weeks since then. So, we'll still have to see if that's really been "fixed" or not.

#17 ·
The jury is still out on the check lights. I got one about 3 weeks after the fix was installed, but haven't gotten one for 2 weeks since then. So, we'll still have to see if that's really been "fixed" or not.
Bad news . . . got another check light today, only a little over 2 weeks after the last one, which is a pretty typical pattern (of a check light ever 2-3 weeks, usually a day or 2 after a fill-up, and I just got a fill-up the other day) for me.:(

Not sure if the weather matters because I use to get them regardless of the temp, but I have been driving in cold weather in Tahoe between 10-40 F for the past week. In any event, after 2 check lights in the past 5 weeks, I consider the check light issue "unfixed" for me. However, that's a lot less annoying than the early click-off fill-up problem I also had before. So, I'm glad I had the fix done,since, at the very least, I'm able to fill up both tanks "normally" now. :)

#21 ·
Been over a month for me and I haven't had any codes yet. I haven't left either tank on empty overnight which I believe someone else said caused the codes to appear on their FJ.

Might try it out just to see if the latest 'fix' works.
My tanks are never empty and I usually only get the codes after a fill up when they are both FULL -- the opposite of what you're previously heard. I just carry a OBDII code reader in my FJ and hook it up to erase the codes when they pop up. So, like I said, it's not a big deal.

The bigger problem for me was the slow fill-ups and early click offs, which are gone now. My only worry for the future is whether the MAF tank will hold pressure to pass a CA smog test. Not due for that test until 2012.

#20 ·
Thanks for the info it will be very useful in making my decision.

#24 ·
I've had my tank for several months.I still have the "old" fill neck (installing the "new"version in a week or two). The codes are a minor pain, but easy to delete with a scan gauge. If someone stole my FJ, the first thing I'd do is install a new MAF tank, even before a winch or a lift. The extended range is a necessity here in the West.

#25 ·
Ay. Its funny that I can install two tanks, from the same manufacturing batch, on consecutive days, with the same parts (I put the kits together myself), and have one turn up codes and the other never have a problem.

I have the very original tank setup and occasionally get codes. No wuckers, just clear on the scanguage an I am off.

There was talk within the company of discontinuing the tank, but i *****ed until it was saved. However, the tank will be sold with the warning that "you may experience error lights", and as a result may not pass inspection if that is an issue in your county. Unfortunatly, at this stage, we have tried all we can to get rid of this issue, and for some it works some it doesnt, and if the error lights are a major concern we cannot stress enough that you should not buy this product.

That being said... error codes or not, I love my tank. And so do my buddies who always seem to run out of gas and need a quick fill from my aux tank (peice of hose on the outlet side of the fuel pump into a gas can works wonders)

Also, i highly recommend to anyone to get a scanguage. It not only gives you a lot of interesting data and a much - needed trip computer, but can also rear and clear codes that could appear, not only for the gas tank but many other reasons as well. Saves you that $90 the stealership charges to read your codes!

#28 ·
Ay. Its funny that I can install two tanks, from the same manufacturing batch, on consecutive days, with the same parts (I put the kits together myself), and have one turn up codes and the other never have a problem.

!

Ben,

Will this tank fit the 2010 FJ?

My understanding is that the frame was changed from the 09 to the 10 . . . but I don't know how extensive, whatever changes were made, are.

thanks,

bumper

#26 ·
Ben,
I think selling the tank with a disclaimer about the codes isn't a bad idea. I can understand being a little squeamish about selling a product that can create bad feelings about some, but if people know their truck may throw codes after the install, they are forewarned. IMHO, the scangauge is an indispensable tool.
BTW, I'm going to install my replacement fill neck, the threaded part added looks like the threads could be cleaned up...can you tell me what kind of tap to run in there? also, the fitting from my first MAF modified fill neck can be installed in there, right?
Thanks for great products AND service...

#29 ·
Ben,

BTW, I'm going to install my replacement fill neck, the threaded part added looks like the threads could be cleaned up...can you tell me what kind of tap to run in there? also, the fitting from my first MAF modified fill neck can be installed in there, right?
Thanks for great products AND service...
You got me on the thread size. Its the same as the original neck fitting so yes re-use that one.
Ben,

Will this tank fit the 2010 FJ?

My understanding is that the frame was changed from the 09 to the 10 . . . but I don't know how extensive, whatever changes were made, are.

thanks,

bumper
Honestly I havent seen a 10, so I am not sure. I would have to check for you - or you could send me picture o the frame from the rear bumper to the rear axle.

#30 ·
Thanks, Ben!!!

#36 ·
My question about the tank is safety. The Main tank is between the axels protecting it from a rear or frontal crash. The aux tank is just beyond the rear bumper. Would this not subject the gastank to a rupture if rear ended? Would an aftermarket steel bumber add to the safety? I would do it if the tank was better protected but it just seems vunerable next to the exahust and so close to the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.