Headlight study: Only 1 out of 31 models rated 'good' - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:24 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Re: Headlight study: Only 1 out of 31 models rated 'good'

We were glad to see that IIHS moved forward so quickly with these tests. Now that they've provided their testing specification, we do plan on implementing it in order to provide recommendations that meet their testing standards! Stay tuned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Headlight study: Only 1 out of 31 models rated 'good'

I personally couldn't care less about DOT approved headlights or the Insurance Institute. They're bunch of incompetent pencil pushers to begin with. It is all very funny since when it comes to their own vehicle like COP cars or construction project on the freeway they bring stadium lights, which blinds everybody.
Just looking for some decent lights so you can see some decent distance.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Garage

I've been running the high output 70w Lifetime LED replacements for over a year and love them. They recently released Gen2 models that have a better cut off, but still wide, bright spread to improve visibility.

They also produce a normal output bulb that throws 2000 lumens which is a bit brighter than the PIAA Extremes I had before.

Tom | Owner, RedDirtOffroad.com | Rock Walker Build | Lone Star Toyota Jamboree Director | Toyota Trail Riders President

Last edited by tgormtx; 03-31-2016 at 04:20 PM.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Garage

I saw that report last night on the news. Prius was the only model that did well. I suspect a Prius owner had some input on the report. My girlfriend's Mazda CX-5 GT has fantastic LED lighting, but it wasn't on their list of cars tested.

I just switched to Lifetime LED headlights. Love them!!!!!! They are much better than OEM. I doubt they compare to the Prius, but the Prius is running an array of flood/spot bulbs that are made to look like one light, while the FJ only has one light (per side).

2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black
AT 4x4 w/ CRAWL. Kenwood eXcelon HU w/German Maestro Sound "Life is a beach"

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." George Best
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
thane previously said: View Post
I have had HID modded headlights then switched to LED headlamps-2 different generations and I am back to the stock lamps.

Having a set of dim OEM headlights augmented with bright auxiliary LEDs provides a range of illumination to choose from. Keeping a low light capability can be very useful on and off road.

I'm exploring getting even dimmer headlamps to increase the difference.
Seeking a range of illumination is exactly why I'm installing dimmer switches on some of my aux lights. Dial them down to "DOT" and leave them on full time if I want. Or flick them up full blast for special circumstances ;-)
Consequently, the PIAA Extremes in my headlights will do fine...with situation-specific assistance.
thane likes this.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Quote:
FJoel previously said: View Post
I tested those with a light meter and they won, hands down. That was a few years ago before LED's and such.

I'm considering running some more tests since I still have the light meter to see where LED technology is taking us, and then updating the thread.
I got them based off of the info from your comparison thread. I love this sight. I have been on here for nearly 4yrs now and have not had to ask any questions about anything. Thanks to you and others before me who have essentially answered all of them.

2010 TTE with Toytec Ultimate lift, Resz Fabrication front bumper w/12,000lb winch and lightforce lights, expedition one rear swing out bumper, demello sliders, gobi stealth rack, RCI skids, bushwhacker flairs, Spidertrax spacers, BMC, trd exhaust, afe cai and tb spacer, 17x10 Level 8 bully pro's with 285/70-17, Midland handheld CB with Bandi mount and Fire Stick antenna, FJoel AT shifter and Grenade for the 4WD shifter, 1/2in. Bandi body lift, windows tinted, and AMSOIL fluids.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Headlights?? We don't need no stinking Headlights.... When ever I ride with my wife, I sit in a fetal position and have my hands covering my eyes anyway....
Irving Zisman likes this.

2013 TT FJ Cruiser, Warn front bumper with Warn 9.5 cti, Master Pull Synthetic rope, Factor 55 1.5" Fair lead, Total Chaos Long Travel R series for 3.5" lift, S2 ICON Coil-overs with remote reservoir plus ICON Omega twin tube Bypass with remote reservoir, ICON CDCV rear shocks, ToyTec Super-flex 2.5 HD rear coils, ICON upper & lower links and Panhard bar, Nitro 4.56 R&P, ARB Locker in the front, E locker in the rear, ARB on board air, NorthStar Group 27F, Toyo Open Country MT 285/75/16
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Quote:
10851 previously said: View Post
Headlights?? We don't need no stinking Headlights.... When ever I ride with my wife, I sit in a fetal position and have my hands covering my eyes anyway....

I hope she doesn't post on this forum, otherwise you may be in trouble lol

Nick C.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
myfjtte previously said: View Post
I replaced mine with PIAA extremes and really like them.
i did the same with the PIAA's extremes a few months ago and have no regrets . i'm still waiting on led and hid to improve a bit more before i jump. Adjustment is super easy with a 8" #2 Phillips screwdriver, fits perfect in the slot.

rudeestyle-me like'um buffalo

2012 FJ-Cavalry Blue
1992 Land Cruiser-white (sold)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Indeed very disappointing to read that some of those premium models with newfangled LED lights performed more poorly than even some OEM halogens

I would strongly recommend a good HID projector retrofit. A proper high-end HID projector is still better than LED projectors at the moment, I think. The LEDs will probably surpass the best bi-xenons in a few years (i.e. LEDs right now are still in their infancy imo)

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Supporting Vendors > Diode Dynamics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.