Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

$100 - Beginners Thread for a BOB / EDC Bag

15K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  Hannibal 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm starting this thread with the realization that not all know where to start. Rather than consider this a Bug out Bag (BOB), it's emphasis a bag to assist in a state of disaster with 3 - 7 day need without any services.

The list for this thread is limited to the first 100 dollars you would expect to be spent by a beginning disaster prep.

( Please list a bag, but let's assume that a bag is something everyone has in their house)

Reactions: Andy07
#2 ·
The first $20 should be for one of these.

Here's what I managed to get inside of it:

General Purpose
6.5 yards of Twine (approx)
5 small rubber bands
2 large rubber bands
3 small ziplock baggies (holds the fishing and sewing kits)
Pocket size LED light
Fresnel lens for magnification

Navigation
20mm Compass

Hunting
3.5 yards of Snare Wire (approx)

Cooking
12"x18" Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
2 razor blades

Fire
Coleman Wire Saw
5 waterproof matches
2 waterproof/windproof matches
2 pieces of Quik Tinder
1 large match with firestarter impregnated into the body
Striker pad

Fishing Kit
5.5 yards of 50lb test fishing line (approx)
Crappy Hook
Bass Hook
Catfish Hook
5 weights - 2 large, 3 small

Sewing Kit
1 pre-threaded needle
2 spare needles
3 safety pins
roll of thread

First Aid
2 standard size bandaids w/ Antibiotic Ointment
2 butterfly bandages

#3 · (Edited)
This is by no means an inclusive kit but should get you started, plus it has items you will want to keep!

Kelty Lightwing - Older Backpack, I bought mine for 20 bucks.

Escape Bivvy - 15-50 Dollars depending on type.

Lifestraw - $35.00

Blastmatch - $15.00

LED Headlamp - $10.00 - 20.00

You are going to want something to cook in, consider changing out the Lifestraw bottle, not filter, with stainless steel water bottle or other metal backpacking water bottle. Bring the Lifestraw filter with you to REI,Cabela's,Basspro ect to fit test top.

A dedicated knife outside of your EDC. EDC items can be lost or forgotten places. A BOB should be checked twice a year to ensure items are maintained within the kit. $40-60 Dollars I carry a SOG Aegis for my EDC and a SEAL Pup attached to my BOB.

#4 ·
clearly a fantastic idea here a lot of people never thought about this kind of stuff and when they stumble across a thread like mine being I have more money in my pack than what we are starting with here can be overwhelmed and not proceed at all. I like the altoids kit I saw Dave Canterbury do a video about these and have meant to put one together. Walmart is carrying SOG backpacks and shoulder bags now too for a great price if you don't have a extra pack around and need to pick on up to get your kit together. Stay safe out there

#5 ·
clearly a fantastic idea here a lot of people never thought about this kind of stuff and when they stumble across a thread like mine being I have more money in my pack than what we are starting with here can be overwhelmed and not proceed at all.
I hope more respond Andy. The EDC thread is packed with information but some of us have hundreds, if not thousands into our BOB's and EDC's. I think some on the forum view this as a duplicate thread but it's not intended to say everything we have but primary what we should have spent our first investment on in terms of our packs. I bet every single one of us bought some piece of crap....

#6 ·
I think if I had to start over with the basics I would start with this and I will keep it under 100 bucks including pack.

Small back pack

Fire- maybe bic lighter , mag block or some kind of striker

Led flashlight with spare set of batteries

100 ft of paracord- Walmart here sells it now for 5.97

Knife- here's where I'd spend a decent bit being you don't want to cut yourself when a cheap one breaks on you.

Solar blanket / poncho - either could be used for shelter or to keep you dry and warm.

Maybe a MRE or some food items to get you throw how every long you want this pack to last you.

Reason my pack came about was at work I had to leave my FJ (now 4Runner )and bob behind and could get sent hours out of state and didn't want to be caught hours away from home with nothing but clothes on my back. So I keep a changed of socks,under clothes etc.... You can hit the 97 cents travel section at your local Walmart for travel size soap tooth brush shampoo etc... I keep a state map just for good measure as well. All this can be done for well under a 100 bucks not to mention you might already own a lot of these items just have to organize them for quick access.

Sent for WV

#7 · (Edited)
I think if I had to start over with the basics I would start with this and I will keep it under 100 bucks including pack.

Sent for WV
I agree that a change of underwear and socks are important. Maybe three pairs each, I can go a couple of days in the same pant and shirt but you will want something for your feet and crotch. I would add a bag of baby powder and foot spray if haven't gotten used to a bit of walking or hiking; chafing sucks.

People have this idea that their bodies will simply do what they tell it. Just like plowing a field, gardens take years to develop to where they are easy to work. People should expect a week or two of "this sucks" during emergencies...Your bodies are going to be under nerished, under extreme stress.

#9 ·
Hannibal, how much research did you do before buying one of the pre-made survival bags on the market? What made you decide to go the prepackaged route?

#11 ·
Great post and great idea! I'd like to add some items or alternatives for a starter kit. A little back story. I'm an old Army Scout and spent a lot of years in the woods. We learned to pack light, pack efficiently and pack for worst case scenarios.
Here are some ideas to consider:
Backpacks:
A. I prefer a pack that has a frame. (internal or external) comfort is key. A pack rubbing in the wrong places can really wear one down. Frames have a way of dispersing the load evenly. Loads settle in frameless packs adding stress to your lower back and shoulders.
B. Something with a detachable daypack. If you have to set up camp somewhere, it's nice to have a daypack the can be detached and used for short treks, exploring, foraging or whatever.
Necessities: IMHO
1. Sandwich bags and some freezer (roll your extra socks, shirts, undergarments etc.) and store in these. Try to keep all packed items dry at all costs.
2. Garage bag (large enough to cover your pack if needed)
3. Waterproof matches, lighter etc. I also buy the small starter logs (size of sharpie markers). The less energy you need to exert to start a fire the better. You burn a lot of calories in the field.
4. K-bar or Machete. Also a Gerber multi-tool, Leatherman and a 3-5" knife with locking blade. I prefer Gerber. You can pick these up at your local Army/Navy store for $15-25 and they are bulletproof or as we said Joeproof. Someone had mentioned a small wire saw. I have firsthand experience with these and you will expend A LOT of energy using these. Blisters, muscle failure, the whole nine yards trying to cut something.
5. A good Atlas, or some quad maps of the ares you plan to be in and a good compass. Electronics fail, batteries die. A map and compass can be a life saver. We used to use our GPS's periodically to get a fixed position when needed and use the maps for the majority of our navigation. You'll learn the terrain better and recognize terrain features easier this way.
6. Field stripped MRE's (remove all unnecessary items and duck tape close) Ramen and other easily prepared meals
7. Small field burner that can be used with a small propane tank ($10) a field mess kit.(fork/spoon/knife combo.) canteen cup/ mess plate.
8. Poncho and poncho liner. 2 ponchos preferably. One can be used for shelter and the other can be used to wrap up in and when used in conjunction with liner, can be very warm.
9. 550 parachord and duct tape can fix just about anything! A couple locking D-rings are useful for a field expedient pulley. You can also hang items with them (keep the rodents out of your pack and your food) a raccoon can reek havoc on your food supplies.
10. As much water as you can comfortably carry. 2 qt. canteens (soft shell) can be attached to the outside of pack for extra. Some water purification tabs (emergency) and a bottle that has a filter if needed.
11. First aid items:
A. Aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen (just ideas) this stuff comes in handy when your sore.
B.. Gauze, bandages and a pliable quick splint.
C. Anti-bacterial lotion of sorts. Untreated cuts can become infected quickly in a field environment.
D. Foot powder, tooth brush, toothpaste and toiletries (soap). A small wash rag and towel. You can't imagine how brushing your teeth, washing up, dry feet and a fresh pair of socks can make you feel. It's a huge psychological boost!!
E. Bug spray!!
12. Portable radio, 2-way with weather. Extra batteries. Mag light or Led light. Chemlights are a good option too. (Light sticks) help conserve batteries.

I like the military surplus stuff myself. The box store stuff is cheap but it is Cheaply made and fails when put to the test. Clips break, straps come unstitched. The ponchos tear and become brittle in colder temps.
Take your time a buy quality items that will last and not fail when you need them the most. It is stressful enough in these situations and not having to worry about your equipment failing is huge. Good luck and I hope I've added some insight.

#34 ·
Great post and great idea! I'd like to add some items or alternatives for a starter kit. A little back story. I'm an old Army Scout and spent a lot of years in the woods. We learned to pack light, pack efficiently and pack for worst case scenarios.
Here are some ideas to consider:
Backpacks:
A. I prefer a pack that has a frame. (internal or external) comfort is key. A pack rubbing in the wrong places can really wear one down. Frames have a way of dispersing the load evenly. Loads settle in frameless packs adding stress to your lower back and shoulders.
B. Something with a detachable daypack. If you have to set up camp somewhere, it's nice to have a daypack the can be detached and used for short treks, exploring, foraging or whatever.
Necessities: IMHO
1. Sandwich bags and some freezer (roll your extra socks, shirts, undergarments etc.) and store in these. Try to keep all packed items dry at all costs.
2. Garage bag (large enough to cover your pack if needed)
3. Waterproof matches, lighter etc. I also buy the small starter logs (size of sharpie markers). The less energy you need to exert to start a fire the better. You burn a lot of calories in the field.
4. K-bar or Machete. Also a Gerber multi-tool, Leatherman and a 3-5" knife with locking blade. I prefer Gerber. You can pick these up at your local Army/Navy store for $15-25 and they are bulletproof or as we said Joeproof. Someone had mentioned a small wire saw. I have firsthand experience with these and you will expend A LOT of energy using these. Blisters, muscle failure, the whole nine yards trying to cut something.
5. A good Atlas, or some quad maps of the ares you plan to be in and a good compass. Electronics fail, batteries die. A map and compass can be a life saver. We used to use our GPS's periodically to get a fixed position when needed and use the maps for the majority of our navigation. You'll learn the terrain better and recognize terrain features easier this way.
6. Field stripped MRE's (remove all unnecessary items and duck tape close) Ramen and other easily prepared meals
7. Small field burner that can be used with a small propane tank ($10) a field mess kit.(fork/spoon/knife combo.) canteen cup/ mess plate.
8. Poncho and poncho liner. 2 ponchos preferably. One can be used for shelter and the other can be used to wrap up in and when used in conjunction with liner, can be very warm.
9. 550 parachord and duct tape can fix just about anything! A couple locking D-rings are useful for a field expedient pulley. You can also hang items with them (keep the rodents out of your pack and your food) a raccoon can reek havoc on your food supplies.
10. As much water as you can comfortably carry. 2 qt. canteens (soft shell) can be attached to the outside of pack for extra. Some water purification tabs (emergency) and a bottle that has a filter if needed.
11. First aid items:
A. Aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen (just ideas) this stuff comes in handy when your sore.
B.. Gauze, bandages and a pliable quick splint.
C. Anti-bacterial lotion of sorts. Untreated cuts can become infected quickly in a field environment.
D. Foot powder, tooth brush, toothpaste and toiletries (soap). A small wash rag and towel. You can't imagine how brushing your teeth, washing up, dry feet and a fresh pair of socks can make you feel. It's a huge psychological boost!!
E. Bug spray!!
12. Portable radio, 2-way with weather. Extra batteries. Mag light or Led light. Chemlights are a good option too. (Light sticks) help conserve batteries.

I like the military surplus stuff myself. The box store stuff is cheap but it is Cheaply made and fails when put to the test. Clips break, straps come unstitched. The ponchos tear and become brittle in colder temps.
Take your time a buy quality items that will last and not fail when you need them the most. It is stressful enough in these situations and not having to worry about your equipment failing is huge. Good luck and I hope I've added some insight.
What are some recommendations for this radio. What brand, size, weight, duration? I think this is a great idea. My inexperience and ignorance would have had me overlook this until I really needed it. So, what is a good freq for a survival, emergency use. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that there is a universal watch channel.

In a pinch you can use a UV Chemlight, 90 or so seconds and it's good....

Other cheap methods? Bring some purification tablets with you
...Tastes like crap.

Plastic water bottle's can be found nearly everywhere including in the woods, beaches, ect.....
Can someone teach me about water purification with a chem lite stick? Can we use an expended lite stick or does it have to be fresh?

Thank you guys for getting me to think along these lines. There is a PSA on TV about making plans with your family and the catch line is "Winging it is never a good plan"

I guess between that commercial and this thread, I have opened my eyes.

#15 ·
I don't disagree. My only reservation with pre-made kits, your almost always paying a premium for gear in a kit such as theses. 9 times out of 10 I will make a list of what's in a kit and copy it if I'm going to buy it...Just personal....

#20 ·
Stay tuned to the other thread Buddy. I'll be making Survival Pizza from stale buns, ketchup packets, Parmesan cheese powder packets, and frozen tomatoes from what I find in the Tundra. >:D

#18 ·
price it out piece by piece and see if it's less than $99. :thinkerg:
Okay, you disagree, great...The reason why I buy each item independently of each other extends beyond cost, I like to see reviews for what I'm getting. I normally research brands picking and choosing depending on my budget for each item in my bag.

#19 ·
No, I dont disagree. Don't put words... Please.

I think it's a good start for those that aren't in the know or don't have too many choices at a moments notice, like me. Would I care to pick and choose? Sure, but I'm not going toss what I've paid for. It works and I've added to it to make it better.

I'll go through it again once I get settled in my new environment and plus it up for winter/snow vs tropical. I think the survival bars are near expiration? The mag springs should be rotated, etc...

All in all, I'd rather have it and never need it than the alternative. ;)

#21 ·
here's a few things that I now keep in a small backpack style bag stored in my FJ. Mostly prep items if I need to be away from home for limited duration.

<$100
toothbrush/paste
extra pair of quick dry (non-cotton) underwear and socks
razor
led head lamp
quick dry gloves
multi-tool ($5 garage sale item)
backpacking first aid kit (waterproof bag)
baby wipes
zip ties
duct tape (folded)
power bars
spork
lighter and waterproof matches

other items I have but exceeds OP $100 limit

backpacking water filter and container
backpacking stove and extra canister
freeze dried food
light weight bivvy bag
pillow (blow up)

#22 ·
backpacking water filter and container
In a pinch you can use a UV Chemlight, 90 or so seconds and it's good....

Other cheap methods? Bring some purification tablets with you...Tastes like crap.

Plastic water bottle's can be found nearly everywhere including in the woods, beaches, ect.....

Fill it up about 3/4's full and leave it in the sun on it's side. The sunlight will purify the contents over the course of a day. Fill up several and leave them on a rock....

Reactions: 4x4 Junkie
#24 ·
has anyone considered creating a stash.
This is debatable, I personally don't see a need other than common locations (place of employment, home, vehicle). Catches are debated even in the prepping community.

....When you start talking about bugging out to the hills or Terlingua your discussing an event that is at the very least a regional, more likely national, catastrophe.

We have never experienced a national catastrophe in US history, some of these would be on a worldly level...Something on the scale of Nuclear Attack / Large Scale Nuclear Winter, Yellowstone popping it's top....

What scale of collapse are you preparing for? 3 Days? 3 Weeks? 3 Months? Years? Each has a level of society that has likely survived, if we look at Katrina, society was very much intact immediately outside the wake of the hurricane. People who self-evacuated before landfall saw no real interruption to there needs besides being displaced....Those who were stuck in New Orleans Rescue operations took a few weeks....Recovery is still on going...

#28 ·
LOL....I think he is thinking a little bit more...buried....

O2 Absorb......Good Oil for guns, knives metal...ect....

6" PVC with good caps and plumbers sealant likely would work...I would bag everything and duck tape as well.

10-20 bucks you have a decent "vault"....

#30 ·
Even a good ammo can would work. Those can be partially buried/covered etc for years and last the elements. Those are used in Geo-caching quite frequently!
I wasn't sure on the size of item you were looking to cache....Figured it was a firearm, in which case figured a Mosin or 10/22, they are cheap and relatively useful in survival.

Do you know what you are looking to cache? Sholder mounted missile tubes, tank rounds ect, can be found surplus....Basically the same idea as ammo cans, I think the PVC idea would be cheaper and serve the same purpose but could be wrong.

#36 ·
PVC pipe and a Post hole digger, great idea! :cheers: not sarcasm

We just moved off the island to nearly off the grid. Storage locker popped up because I just rented one and they're cheap! I've read of folks stashing some basic preps, all the way up to a bug out trailer and/or vehicle in one.

Sorry for the confusion, Keep up the good work!

#39 ·
In this part of the country.. 3 foot deep hole will put you in water. So anything you bury would need to be a little closer to the surface.
But, I still think the pvc tube idea is a good idea, and very doable. This could be easily done for med supplies or something like that.
Probably wouldn't hurt to throw add an area map, compass and knife of some sort in there also.
These are always handy to have. GPS's are nice. But if you can't feed it. It becomes a boat anchor.

If you were to add a saw blade in to the tube. You could use that to cut off the cap of the tube. This and some plastic can help you create drinkable water. But, I would still want purification tabs.. Just to be on the safe side.

#41 ·
Check here:
Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily
There are also other sites you can check. This is one of my go to sites.
Also, look into APRS. This is used for tracking. And can be a good source of info.

For local repeaters in your area. These are good to know!

Something else of interest.

National weather service uses Ham Radio Operators extensively during severe storms for both tracking and verification.

Local Governments often rely on HRO/Local repeaters during a cleanup operation after a storm. Also, Red Cross and FEMA uses this for support.

Repeaters almost always have a backup power plan by Local clubs so they can be used during loss of commercial power.

#42 ·
@fabricgator
The two way is really dependent on your location and terrain. You can pick up a midland, Motorola, cobra fairly cheap. Some of the radios out there can range 50 mi. I live in a very mountainous area and if you are in a valley or a deep cut, your lucky to get 1-2 miles. FM breaks up very easy in rough terrain unless you can get to a highpoint. My point is, I'd do some research in your local area to find out what people are using and having success with.

#43 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.