Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Roof rack - wire mesh deck + Ricochet air dam

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  The_Freeman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello folks.

I like camping(fishing) and want to share what I did.

I was getting tired of loading and unloading my camping equipment on standard FJ roof rack. Wife, two kids, and mother-in-law want comfort and lots of things such as tents and sleeping bags. But unfortunately is too much for small off road vehicle :)

While ago I installed Ricochet airdam FJ Cruiser Air Dam and regular Hella ligts and LED light on the back, and now I decided to do something to make camping life easier with the roof rack what I have. I did't want to buy something "Brand-name". I wanted to save time and money.
I had to do something with space I need. :)

Got this item - storage deck, from Ebay Wire Mesh Deck 48"Wx36"D | eBay and some hardware from Home Depot

Wire mesh is epoxy paint which I think is little better. Size is 36x48 inch

It was little pita to install all parts but nothing serious for regular Home Depot visitor.

Stock crossbars was pushed to the back and using self tap screws placed properly. Just have a gap between roof and mesh.

Hope that helps to get some space from stock rack . If I missed similar thread , sorry . Glad to see other cheap options.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
That's a great DIY mod!!
Looks great too.
:cheers:

#7 ·
Gorgeous. I am more than likely going to do this now that I have someone to talk to it about lol. Job well done. I'll be bothering you soon for tips

#10 ·
"If you build it they will come..."

If you have a better rack, you'll start using it. Not the other way around >:D

#9 ·
I thought that decking looked familiar. Pretty sure it's the same stuff I have hanging from my garage ceiling. With Amazon Prime free shipping this might be an option for some. I can't find a 48"x36" but you could settle for something smaller, or buy larger and cut it down to size. Home Depot also carries these in-store.

HyLoft Ceiling Rack

And personally, I'm digging the white color. Will make it stealth on my Iceberg White roof! :rocker:

#16 ·
It was tested today. I didn't stand on the middle but if I put additional metal bar I could stand on the center .

Also, if I need it I can always change aluminum brackets to iron brackets and add more bars.

My weight is 220 lb :smile

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
I used aluminum bar 1.5x1/8x36 and bench vise , bent little by little. I had pluming plastic pipe to make the same radius and measured size and length what I need first.
For brackets on the middle I used 2 inch wide bar. Then I painted it.

Middle brackets are much stronger , I suggested to do all of them the same type. ( picture below)

To hold metal mesh on brackets I use steel clamps and stainless screws (from place I work) , but you can do many different ways.

Hope that helps.

I have bench vise on your my computer desk , it helps me a lot:smile

Also I order rubber net with hooks to hold my stuff on it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.