Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Show me your awnings

102K views 159 replies 69 participants last post by  mykee50 
#1 ·
Really jonesin to get an awning for this summer. I like the big ARB one that mounts to the side. And if you have have one that you'd like some $$ for let me know!

#96 ·
Bought my 4 ft awning (barely used) a couple of months ago.
I love this thing!

Attachments

#99 ·
Well you did not buy one of that brand, as Campinglab has been out of business for several years, and that is my FJ Cruiser in the picture.

#108 ·
I forgot to update this thread with my new awning I picked up a while back.
It is the Eezi-Awn Bat 270, bought it from Paul May at Equipt Expeditions in Utah.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/7401-coreys-fj-few-mods-13.html#post8379953

You can leave the legs up on a non windy day

Or deploy them if wind is expected, and they can be staked down too

Relaxing a bit after doing some work on the rig to turn the Rotopax sideways and lower them so the awnings arms would not him them a few weeks back

#109 ·
In light of some of the awning topics that have arisen, and the fact that I have posted a few awning pics in the RTT section, I am going to resurrect this dedicated awnings thread.

Got a cool addition to the AluCab Shadow awning coming tonight so I'll post some before pics now...

John

Attachments

#110 ·
Very nice, I need to update this thread with some actual camping pics of my new Eezi-Awn Bat 270 awning from a trip last August.
I really like the awing, and so easy to setup.

#111 · (Edited)
Very nice, I need to update this thread with some actual camping pics of my new Eezi-Awn Bat 270 awning from a trip last August.
I really like the awing, and so easy to setup.
Why did you choose an awning mounted on the driver's side vs. passenger? Seems like you'd want it on the passenger side, so when the rear door is open you do not have to walk around it to access the interior...?

Edit: Looks like it would interfere with access to your RTT. :thinkerg:

#117 ·
Is there an awning that goes over the RTT... so when it's raining you have a chance to take off your wet rain gear prior to getting into the little RTT...

Wouldn't your bedding get wet when you get in?

Reactions: Corey
#118 ·
Nothing that goes over a hard shell RTT. A soft sided RTT can come with an extended vestibule and annex room though. This would allow you to come and go out of tent into the annex room bone dry.

The only option I have seen online for a direct, covered, shot from tent to under awning is for James Baroud tents and awnings. They developed a "tunnel" of sorts that connects the tent door/ladder down thru a hole in the awning. Only internet rumors as I have not see one in real time.

John

Attachments

#120 ·
Corey,
It might just be you and I posting in here for a while :)

Never knew Autohome had those options... although I never go to the country of mfg website, ha. Those are some cool offerings and I dig the annex room or the no-walls annex.

My AluCab has an overhang at the rear of the tent, which isn't too helpful for occupants coming and going, but it provides that nice level of coverage once inside for the evening. I would hope AluCab might think about this option for the sides in a future model, as well as a telescoping ladder. I have some crossbars on top of my tent that I could possible use to secure a cover to the ground, but I'm hesitant to do anything to it that's going to create more time/hassle in deployment or take-down since that's the whole point of these things... easy up and easy down.

John

Attachments

#122 ·
Corey,
It might just be you and I posting in here for a while :)

Never knew Autohome had those options... although I never go to the country of mfg website, ha. Those are some cool offerings and I dig the annex room or the no-walls annex.

John
That setup you posted after this one is HUGE :D
Reminds me of an add a room I had on an old tent trailer in the early 80s my X and I had.
You can live in there.

The one picture I posted above with the woman climbing the ladder under the awing/tarp thing I actually had, but never had a chance to use it.
It was stored in a closet, and somehow it got mildew all over it, I had to pitch it, so $$$ wasted.

#121 ·
So here's the new Wall Kit from AluCab... really makes the entire awning look huge.

Attachments

#126 ·
Something that’s odd to me is when I look at the Alu Cab @Basil has it looks shorter than yours @darkhorse13 I’ve looked at both at different angles and it certainly looks shorter on Basil’s rig. I know they only sale one size so I can’t figure out what the deal is.

Attachments

#127 · (Edited)
Alu-Cab might have changed it a little bit over the years. His is definitely a good 2 years older than mine. I know they changed the bag color.

Here are the best direct side shots I have for you. Appears to be the same length as my old Rhino Rack Foxwing. I mean most guys don't mind a little extra length right?

Per mfg website:
Alu-Cab Shadow closed length = 102 inches
Foxwing closed length = 100 inches

Attachments

#135 ·
This photo is pretty much the driving force for me, I showed this to my little wife and her eyes lit up.

This just looks so comfortable and I think adds a bit of coziness and a cool factor to the FJ in rugged environs, it’s like wearing a smoking jacket in a submarine. :smoker:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.