Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Where do I start?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  HighwayHum72 
#1 ·
I am looking at the purchase of an FJ Cruiser. I really have no idea where to start. I am looking at a 2009, black, with 90k miles. It was just traded in. (For a 2012 white FJ with lower mileage.) Should I be concerned about mileage? Anything super important to be looking for, other than obvious, like accidents, etc.? Travel with wife and three Shih Tzu. Will be looking for accessories next. Firm believer in "difference between men and boys are the price of their toys", so this will be my toy, as she retires and upgrades her 2010 Venza to a new one, and I turn seventy, and we both look for new "road trips". Where do I start? Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome....90,000 miles is not a big concern if the vehicle is in good general condition and has been well maintained. It is used so some repairs should be expected but the major drive line components are very durable. There are many FJ's rolling along reliably with 250-300,000 miles. Is this FJ all stock or been modified....You should get under the vehicle and look for damage, dents, scratches as evidence of hard off road use, make sure you test the 4wd in both low and high range, this should be done on a dirt, gravel or grass surface. Check that the Differential lock engages and functions if equipped, there should be no oil leaks, the FJ is a truck chassis and shaped like a brick on wheels still It should drive down the road and feel solid and be pretty much noise free except for some wind noise and possibly exhaust. It should be used but not appear well used, the windshield is very prone to chips and cracks do to it's vertical position, if your wanting or expecting great gas milage this is not the vehicle for you, 16 - 19 Mpg is about average, some get worse some claim better. Almost forgot the fun factor is pretty hi for the FJ, you'll understand when you drive it. Good luck with your purchase.

#5 ·
Welcome from MD, i would get it into a mechanic that you trust BEFORE you purchase. If you are buying from a dealer ask to see both a carfax and a autocheck. They will have access to both and it is very important to see both.

If it is a private individual ask to see the service history. Ask if it has been in any accidents or had ANY mechanical problems. What ever the answer is wright up a simple bill of sale and put the answers you received in it.

If you get ANY pushback from the dealer or private seller about this, walk away. my 2 cents.

#6 ·
I agree with Tonka. Have a mechanic look at it. I am not saying that there are any special concerns that you should have. In fact, IMHO, there are not.

What I am saying is that you may be ill-equipped to accurately assess the condition of the truck. A mechanic would be relatively inexpensive and a great boon to understanding what you are looking at in terms of overall condition, required maintenance, etc.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

#7 ·
Welcome from MD!
I would get as new a FJ as I could afford, there are no more new ones out there, so get in to the newest unit that you can find and afford.
If you buy well, the value will hold, making the increased investment worth it.
My$.02. Gm

Reactions: Joabmc
#8 ·
I'd look for something as close to stock as possible as well. Look for the soccer mom rig or grocery getter. You'll then have a blank pallet to work with with the piece of mind that it hasn't been hammered on the trails. If you crawl underneath, you can quickly deduce if it has been wheeled hard. A lot of folks bought the FJs and cut their four wheeling teeth on them. No offense intended to anyone but I remember the abuse my first 4X4 took while learning the ropes. I banged up a lot of stuff. IMO, if you see one with a lot of mods, walk away as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
The tires might be a good place to start as well. I just bought an 2013 FJ from a dealer with 28K miles. It had the original "highway" tires and not the off-road type. They also had the carfax and this guy was married and his wife drove it. They changed the oil every 5K miles at the Toyota dealership. I'm a two month owner and I am just getting modification list together. I'll be the last owner of this one...Cheers from the Lone Star state.

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've had my mechanic go over the vehicle, and the dealer allowed me to put my own new tires on it, giving me credit for their tires, off the purchase price. Joined local group, FJ Bruisers. Waiting for vehivle be serviced and to pass Maryland inspection. Very soon. Meanwhile, what grade.of gasoline do people use in a 2009? Owners manual calls for 91 octane. What do you use? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.