Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Camping new Glenwood Springs?

6K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Abu Layla 
#1 ·
do you guys know any good spots to camp new Glenwood Springs, i would like to go this weekend to the Hanging lake and the hot springs so something within 30 min would be great.
thanks in advance.

#2 ·
#4 ·
well i'm in denver, so 5-6 hrs, i'll be going to ouray not during the summit though. it is much better but i thought it was too cold now to go there and i only have 2 days so i don't want to go too far from denver, and the wife has been wanting to go to the hot springs for a while, this way she can get her springs i get my camping and hiking also.

#6 ·
yeah with that limited time Glenwood is a good choice. The hot springs are great. Eagle and Glenwood are the places I first came to. It was my first introduction to Colorado. You are right Ouray is a bit far.

#8 ·
We might be in Glenwood Springs sometime this weekend too. Soe friends from WI are coming in town, and we might take them to Hanging Lake (one of our favorite little spots - along with Glenwood Canyon Brewpub ;)).

Do you know which day you're gonna hike to HL? My end isn't solid at all, but if at all possible, it might be neat to meet up there.

#9 ·
the plan is to leave friday after noon, camp there for two nights and come back on sunday, the wife really wants to hit the hot springs so i'm thinking may be hanging lake saturday morning and then go to the hot springs after that, however me and my friend both have little kids so we need to make sure that it won't be too cold where we're going to camp first, so we're not 100% sure either, but i'll let you know as the week goes on, it would be cool to get together. are you going to be doing any wheeling up there?

#11 ·
Probably no wheeling in that area for us this time around, but we might take them to see the Dotsero volcano....you might want to check it out as well (I'll send more info via PM if you want).
Steven: Please PM the info about this as well. I had never known about this until now! I'll be darned...

Another attraction that you must go to in Glenwood: CHARCOAL BURGER.... truly outstanding...

#13 ·
Hot springs at Radium State Park?
I don't know anything about it personally, but I did some searching...

"Rumor has it there's a natural hot spring around here along the Colorado River, but you have to climb down a steep embankment to reach it and it's completely unmarked"

That's from this page...
GORP - Colorado's Hot Springs Heavens - Radium State Park

Not sure that's the kind of adventure they're looking for on this particular trip. Any specifics that you know of personally?

Also, the Glenwood Canyon area isn't really much further than the Kremmling area as far as how long it takes to drive there.

According to Google Maps...
Silverthorne to Kremmling: 36.3 miles / ~1.25 hours
Silverthorne to Glenwood Springs: 92.2 miles / ~1.5 hours

If you're going to that area though and want the 'sure-thing', there's always Hot Sulphur Springs East of Kremmling.

#14 ·
Yes, I have been to Radium Hot Springs many times, and I guess you are right it isn't that much farther to Glenwood. I go camping a lot within 100 feet of Radium Hot Spring, so I know it exists...not just a rumor :).

The dirt road between Kremmling (off of Hwy 9) and State Bridge is a nice, super easy drive to take people on as well, and that is how you get to the Radium area.

Either way is great, and should be fun. Enjoy!

#15 ·
Yes, I have been to Radium Hot Springs many times, and I guess you are right it isn't that much farther to Glenwood. I go camping a lot within 100 feet of Radium Hot Spring, so I know it exists...not just a rumor :).
Cool. I just might check it out sometime my self. Thanks, bud.

The dirt road between Kremmling (off of Hwy 9) and State Bridge...
Yep. I know the road. I'm in the Kremmling/Parshall/StateBridge/McCoy area usually a couple times per year on paleontology investigations, and I would agree that there are lots of great camping places all over that area. I just didn't know about hot springs in locales like you're talking about.

Any others?

Oops....sorry for humping this thread.
Should we create another?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.