Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Chinaman Gulch

7K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  wixo 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there any interest in hitting up Chinaman Gulch in the near future? I only got to do half of the trail before the rain came in and I had to turn around. I would like to get a small group going, get there early and be able to also spend some time watching people run Carnage Canyon after the loop.

Update: Sunday, August 16th at 9am, meet up at the parking lot at the entrance of Carnage and Chinaman.

I will be in the FJ pictured....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Can Chinaman's be completed with a stock FJ w/ 285's?

If so I am completely in .. We are actually hitting Mt Antero this Sunday, Aug.2.. any and all are welcome.

Is there any interest in hitting up Chinaman Gulch in the near future? I only got to do half of the trail before the rain came in and I had to turn around. I would like to get a small group going, get there early and be able to also spend some time watching people run Carnage Canyon after the loop.

#7 ·
Was up Mt. Antero this past weekend. A good ride all the way except some snow at the very top which will probably be gone by the time you get there. Unlike my past experiences up there, it did not rain or thunderstorm in the afternoon. Clear, beautiful and cold. We went up around 1 or 2 PM and met many coming down that I wouldn't want to have met on the upper switchbacks. The upper road seems narrower than what I remember from the last time I went up which was a long time ago.

#8 ·
It's doable with 33's but I would recommend skids and sliders. I wouldn't want to be on that trail without them. A few others have done it without skids and had no problems. One of the 80's that went with us last time I went didn't have skids, sliders, or lockers and he did good. he took easier lines and watched it close as to not smash a door. It's a fun trail.

#10 ·
I have 34s, a nose high adjusted Icon "3 inch lift" setup, Demello bumpers, rock sliders and skids which all help the approach angle and bad wheel placement. A better drive then I could do it with less safety equipment for sure. I would be happy to winch anyone up and over obstacles if need be, I could use the winching practice!

#13 ·
Sorry for being MIA, I am getting my truck aligned tomorrow and would like to setup a Saturday morning trail run if there is enough interest. I may just grab a hotel in BV the night before rather than camp so I don't have to have my equipment rigged to the roof during the run.

I can do this Saturday or next Saturday if anyone is interested!

#15 ·
Nice writeup JB!
I really enjoyed running Chinaman Gulch as it has a lot to offer. I think it is one of the most all encompassing trails in Colorado. Yes, quite a bit of it is technical, but there are great views of the Collegiate Peaks as well. I would be game to run this trail again once I get my skids put back on.

Reactions: crazysanman
#17 ·
Let's plan something for next weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, though Saturday would be preferable to avoid traffic coming back into the Denver area after wheeling. I am also open to doing more trails before or after depending on everyone's availability.

#24 ·
That's the gnarly spot where the buggy was in my earlier photo, note the matching green spraypaint on the downed tree:

Were you there? I'm assuming at this point that the truck was winched over that last rock? I hope they had good skidplates.

#27 · (Edited)
So, is it worth it to run Carnage Canyon if the FJ is just getting winched through the entire thing? It doesn't sound like something that I'd enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.