Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Corey's FJ with a few mods!

244K views 421 replies 90 participants last post by  CabinCruiser 
#1 ·
First major expensive mod, the Clifford Alarm
http://www.clifford.com/matrix/responder/default.asp
Parts #s from Cartoys do not match up with the site, but mine has two remotes.
One plain remote, and the two way LCD one that acts as a pager too.
It also beeps when the alarm arms itself and disarms.

I also had a separate DEI battery backup alarm installed.
This way if a thief cuts the main battery wires to disconnect the Clifford, the battery backup alarm will wail straight for about 4 hours on its own internal battery.

It is hooked up full time to the main 12v battery to charge it, and if it senses no power, it will wail, and it is just as loud as the siren for the Clifford.
It has a key hole on top to turn it off for when you go to get serviced and they may need to disconnect your main battery.
If you do not disarm it, it will wail when they disconnect your main juice.

Both are state of the art, and better than my DEI Python 650 I had in the 4Runner.

OK, on with a few visible mods.
The Bandi CB antenna mount.
Mount just put on
With 4' Firestik II antenna attached
Unit by itself

Cargo box from the 4Runner.
It fits nicely, but the tie downs in the back of the rig do not match up like in the 4Runner.
There are four of them, but I will have to do some thinking here to secure it.
Do not want it rolling in case the shiny side of the rig ever does a 180.
The cargo box

That is all I am doing today, will work on more over the weekend.
Hope to get the Bentup sliderz installed, and also the Slee/Yakima brackets for the Hi-Lift jack put up on the roof rack.

See less See more
#240 ·
Thanks guy's.

Just installed the new molle pack.
Once it is mounted via its two straps, you can grab the bag and separate it from its Velcro backing, thus leaving just the mount hooked to the rack, and you take the bag with you which has a carrying strap on top of it.

#242 ·
Got Boot?

Thank you very much!

After all these years I chucked the yellow aircraft tubing protector cap I had on the bottom of my Powertank and put a tank boot on it.
The new boot protects the lower portion of the tank better than the cap I was using.

Part used:
Tank Boot, (Fits the 10# and 15# tanks)
Part Number: TBT-6090

#245 ·
HalGuard HG250R Fire Extinguisher Relocated 12-31-2011

Since I moved the Powertank earlier this month I lost my location for my HalGuard HG250R fire extinguisher.
I decided I did not need the el cheapo Kidde in the rig anymore since it is only for outside fires, you never want to use that type on your rig as it is bad for your wiring inside the rig and underneath the hood.

I am going to throw the Kidde into my camping gear footlocker to battle outside fires with.

I ended up putting the HalGuard in the same location as the Kidde one was.
I just had to take out the plastic tray over the wheel well and drill new bigger holes, and used the old hardware from when the HalGuard was mounted to the old Powertank bracket.

The HalGuard one is for battling fires inside of your rig and underneath of the hood since it is a "clean agent", and will not ruin your wiring.

#246 ·
Pioneer AVIC Z140 DVD/Navigation headunit installed 4-28-2012

Went to Cartoys today to get my Sirius tuner diagnosed as it was only playing out the right channel.
I suspected a loose connector, and I was right.

While I was there I looked at the newest GPS/DVD offering from Pioneer, and I decided to replace my Pioneer AVIC D3 from 2007 with the much improved Z140 which has built in bluetooth for phone calls, transferring Pandora music from my Droid Bionic to the stereo, voice recognition for playing songs off of the iPod, making phone calls, and entering an address into the GPS/Maps system.

Since the older Pioneer did not have voice recognition, you had to enter an address manually if you wanted to navigate somewhere.
My Droid Bionic with Google Maps does a much better job since I just have to tell the phone where I want to go, and it tells me how to get there.
Now with this new Pioneer AVIC Z140, it can do the same.

This deck is a huge improvement.
For a complete listing of what the deck can do so I do not have to type it all out here, here is the link from Cartoys page.
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH DVD w/Built-In Nav, iPod & BT - Pioneer - Car Toys

Here are a few pictures, and also a 1080 video I shot using my GoPro HD 2 camera.

Video

https://vimeo.com/41210885

#249 ·
Re: Pioneer AVIC Z140 DVD/Navigation headunit installed 4-28-2012

Went to Cartoys today to get my Sirius tuner diagnosed as it was only playing out the right channel.
I suspected a loose connector, and I was right.

While I was there I looked at the newest GPS/DVD offering from Pioneer, and I decided to replace my Pioneer AVIC D3 from 2007 with the much improved Z140 which has built in bluetooth for phone calls, transferring Pandora music from my Droid Bionic to the stereo, voice recognition for playing songs off of the iPod, making phone calls, and entering an address into the GPS/Maps system.

Since the older Pioneer did not have voice recognition, you had to enter an address manually if you wanted to navigate somewhere.
My Droid Bionic with Google Maps does a much better job since I just have to tell the phone where I want to go, and it tells me how to get there.
Now with this new Pioneer AVIC Z140, it can do the same.

This deck is a huge improvement.
For a complete listing of what the deck can do so I do not have to type it all out here, here is the link from Cartoys page.
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH DVD w/Built-In Nav, iPod & BT - Pioneer - Car Toys

Here are a few pictures, and also a 1080 video I shot using my GoPro HD 2 camera.

Video

https://vimeo.com/41210885
Nice deck improvement!

#247 ·
Nice video! How well does the microphone work with it mounted on the steering wheel? I have the factory bluetooth microphone and it's mounted under the radio. Thought about moving it to the steering wheel. The deck looks clean!
BTW, I now will be listening to Megadeth all day tomorrow. Forgot how much I love Dave's voice.

#248 ·
Thanks!
Have not had a chance yet to try out the phone using the mic, but will try today.

I like how you can use the touch screen too with Pandora just like on your phone to thumbs up a track or thumbs down to reject it from playing again in the future.

Yes, I am a Megadeth fan, I like his playing style on guitar and also his voice.

Going to have to try an AC/DC DVD I have too from one of their concerts to see how it sounds.

Also going to experiment today with the HD radio part, as I see a few local stations I sometimes listen too have it.

I was not even planning on going with a new deck yesterday until I saw all the extra features this had over my older Pioneer unit.

#251 ·
Thanks guy's.

Now that I have had the deck for a few days I can say the audio quality is far above the older AVIC D3.
The spatial sound is better, and quad stereo imagining is far better.

Some FM stations too broadcast in HD, and they even sound better than regular FM since this deck has HD Radio built in.

I am using a pair of Focals in the doors with their tweeters up in the dash, and the rear stock speakers were replaced years ago when I got my amp.
I think the roof speakers were taken out of the loop when they wired in the amp.

#255 ·
Dangit, I do not have my Ebay ID or password with me here at work, and you have to be singed in to report this crap.
Have to wait until I get home.

#256 ·
I have contacted Ebay with my personal website so they can see that he stole my picture, and it misrepping the Chinese knockoff snorkel as a Safari snorkel made in Australia and imported to the states via ARB USA.

I have been in contact too with Jim Jackson, president of ARB USA.

#257 ·
Ad is still up even after me reporting it via the computer last week.
I just got off the phone with them, and I explained in great detail to the guy what is going on here, and I should get a duplicate of what he is submitting to my email later.

He agreed this guy is in violation of fraud.

#258 ·
Yakima Clips 23H Might Mount FJCruiser

Great post! Thanks for sharing. Cant wait to get my hands on these 23H mounts. After doing much searching this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Planning to do a fork clamp for my mountain bike. Of course, now that I'm aware of these clamps the possibilities are limitless.

I also agree the OEM rack is great. 1.) its aluminum 2.) lightweight 3.) more corrosion resistant than steel 4.) no noise or whistling issues 5.) looks great

:rocker:

#259 ·
I just threw my stock rack in the trash a few weeks back.
I had it up on a few forums for free, and not one bite, so out it went.
But yes, the stock rack is very capable, but to high for a roof top tent IMO.

#260 ·
ArkPak Installed 9-14-2013

A few years back I bought the Goal Zero Ranger 350 Battery/Inverter kit and it worked out great.
Bought five of their three watt LED lanterns too that you can daisy chain off of each other where you just plug one light into the battery only.

This year the Goal Zero battery would no longer hold a charge.
As soon as you take it off of the charger, it would start to discharge, and it would be dead within a few days, not good.
I looked on Amazon to source a new one, and a lot of the reviews said the same thing, the batteries did not last very long.

I was reading in one of my Overland Journals about a new system out of Australia that was basically a nice battery box with charge ports built into it, 150 watt inverter, and you supply your own group 31 battery.
AGMs seem to be the favor since they do not spill, and I bought an Exide marine one listed in the links below after seeing that was the one ArkPak was using in their videos.

When the ArkPak was first introduced, it was for 240V overseas, but they started to produce 120V versions for us on this side of the world.
You can read up on all of the specs right here.
ArkPortablePower.com. ArkPak

This was installed in my rig on top of the cargobox, and it can charge when it is in the vehicle by plugging in the optional 12V to 12V charger I bought, or from 110V at home, and you can if you want leave it hooked up at home all the time since it has a built in Smart Charger to keep from frying the battery.

With Goal Zeros products you do not need a charge controller since their batteries have one built in, but you do with the ArkPak if you are going to charge it up via your solar panel(s).
I went with the Goal Zero Guardian 12V Charge Controller since it will hook up to my Powerfilm 60W foldable solar panel, and the other end had large battery clips on it that you can hook to the ArkPak or even your own battery in your rig.
My rigs main battery is charged up by another charge controller I installed a few years back when using solar when camping to keep the battery topped off when using the ARB fridge/freezer for extended times when out camping.

Links For ArkPak
Both sites have some very cool videos to watch too of the ArkPak in action.
Main Australian site
US site to order from

Goal Zero Guardian 12V Charge Controller

Cable to mate a Powerfilm solar panel to the Goal Zero Guardian-12V Charge Controller from Expedition Off Road
I do not believe Goal Zero offers this cable, only Expedition Off Road where I bought mine from.

Here are some pictures from the installation in my FJ Cruiser earlier this morning.

All parts laid out showing the battery, ArkPak, 12V and 110V chargers, and the Guardian Charge Controller.

Installed on the brackets/mounting kit.

You can see the green LED on the 12V plug that powers the charger for it.

12V cable plugged into the charging port.

One bracket at each end of the box.

You loosen a screw on the mounting plates and slide its tongue into the bracket on the ArkPak, then retighten it.

Comparison of the Goal Zero Extreme Ranger 350 battery/inverter and the ArkPak.
One is considerably bigger, abut also way more powerful.

Three of Goal Zeros LED lamps hooked up to the ArkPak.

LED panel showing battery voltage and indicating a full charge.
The battery I received from Amazon last night was shipped from Exide this month, so it has not been sitting in a warehouse discharging for a long time.

Mock setup (notice the covered wingnuts on the ArkPaks external battery connections) showing how you would connect the Guardian Charge Controller to the ArkPak and to my Powerfilm 60 watt foldable solar panel.

This is a very well built unit, and I like that you can replace the battery should it ever go bad.
The whole package including the Exide battery and ArkPak is pushing over 80 lbs, I can feel it when I lift it :D

This will be great for running the LED lamps in camp, charging up batteries for my various electronics, and having a third backup battery.

#261 ·
Looks great, I have been following along. Thanks for all the info! :cheers:

So what will you do w/ the GZ 350 & Universal Inverter?

Who makes the black storage boxes? I like the idea of having all the gear in one spot.

Attachments

#262 ·
#263 ·
Oh yes, I've seen the 12V adapters for the Inverter. Good call.

I've got a chance to pick up an Extreme 350 & UI for $185, so I'm going to pull the trigger and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the case review. :cheers:

#264 ·
Springtail Folding Rear Door MPAC Molle Rack Installed 11-16-2013

I have a few other Springtail products in my FJ Cruiser, and a while back I saw on fjcruiserforums site that Doc had released a new rear door rack that now can fold down into a table.
Doc comes up with the coolest ideas for our FJ Cruisers, so thanks Doc for another cool product!

This is perfect for setting a small camp stove on to cook with if you take a short trip to the mountains without taking your main cook stove you would use when camping.
Or if you are a minimalist camper who likes to pack light, this can serve as your kitchen prep/cook area, and also as an area to eat at.

I like to do day trips sometimes to explore to find new areas to camp at, and this will come in handy if I want to cook up some Top Ramen, Mountain House freeze dried, etc.
A nice hot meal would beat out a cold sandwich any day, especially if it is cold outside.

I was able to get on all four bags like my old rack, but they interfere (you just have to move the sides of the bags inwards) with the knobs you turn to let the rack down to turn it into a table.
I will more than likely just use the two bigger bags and one of the small ones.

Here are a few pics of the new setup.

Folded up, knobs are hidden since I still have four bags on it

Down in the table position

I may look for a narrower cutting board, as there is room to store one inside of the racks recessed area

My other Springtail products.

My first Springtail MPAC rack

My Springtail side mount rack for my Powertank

Links

FJ Cruiser Rear Door Folding MOLLE Rack Combo

FJ Cruiser Rear Door Folding MOLLE Rack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.