Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1st Annual Rocky Mountain FJ Cruiser Roundup

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dfyffe 
#1 · (Edited)

HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Our registration for the the 1st Annual Rocky Mountain FJ Cruiser Round Up is open.

What does this mean?

The event will be held during the Labor Day Holiday weekend in Buena Vista, Colorado on Sept 3-5, 2016. We are doing everything possible to keep costs low and maximize the fun for the entire family. With registration you will receive a catered dinner on both Saturday and Sunday evenings with live music from DJ Jack Bottorf, planned trail runs for Saturday and Sunday, a commemorative glass mug, a cool lanyard with the group logo and your name badge, an incredible program book with information on the trails we plan to run, and opportunities to buy limited edition swag.

We are partnering with several of our preferred vendors/sponsors to attend, share some product information, and support our raffle/give away. Some of the companies planning to attend or support include Toytec, RCI, Expedition One, Insain Fab, Hefty Fabworks, RSG Offroad, GZila Designs to name a few of the committed, as I expect more to join. Please visit the website to learn more on Saturday morning after 10 am. Based on estimates, we are expecting upwards of 70+ rigs and more than 125 people. So be sure to reserve your spot! There are a number of lodging options for the event including hotels and camping. I have reserved a spot at the KOA campground as have some of the vendors- it is only 2-3 minutes from the Round Up Head Quarters near the community center and park.

Here is the link for lodging and the link for the group website.Upon registering, we will contact you for payment through email via paypal. Please let us know if you have questions. FJs will be given preferential registration for only the 1st week, and it will then be open to all Toyotas.

Lodging Site - Lodging in Buena Vista

Registration Site - Colorado FJ Cruisers

See less See more
#4 ·
A quick description of the trail runs for this event:

1. We don't have the back-end trail selection system built like Summit does, so your trails are assigned in order of the preference you give us during registration. Some trails run twice a day, some run just once (in&out's), so anywhere from 20-40 trucks will get to do any one trail for the weekend. Once we have your preference and the entire group is signed up, we'll announce what trail / day your runs are.

2. Available trail runs are:

Tincup Pass and Cottonwood Pass
Mt. Antero and Baldwin Lake
Mt. Princeton and Pomeroy Lakes
Sevenmile Creek and Bald Mountain
Chinaman Gulch (Hard)
Grizzly Lake (Hard)

3. Longer-term planning: we're trying to make this an annual event, but it may move around so that we can keep the same group seeing new trails. The simple math is that nowhere has the trail density and lodging space that Ouray does for FJ Summit, so to differentiate the event from Summit, we're looking at some creative destination options for this year and future years.

Hope to see everybody there!

#5 · (Edited)
For future runs, I suggest going a bit further out and hitting Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass, Reno Divide (sometimes called Italian Creek), You could also do Hanc*ck Pass, Tomichi Pass (those arent any further out than Tincup).

Ill even throw out some that are south of Buena Vista....Hayden Pass, Bonanza/Otto Mears Toll Road, Marshall Pass. I can picture a Marshall Pass, Tomichi Pass, Hanc*ck Pass loop that brings you back to Buena Vista. Remember, if some of these folks are coming from outside of Colorado, a loop like that would give them great overview of this portion of Colorado. Can also envision a Cottonwood/Taylor/Pearl/Reno Divide/Cottonwood loop...although in a 4 wheeler this might be an overnight trip. Certainly more driving than you have to do with the FJ Summit down in Ouray, but there are lots of possibilities for loops that cover some serious ground.

#7 ·
I am signed up, paid up and looking forward to seeing a lot of old friends and hope to make many new ones. Of course I will make a video or 2 of the event and I might take a pic or 2 as well. I hope to be a regular at this annual event. It should be a good time. Moving it around yearly is a cool idea. Maybe it could be in Silverton instead of Ouray 1 year? They just redid the BIG hotel in town so there is a place to stay there. Just think on it.

#9 ·
I don't think we're planning anything for Monday, we might informally do a group photo like Summit somewhere or we may try to do that Sunday evening. Obviously if you're staying in BV Sunday night, a few people will probably be doing runs Monday morning.

David's coordinating the food choices, I think it's mainly hamburgers / hot dogs but the catering hasn't been finalized yet, so we might be able to do something for you guys.

David just posted the event on the Facebook page, can you ping him with these over there?

#12 ·
You mean Traildamage is out of date? *gasp* I'm shocked :rofl:

Thanks for the heads-up Jim, we offered Grizzly as a second option to Chinaman in case enough hardcore types showed up that they didn't want to do Chinaman twice. I don't know yet if we've got enough people wanting to do it.

#13 · (Edited)
Just saw a video on YouTube of someone who did Grizzly Lake last month (mid July) and the first obstacle appeared considerably easier than it did last fall. Kind of like a number of the obstacles on some of the runs in Moab.....do them early (before Easter Jeep Safari) and they're much easier because the ledges haven't gotten dug out yet (winter runoff fills in the approaches from the previous year).

#14 ·
Hmmmmmmmm I may be down for this one. Should know in about a week or so. I need to get my shocks serviced & replaced before then.

Looking like I am going to be unemployed for a few weeks in September which is always a wonderful time to rack up some FJ repair bills. I also have not had a chance to test the 35's on a group run since I dropped them on.... might get a little excited and need someone with a winch behind me. :clap:

Unfortunately if we do Antero I will probably stop 3000ft below the summit so I can hike it. That one is still on the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.