Kamp rite tent cot - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment This forum is for discussing camping equipment.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Kamp rite tent cot

Quote:
tisilverFJ previously said: View Post
Is there anyway to stake it down? It gets pretty windy in Colorado. This would be great to have when going on trips by my self and getting to the camp site late at night. Last Cruise Moab I got in at 1 in the morning and didn't want to wake people up by setting up a tent. I just went to sleep in the FJ.
Just went through some of the worst winds I've seen in the desert; I just put a strap on each side of the think and strapped it to a wheel on each side of the FJ. This thing is great.

The things you own end up owning you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Forum Master

I purchased an oversize Tent-cot last year and only used it a few times before selling it. I liked sleeping in it and the quick setup but found it too heavy and awkward to stow. Had to carry it on roof-rack and found bag was not waterproof, causing mildew and rust.

Recently found a new Tent-cot called the Compact Model. Folds up to about 8x8x40" and weighs around 20#. On paper it looked perfect for my needs but after receiving it I decided to send it back. Much slower to set up and take down is quite tricky. I ripped mine trying to fold it and there was nothing in the instructions cautioning about this. In fact the instructions were terrible: 3 sheets but only one applied to the compact model. Anyway it's going back to gander Mtn where it was found at $140.

Can NOT reccomend this model of the Tent-cot.

Ace

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
#23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago off craigslist, new in an unopend box for $50. It's the Original size which should work perfect for me. Now I need the raincover and I'm set. I did set it up and it was pretty comfortable, ready to get out and use it.
#24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
FJ FunJunkie previously said: View Post
it is waterproof with a rain fly for extra measures, The comfort is great, I've heard of some people throwing in a 1 inch mattress pad that folds up with it for extra comfort, but mine was just fine with just a sleeping bag.
Tested the rainfly during a desert monsoon this weekend... Pretty warm with it on but worked like a champ!

The things you own end up owning you.
#25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Forum Veteran

TRD SE, Full BudBuilt Skids, All Pro Link & Shock Skids, Diff. Armor, Spidertrax w.s., ICON Extended travel CO + Total Chaos UCA's, Lucrum Winch Mt., RP Synth. Oils, BFG 255 85 16 M/T KM2s (Mt CHop), 'Dirty Parts' DB; Scuba Driver Breather mod., Cyclone air cleaner, CB/Bandi-mount & K40, Magellan GPS, Inverter, PIAA 540 Fog Lights, 2007 FJ Summit Memories!
"FJSaurus "
TLCA Member # 17635
#26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Forum Veteran

Been using mine now for about a year on several trips to different places including the coast. Nice being above the ground yet not have to climb down a ladder if I have to take a leak in the middle of the night. Have the oversize which is great for me and gear or the girlfriend. So easy to set up.

2007 Silver Titanium, AT, TRD CAI/SuperCharger, ARB front and rear bumpers, WARN 8000 winch, Full Ricochet Skids, Total Chaos 2"LT/MetalTech rear LT, AllPro Sliders, AllPro Airdam, Fourtreks mounts, Highlift Extreme, MPAC rear and side, Powertank, Dirty Part's Dual Battery kit, BFG 285/70/17 AT or MT's depending on my mood
#27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM

I had one of the oversize Tent Cot models and used it several times, but found the condensation was way too much on cooler nights; I had water dripping on my face at 2 am last time I used it, at about 25 degrees outside. So I gave it away. It's probably my own fault for having my Labrador retriever squeeze in there with me.

It's big and heavy (though not near as bad as the Cabela's model), fits great on the stock roof rack, is really easy to set up, and you will have no worries about rocks on the ground. Some people complain about feeling like they are sleeping in a coffin with Tent Cots, but I just found it cozy, if damp.

You don't have to put the rain fly on it, and that would solve the condensation problem, except when it rains or when you want some warmth. I really wanted it to work, as I love the concept, but couldn't solve the condensation issue.

So now I've got an OzTent RV3 and a Roll-a-Cot for camping out of the truck. That combination is luxurious.

FJCFJC

2007 Black Cherry 6MT, Rear Lockers, A-Trac, OEM rock rails, OEM Rack, TRD Exhaust, Bud-Built skids, Manafre HD Lower Links, TLC Link Skids, Icon Stage 1 Suspension, Toytech Diff Drop, WAAG Drop-In Rack, 16" Wheeler's HD steel wheels, 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, PowerTank, Expedition One Kodiak front bumper, Titan 12K Winch, body mount chop, bugs1961's beeperectomy, lots of desert pinstripes
#28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Just have to leave the doors unzipped a tad at the tops for the condensation issue, learned that after my first time out.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
#29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 AM

Tried that; no luck. Maybe I am a heavy breather.

FJCFJC

2007 Black Cherry 6MT, Rear Lockers, A-Trac, OEM rock rails, OEM Rack, TRD Exhaust, Bud-Built skids, Manafre HD Lower Links, TLC Link Skids, Icon Stage 1 Suspension, Toytech Diff Drop, WAAG Drop-In Rack, 16" Wheeler's HD steel wheels, 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, PowerTank, Expedition One Kodiak front bumper, Titan 12K Winch, body mount chop, bugs1961's beeperectomy, lots of desert pinstripes
#30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Forum Regular

I have had the original style for one for almost 5 years now.Used it for trips that gf does not go on and there is the threat of rain or mean bugs.I also carry it on a week long raft trip,5 times now.I would buy another one in a heart beat.Cabelas makes one now also,with a moon roof.It is built stronger and shows in it's weight.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.