Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Sleeping in my Cascadia RTT and dealing with the hinge

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Southeast_Outfitters 
#1 ·
How do you guys deal with the hinge in your back while sleeping??

I first noticed it when climbing up in the tent. I probably had all of my weight half way between the ladder and my Baja rack, the hinge kind of popped out of place. It was easy to pop back in from below the tent but I feel like it was out when my fiance and I were sleeping. Do I need to shift the tent over so the hinge is supported by the edge of the rack? Right now it's centered.

I am 5'10 170 and my fiancé is a lot smaller then me. I believe the tent is Mt. Ranier

Thnks

#2 ·
Not sure what you are having a problem with. But I'm going to guess you mean where the two halves come together and create the sleeping platform. The hinges are one on each side where the poles converge. Those should not be in your back unless you are doing something weong!
As far as the extrusions along the center...if you have your ladder adjusted so that they do not fully lock...then yea...they are gonna separate when you put any weight in the center of the tent. Check that they are seated fully when set up. Also make sure your mattress or straps are not caught in between.
Finally , depending on how you have it mounted and if you remove the cover completely or not, your cover can sometimes prevent the one half from opening far enough so that the extrusions DO fit together properly.

But, they should not be coming apart if set up properly.

Wish you the best!

#3 ·
Could be several reasons but if you have one of their wider tents like the Mt. Rainer, that's an issue you'll likely face since the wider bases do flex a lot. Your easiest fix is to have someone underneath the tent when you open it so they press up the middle of the outer hinge profile to ensure it locks into place. If that doesn't fix your problem, check the canopy hinge alignment to make sure both hinges are mounted at equal distances from the inside corner.

We designed Tepui's Ruggedized base to be very stiff from the outset by using our own inner frame design, high density foam panels & heavy diamond-plate aluminum sheet to prevent flexing. Granted it adds a few more pounds to your tent but you'll never encounter a problem like this.

Attachments

#4 ·
Yeah sorry maybe hinge wasn't the best word but you guys understood what I was trying to say. The problem is the flex in the sleeping platform on the side that hangs off the vehicle if not fitted together properly and even when I "pop it back in" It will pop out if too much weight is over the area. That's what I am trying to get rid of. The strap suggestion is a good one they do sometimes get stuck in between.

Nice looking tent S_O!

#5 ·
Even though the wider tent bases can & will flex, the base hinge should never pop out once its fully engaged with ladder extended & locked on flat ground. Do both bases fully engage on each side like the photo below when the tent is open without any weight inside?

With what your saying it, it sounds as though your bases is not fully engaged which could be from several reasons:

1. Base halves are not aligned properly which is probably due to the canopy frame hinges not being installed in the proper location.

2. Tent canvas is too tight either from poor sewing or the canopy frame poles are too long &/or not installed properly.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.