Let's talk Dutch Ovens! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment This forum is for discussing camping equipment.

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Let's talk Dutch Ovens!

Making plans for our June run and I want a dutch oven. One of the guys last year had one and made a cobbler in it that was better than anything mama used to make! (sorry, mom)

Anyway, I'm looking at one at Bass Pro that is under $100. Any suggestions/experience? Any "must cook" recipes to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Re: Let's talk Dutch Ovens!

Quote:
Vegas_Nick previously said: View Post
Making plans for our June run and I want a dutch oven. One of the guys last year had one and made a cobbler in it that was better than anything mama used to make! (sorry, mom)

Anyway, I'm looking at one at Bass Pro that is under $100. Any suggestions/experience? Any "must cook" recipes to share?
Get a lodge brand! Sportsman's warehouse has a huge selection if you have one in Vegas. I think you can do a lot better than $100

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
post #3 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I bought the Lodge 5 quart.

Dutch Ovens

They have them with or without feet. I chose one large enough to cook a chicken in.

You can find them used on ebay for better prices. I got mine at Gander Mountain new and it was not expensive, something like less than $50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

X3 on Lodge. They'll last forever, and once properly seasoned the performance can't be beat. They claim to come pre-seasoned. No. That comes with a lot of use and gentle cleaning. The interior of mine is better than Teflon. Keep it oiled between use! Never scrub them out. Mine has never seen soap. Just a gentle wipe with a nylon Dobie pad and water, then dry and re-oil inside and out.
post #5 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Smalldog previously said: View Post
Get a lodge brand! Sportsman's warehouse has a huge selection if you have one in Vegas. I think you can do a lot better than $100
Definitely, they have classes on diff techniques with dutch ovens and learn recipes!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Supporting Member

Stupid question: I thought Dutch oven lids have a lip around that is there to hold a shallow layer of coals so that the heat comes from above and below at the same time. The photo above shows a sloped lid. What am I missing?
Dvsjw(betterhalf) likes this.
post #7 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Not what I was thinking.........
MissFJ, F Joy, Tyler J and 1 others like this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #8 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Smalldog previously said: View Post
Sweet! I have one just about 2 miles from the house. Will check it out! Those are pre-seasoned, right?
post #9 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Texas Hill Country previously said: View Post
Stupid question: I thought Dutch oven lids have a lip around that is there to hold a shallow layer of coals so that the heat comes from above and below at the same time. The photo above shows a sloped lid. What am I missing?
The one that HazComm had on our trip was like that. He literally buried it in the coals of the fire.
post #10 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
I have a V8!!

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5521 Post(s)
Garage

Lodge is a great brand and a lot of people like the Camp Chef ones too. The oven with out the feet and the domed lid like in the photo is a Dutch Oven and that style is normally used in the house as it can be set on a burner or put in the oven and even hung over a fire. The ones with legs also have a flat lid with a rim/lip on them and are used over charcoal hence why they have the feet and the lid with rim is flat so it holds the charcoal. Some people with the regular style make stands or use lid holders under their ovens and that lets them put them over charcoal. The lids are usually interchangeable between the regular and camp also so you could just purchase an extra lid.

For recipes just do a search for dutch ovens, dutch oven recipes, or dutch oven societies. There are thousands of recipes out there. There may be a dutch oven group or society in your area too. The Boy Scouts have recipes on their sites along with many other sites and forums too. Lodge sells cookbooks and Amazon or other places have a bunch of books. Some of the best cookbooks are the small ones made for fund raising such as from churches, Scout Troops, clubs etc.

Here's a good forum. www.camp-cook.com :: Index

They have info on how to season your cast iron and keep it in good shape. Information on refurbishing old cast iron, even rusty, to be reused. Tips and tricks. Recipes. They also run the tiny teardrops and travel trailers site with info on cargo trailer to camper conversions, homemade trailers, etc. The link is at the top of the page.

Using the ovens over coals on tables or on the ground works good. Another way to use them that works nice too is with a Volcano stove. I have used them on my older non-collapsible charcoal versions, both the large and small, and they work great. I have the new collapsible one with the propane setup, but haven't used it yet. I mostly used them for beans where I just sat them in the Volcano and let them cook, but you could do them with coals on the lids for other stuff like cobblers and breads or whatever you needed to have top heat to brown things. Volcano grills

I have some recipes and cookbooks saved on my computer, but some are PDF files that I don't know how to post and some are word files that somehow converted to PDF files and on my computer I have to open wordpad or something like that to see them now and the Adobe reader won't open them so I'm not sure how to post those either. If someone knows how to do this, I'd be glad to try and post them. I could also look up certain recipes for you and copy them possibly.

I grew up around cast iron skillets and grills but didn't see a dutch oven until later on. I used to help my Nephews' Scout Leader with their cookouts. He had been doing Dutch Oven cookouts with them for around 35 years at the time. Man that guy could cook. Not much different than cooking in an oven at home, except for learning how to regulate the temperature and times with charcoal.

Some other little things that are nice are either lining the ovens with foil, parchment, or the store bought liners when cooking some things especially if they are sticky as this makes clean up a whole lot easier.

I feel like I’ve been rode hard and hung up wet
Swallowed by a mule and crapped off a cliff
I drank enough whiskey to fill up a lake
Woke up this morning with a big ass headache.....Justin Moore

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.