Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Toyota FJ Cruiser Reverse/Backup LED Bulbs! See Install Video & Comparison Photos!

51K views 139 replies 38 participants last post by  Diode Dynamics 
#1 · (Edited)
Toyota FJ Cruiser Reverse/Backup LED Bulbs! See Install Video & Comparison Photos!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Reverse Light LED

At Diode Dynamics, we carry a full line of LED bulbs, including three different levels of brightness for your FJ's reverse light or backup light bulb (921 size). We carry the brightest, highest-quality bulbs on the market, which we have designed in St. Louis, Missouri. Your order will ship same day, and we're here if you need us for support and service. Every bulb carries with it a three-year limited warranty.

Your purchase includes two 921-sized LED bulb, for perfect fitment in all Toyota FJ Cruiser Models.

Bulb Design

HP5: Four high-power SMDs, under a diffusing lens. Just like the HP3, but run at higher power, with integrated copper plating for superior heat dissipation, allowing maximum brightness.

HP36: Full 360 degree illumination with 36 High-Power Samsung LEDs. Aluminum base for optimum heatsinking, and non-polar design for easy installation.

XP50: Each of the four sides of this bulb contains two 5W-rated chips, and the top is fitted with two more under a projector lens. Housed in an aluminum casing with textured finish for maximum heatsinking properties.

Fitment. All three bulbs use a quality inject-molded 921 terminal, with a sturdy base connector and proper pin alignment, designed for exact replacement of your factory 921 bulb. You will not need resistors for backup lights. Just replace the factory bulb.

Included in your order is TWO BULBS.

COLOR

These LEDs illuminate in a crisp, cool, bright, white hue for maximum light output.

BRIGHTNESS

Diode Dynamics offers several brightness options so you can choose what fits you best. These options are listed by the design and the lumen output of each bulb:

HP5: (92 lumens) Slightly lower brightness than OEM bulbs, but still provides the crisp, modern instant on/off of LED technology.
HP36: (210 lumens) Slightly higher brightness than OEM bulbs.
XP50: (410 lumens) Much brighter than OEM bulbs. These are bright!

Lumens. BUYER BEWARE! Most sellers just provide "calculated" lumen numbers, based on the maximum potential brightness of the LED chips on the bulb. For example, if a bulb has five 10-lumen chips, they will rate it at 50 lumens. However, this is not accurate, as the design of an LED bulb does not get rid of heat fast enough to run the LEDs at maximum.

These "calculated" lumen ratings are much, much higher than the true, measured light output, so it will look like competitors' bulbs are brighter than ours. This is because Diode Dynamics does not provide inflated "calculated" numbers; we believe it is misleading. We test the actual brightness of the bulbs in our lab, to provide real lumen output measurements. Our measurements are accurate, but they are usually much lower than the misleading "calculated" figures.

QUALITY

LED Components. Diode Dynamics uses only the highest quality LED chips in the production of its bulbs. This means only brand-name suppliers such as Epistar, Cree, Osram, and Samsung.

While Diode Dynamics bulbs may look the same as others on the market, most copycat bulbs use economy-grade LED chips in order to reduce costs. This greatly reduces the reliability and overall brightness of the bulb when you compare it to Diode Dynamics.

Construction. Although LED technology allows for extremely long bulb life, the market is flooded with cheap LED bulbs that fail prematurely due to inferior construction. The worst enemy of LEDs is excessive heat, and when bulbs are not designed properly, they do not disperse heat as well, leading to premature failure.

Off-brand, cheap bulbs exhibit poor solder uniformity, high levels of flux in the solder, uneven chip placement, low-gauge terminal wires, poor assembly, and bulbs held together with inferior adhesives. At best, solder joints will crack and fail on low-quality LEDs after a few weeks of use. In the worst case, these bulbs can damage housings as the extra flux and adhesive evaporates and creates a residue on the lens of the housing.

Diode Dynamics bulbs are produced with modern, computerized equipment, and only the best materials, to ensure complete uniformity, high quality, and long bulb life.

All Diode Dynamics products come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited replacement warranty.

Questions? Feel free to ask here, PM, email contact@diodedynamics.com or call us: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thank you!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics

Customer Reviews:

"Installed stage three (XP50) in stock light receptacle. Even with the high cost of these bulbs, they saved me a lot of money by not needing to install additional lighting on the rear of my FJ. I have seen numerous LED bulbs in the past and these are the highest quality I have seen. I have had for nine months now with no issues whatsoever. (Posted on 9/22/14)" -Jrope

"These bulbs were the first LED's I purchased from Diode Dynamics. I went with the modest HP36 and am extremely happy with them. If LED's are what you are looking for, you cannot go wrong with Diode Dynamics. (Posted on 1/25/15)" -Daniel

See less See more
1 3
#5 ·
Re: FS: BRIGHT Reverse/Backup LED Bulbs! Hi-Power / CREE Models, Ships Same-Day

Where are you lights assembled,I know they were designed in Missouri.Just curious about where they were assembled.
Johnny
Johnny,

They are currently manufactured overseas. The only company in the U.S. that manufacturers their own bulbs is Putco (in Iowa)

We manufacture as many products in-house as possible

Nick C.

#6 ·

I'm unable to checkout. It keeps giving me a webpage not available error

The webpage at https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/onestepcheckout/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

Can't sign up for an account either.

#7 ·

I'm unable to checkout. It keeps giving me a webpage not available error

The webpage at https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/onestepcheckout/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

Can't sign up for an account either.
It's working for me, could be a browser issue or a cached version of the site

Please give us a call at your earliest convenience and we can assist you in placing an order: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
Nick C.

#8 ·

Hi guys, I am interested in these LED bulbs but I just have a few questions.

How much brighter are they than stock?
How many lumens are our stock reverse lights?
If these lights provide say 2x or 4x more light, will that affect visibility thru the backup camera?
Will the view be washed out or clearer?

It would help if a forum member has installed these and could show some before and after photos.

$70 seems like a lot of moola for a pair of reverse bulbs.

Take it easy!

#9 ·

Hi guys, I am interested in these LED bulbs but I just have a few questions.

How much brighter are they than stock?
How many lumens are our stock reverse lights?
If these lights provide say 2x or 4x more light, will that affect visibility thru the backup camera?
Will the view be washed out or clearer?

It would help if a forum member has installed these and could show some before and after photos.

$70 seems like a lot of moola for a pair of reverse bulbs.

Take it easy!
Thank you for asking!

The factory 921 bulbs are around 200 lumens or so, depending on use (incandescent bulbs lose output gradually over time so that number varies)

The HP models produce 210 lumens and last considerably longer than the factory bulbs. Our XP50 bulb model produces 410 lumens (2x the factory brightness).

They are perfect for vehicles equipped with backup cameras, as they make it considerably easier to see while backing up. They won't wash out the camera or create any glare.

I understand your cost concerns, but our products utilize the highest quality LED chips in the production of our bulbs. This means we use only brand-name suppliers such as Cree, Epistar, Osram, and Samsung. Therefore, they are priced competitively with other well-known U.S. lighting vendors.

They also feature circuit designs produced in-house here in St. Louis, so they will be more reliable and longer lasting than other options on the market.

We also back them with a 3-year limited warranty, and our helpful customer service team

We've been looking for an FJ Cruiser to bring into our studio here in St. Louis for comparison shots, so I apologize for not having those pictures available yet (Coming soon!) but here's a recent comparison with a 2014 F-150 that uses the same bulb size as the FJ (921)

If you have any further questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Thank you!
Nick C.

#13 ·
#14 ·

Will you guys ever have replacement mirror bulbs and will they ever have the option for amber?

#15 ·

Will you guys ever have replacement mirror bulbs and will they ever have the option for amber?
The HP5 fits the mirror light and is brighter than the stock bulb. Just make sure you do the "diffuser removal mod". Not sure if the brighter bulbs are too long or not, but they will plug in.

#18 ·

If you remove the diffuser film in the mirror lights you can fit just about any length replacement bulb in them.

Reactions: Diode Dynamics
#19 ·

All of my exterior bulbs, minus headlights and reverse bulbs, are from Diode Dynamics. I am completely satisfied with the LED's and customer service. I had a bulb that didn't work properly and they promptly replaced it with a new set. I would recommend these guys!

#20 ·

All of my exterior bulbs, minus headlights and reverse bulbs, are from Diode Dynamics. I am completely satisfied with the LED's and customer service. I had a bulb that didn't work properly and they promptly replaced it with a new set. I would recommend these guys!
Thank you!

We appreciate your support!

Really looking forward to getting comparison shots with an FJ Cruiser. Our photographer is very talented:

(I know it's a Jeep, sorry! lol)

Nick C.

#23 ·

Just wondering are all lights white in color, I had heard once that red LED's produce a more intense brake light as does amber for turn signals. Has this been tested and is color an option is someone has clear lenses.
Impressed by what I see, BTW is DD distributed in Canada or would we order direct and how would they be shipped.

Thanks.:smile

#24 ·

Just wondering are all lights white in color, I had heard once that red LED's produce a more intense brake light as does amber for turn signals. Has this been tested and is color an option is someone has clear lenses.
Impressed by what I see, BTW is DD distributed in Canada or would we order direct and how would they be shipped.

Thanks.:smile
Actually, there is no "White" LED. White is created by a combination of phosphor coatings over a blue LED to produce white. That's also why it's so important to measure your LEDs, otherwise you'll end up with mismatched colors from loose binning. We have a very helpful research section here on our site if you would like to learn more (very interesting): Research

We do have several Authorized dealers in Canada. You can call them directly to place orders, or order through our site.

Feel free to give us a call if you need more information: (314) 205-3033

We are always happy to talk about lighting :grin

Nick C.

#34 ·
Re: FS: BRIGHT Reverse/Backup LED Bulbs! Hi-Power / CREE Models, Installation Video

What model bulbs were you using in the install video?

#35 ·
Re: FS: BRIGHT Reverse/Backup LED Bulbs! Hi-Power / CREE Models, Installation Video

What model bulbs were you using in the install video?
Turn signals look like the XP80 (510 lumen). I imagine the brake lights are XP80 as well and the reverse lights are XP50 (410 lumen). Those are the brightest bulbs they have in those categories.

I have the XP80 for my rear turn signals and brake lights. As soon as the XP50 comes back in stock I will be getting those for my reverse lights.

#38 ·

Just put the XP50's in my Raptor and am very happy with the outcome.
You'll have to send us some pictures of that! We are big Raptor fans here

contact@diodedynamics.com

Thank you for ordering with us!

Nick C.

#39 ·

Just placed a big order this last weekend. The only thing not getting swapped out are the headlights. Can't wait to see how much brighter they are.

#40 ·

Just placed a big order this last weekend. The only thing not getting swapped out are the headlights. Can't wait to see how much brighter they are.
They are much...much brighter than factory!:

Our production team is still putting together the comparison photo collages, but that's a teaser with the XP50's installed

We have comparison shots for every location :grin

Nick C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.