Ace Adventures - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
En Route or Completed Expeditions This is for reports and photos from the road or of completed expeditions

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ace Adventures

EDIT: quit full time travel in October 2012, but still traveling as much as budget allows, now limited by a mortgage, taxes, etc.

Now in my 9th year of full time traveling and my focus has been increasingly more into adventure travel recently. I am presently camped in Moab waiting for some upgrades on my truck. Since April I have attended Overland Expo in Tuscon,an extended exploration of the San Rafael Swell and Cruise Moab. Next up will be Sedona Fest in June, The FJ Summit in July and All-4-Fun in August. In between there will be lots of off-road exploration whereever my wheels take me. I don't travel on a tight schedule, make no long term plans (except for events listed), and often stay in one location and do short trips from there. I travel alone most of the time but my good trail dog Kyla always goes along. I welcome others with similar interests to join in on my travels, for a weekend or a week. I stick to Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace principles and keep a clean and quiet camp.

I have been playing in the dirt for around 50 years, traveled all 50 states and extended travel in Baja. Currently working on completing my Overland Certificate with Wilderness First Aid the last step in July.

I plan to update this thread as my travels progress.

Ace

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.

Last edited by Ace Brown; 03-22-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Sockless Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Ace Adventures

Sweet! I can't wait to read about your progress

#3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That's great, Ace! I look forward to your trail tales. What "upgrades" are you awaiting? Let me know about any used parts you are swapping out for upgraded new parts.

rack,rails,lift,tires,paint,wheels,bumpers,snorkel ,lights,scratches,etc.

http://smokeymountaincruisers.shutterfly.com/
DO ROCKS!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Hey Ace...Glad your out enjoying the great Western Outback! I'm looking forward to see your new Mods! When you head south again look me up and we will hit the trails! Maybe I can camp at Holder Mine when your back and we can sit around the camp fire and you can share your Adventures to a few cold ones!

Fabtech 6"+ OME 3" 20" BBS
Federal 35" M/T,1.25 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy Outfitters bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill
#5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Ace - Not sure what your free time is like with your travels, but several of us will be in Moab in late June. It would begreat to meet up if you are still around then.

Be sure to keep us updated on your travels with some pictures.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage

Ace, I have plenty of bungie cords. Do you have room on the roof rack to take me along so I can see all the great places you get to see ?

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

My post brought out several questions. Parts I take off are disposed of quickly as I have no way to carry them. Usually some kind of trade deal with supplier or sold at next event. last year I installed a new ARB rack just before the Summit. I carried my old rack to the summit and had it sold within an hour of arriving... good fortune as I would not have carried it any futher.

Recent mods have been BFG A/Ts in 315/75R-16 on Eagle Alloys. Old wheels already spoken for. 285 BFG were scrapped at 43,000 miles. I am writing this at Moab 4X4 while getting 4.88's installed. Struggled with decision on AT's versus MT's but with so much time on the highways I reluctantly stuck with AT's. Never got stuck with them in 43k miles, at least when they were touching the ground....

Next up will be heading south to the Sedona Fest then I will be staying in Arizona through mid-July. Then back up north to Colorado for the Summit followed by All-4-Fun Week in Silverton. The rest of the summer and fall are unplanned at this writing but expect to head back to Idaho for more exploration and maybe on into Washington and Oregon.

I don't know if I will get down to Florida this winter. I'd prefer to spend it in Baja but the continuing violence in Mexico makes me think twice about that.

Again, I invite anyone to join me for a while and bungee cords are not required.

Ace

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to targa88

Alan,
It was good to meet you @ SRS. A bit of a congregation of TiM FJCs. Kyla is a good dog and I dare say a great companion - while you travel solo.
I marvel at your resolve to travel permanently.
Have you decided on which trailer yet?
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
targa88 previously said: View Post
Alan,
It was good to meet you @ SRS. A bit of a congregation of TiM FJCs. Kyla is a good dog and I dare say a great companion - while you travel solo.
I marvel at your resolve to travel permanently.
Have you decided on which trailer yet?
Thanks for the kind words. Good meeting you too.

Still struggling with trailer decision. Hope to get down to AT soon and look at builds in progress.

Ace (aka Alan)

#10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Finally got the 4.88's installed and after a lengthy break-in period I am on the road again heading to Sedonafest. Will post more on the gear swap on another thread next time I get online.

Considering an exploration of the Arizona Strip soon. Anyone interested?

Alan

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > En Route or Completed Expeditions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.