Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Be prepared to not be prepared

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Patriots 
#1 ·
Obviously the more prep work you put into most things in life allow better outcomes. I think my experiences from Joplin in 2011 also cement my belief that preparation comes second to sound decision making during and immediately after the emergency. Those around you will rely heavily on the preparations made by you when the time comes. It is likely that when things really really get bad that it will be your actions and the use of your resources that will be just as, or more important than the prep. work you do in times of silence. Do all you can to be ready, but be prepared to not be prepared!
Best to all,
Greg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
One of my research projects I completed was on Joplin, specifically self dispatching immediately following the Tornado. Parents self admitted to driving in excess of a hundred miles per hour through the debris field. Multiple schools suffered direct hits for those who don't know what happened. What do you do?

#3 ·
I would be very interested in your Joplin research. For a little more info., multiple schools were a complete loss but luckily the F5 came on Sunday when school was not in session. It was graduation day for the high school that was totally destroyed, BUT the ceremonies were at the University which was missed. One 360 bed hospital was a total loss but the second regional hospital only 6 blocks away was totally missed. I coordinate the 3 outpatient pharmacies of the hospital that was spared. One took minor damage and I liquidated that inventory and combined it with what we already had at our pharmacy across the hall from our ED in our main tower. Communication was initially the biggest challenge as most cell coverage was severely compromised. For the next 26 hours it was constant sirens, helicopters trying to land, buses pulling to the front doors full of casualties and then a few hours of sleep before going again.
My bag that night as always had Quick Clot, suture kits, stapler, lidocaine, syringes, and lots of bandages( including Israeli battle bandages), scissors, forceps, etc.. I also carried two SA 9mm with 4 clips. The only thing pulled from the bag that night was one of my 9mm for a county police officer who answered the call when off duty and was caught without a weapon.
Yes, there were plenty of people to help, but the most impact I could make was in the hospital with my team. I also had calls to bring my German Shepherd out for search work but again I was most productive where the casualties were being brought. ( one of my training friends did receive a plaque from the governor for the work he and his dog did).
What do you do is a tougher question than you would think during those times. I think you identify where you can positively impact the most people and consider EVERYTHING else as noise. Then when it is done you help pick up the little pieces.
Best to all,
Greg

#4 ·
Greg, I have to admit I think I'm mixing up Joplin and Moore, we reviewed and took examples from both. Both were EF-5 tornado's and both were devastating. Moore's tornado struck multiple schools and none of which had a designated shelter.

Self-Dispatching is a double edge sword, it puts more bodies in the debris zone, untrained and often scared family, friends, curious, ect will all show up from all over.

A parent going a hundred plus in the debris zone trying to get their child...It could very easily end extremely badly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.