Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The First $2000 (for the Prepper)

8K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  FJ Moose 
#1 ·
I am sure most people have read Uphill's The first $2000, I found this article very informative, but I purchased my FJ more for its general all around capabilities and not for a primary expedition vehicle.

I think there should be a thread for people's ideas on the most important items and mods for a SHTF escape vehicle.

Here is what I have done to Slave I so far:

Protection:

Dee Zee Brushguard I have had issues in the past with road trash being thrown into, and destroying, my headlights and thought this would offer some protection until I can do a lift and bumper with winch install. $275.00 Shipped.

Body Armor4x4 tail light guards I thought these might offer some protection for the tail lights from branches and what not. $80.00 Shipped.

Springtail Solutions Pet Barrier as I have an 85 lbs four legged member of our family with one daughter, and another on the way (my wife is due in October) I think Doc has the best product available to keep everyone safe and secure. Not for Sale currently but I paid $150 used from a member.

Emergency Preparedness
Streamlight Stinger i have the xenon version I picked up cheap around Thanksgiving on one of Amazon's lightning deals. Led versions are still available for around $100.

HI-Lift Jack I went with the basic lift as I hope never have to use it. I paid $70.00 at Northern after coupon.

Axe again another product I hope never to use but nice to have. $45 shipped.

Shovel I had to buy the shovel with the Neon Green and Cement color scheme. The stainless steel head is a nice feature. $40 shipped.

I mounted the tools to the OEM roof rack with Garvin Mounts which i picked up used from member for $100.00. I also liked the Fourtrecks mounts which are available for ~$225.00.

Communication:
Baofeng UV-5R+ another item I bought on a lightning deal for $33.00. One of these days I will finish studying for and take my technician test. Then I can take it out of the box without fear of going to jail.:jester:

That is what I have done so far besides using fuel cans that I already had around the house.

What did I miss?

See less See more
#3 ·
You're not going anywhere with flat tires, so:
Extra spare tire/wheel combos on the roof rack. $100 each on Craigslist.

Rolls 2" wide heavy-duty clear packing tape to patch broken window glass.

Water containers of some sort.

#5 ·
#9 ·
IMO, a Dee Zee brush guard and rear taillight guards are completely pointless for anything other than prepper "bling." If shizzz really hit the fan, who cares what the headlights and especially the taillights look like? That money could better be used to go towards water/food storage, cheap LED lighting (still more reliable than halogen bulbs), solar powering (to recharge an overpriced flashlight hehe), dual battery setup, etc.

#10 · (Edited)
Please stop with this nonsense, somebody with access rights should change the tittle of that thread, it should read, the first $5000 with all the additions there are, plus you guys are showing us more of it that can be done, lol, please stop showing us what we could have, please, i'm starting to have mental issues because I keep expanding my wish list, but I don't see the money to cover them, and I don't want to ask my old pal for money, i'm sure he wouldn't have any issue lending me the dove, his last name is Visa :grin

#11 ·
Exactly! I think my wish last is nearing $20k already! :cry: Yet I can't stop adding to it! At least I got one major useful mod done (lift). Mine is going to take years before I get everything done! ;)

#13 ·
#14 ·
My bob be is based on the whole,water,food,shelter,protection rules. The first 2000 prepper mods should be similar but for keeping your truck alive. Fuel,extraction, armor, clearance, communications.
A way to haul extra fuel, jerry can mounts,supplemental fuel tank. A way to get yourself unstuck,winch, maxx traxx, comealong, shovel, Axe, chainsaw,aircompressor, highlift jack, snatch straps, tow points,lights. Armor that protects the truck, skid plates, bumpers,sliders. Clearance, lift kit, bigger tires,Runflat tires? And last but not least communication, two way radios, cb radio, ham radio,ect.

May be hit one or two from each category and the first 2000 is said and done.

#15 ·
You all still missed the most vulnerable point .... rear lower control arms :lol:
One good whack coming off a pile of zombies and you're done :)

#16 ·
^^. So true. I upgraded to Toy Outfitters rear LCA's and added a little armor to protect them.

Reactions: FJ Moose
#17 ·
MetalTech myself, rear offset beefies :)
Told them about Moab, and they said if any issues with the arms, give them a call :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.