Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Camelbak Water Storage

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  tankfixer 
#1 ·
Whats the longest you've ever kept water in your Camelbak bladder? Please also include if it was the civilian blue bladder or the military brown,grey,black style bladder.

#2 ·
I had left water in my blue bag for over 3 weeks and it tasted just fine afterwards.

#3 ·
Thanks. I think Ive done about the same myself. I recently read a thread on AR15.com where a guy supposed said he did a test leaving tap water in freshly cleaned bladders (3 separate bags) for 19months (reportedly October 2009 to May 2011) without issue. That sounded extreme but I'm just curious to see what other experiences have been :D

#12 ·
Yeah this is going to be a brand new military (dark brown style) bladder and tap water.

I'm sure that would be "pure" enough to last a couple months but since this will be stored in my truck, which I'm sure could create quite the idea environment in the summer for happy little bugs to grow, I think I'll add a couple drops of bleach just as a precaution to inhibit the growth of anything that somehow managed to find it's way in there.

#15 ·
I would use iodine purification tablets over bleach. Even a small amount might damage the coating inside of the bladder.

Edit: would actually recommend a steripen for your situation

[ http://www.amazon.com/SteriPEN-Tr...w.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

#19 ·
I don't get it.
I get that it hangs upside down, but they don't show a pic of it actually in use.
What is the rectangular structure for? Does it come apart and you close it around the bladder, or does it collapse to fit inside of the bladder, or what?

#22 ·
It also depends if you are on chlorinated city water. If you are going to add bleach as a preservative, look at the concentration. It can range from .06 to .1 active ingredient. Temps will also affect shelf life.

When cleaning, do a good job and use plenary of bleach. Be sure to rinse and dry everything well.

A recent discovery is the MSR bag. http://www.rei.com/product/733948/msr-dromedary-bag-10-liter. It attaches to their ceramic water filter too. I Cary a 6 and 10 liter bag in my rig.

///iPad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.